Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 613 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I just got denied for the Water Street Affordable Housing Complex, it stated we were over the income by $1100. We obviously want to appeal! My boyfriend and I work for the same company, a non profit art education company, I am a full time employee and he has a 1099 and is a teaching artist. He also works 1 day at another job. Together we make $2,600 monthly but it fluctuates since my boyfriend is a TA and doesn't make this during the summer. My questions are:

I emailed my business director asking for a letter stating we were not paid for the summer (end of June, July and August) and that the apartment complex over estimated my income, do you think this will work?

Should I also explain that their estimated gross income was COMPLETELY wrong and what my actual income is?

We're young (24 & 29) so we don't have investment, a couple of thousand (me 1g, him 2g) in the bank, but that's for moving purposes, was that taken in effect too?

Do I need an attorney or some type of legal aid help?

I received this letter today 2/9, but it's dated 2/5 so I want to make sure I do something ASAP.

We obviously desperatly want this apartment and will try our hardest, but is it worth all this? Any help is appreciated, I am also going to call 311 tomorrow to see if I can get any advice.

Thanks to any help, we appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Try 311 and ask for legal aid society helpline and see if you can get any information.

If you intend to appeal, I think you might have to provide income for the most recent 4 weeks of paystub. Now, that boils down to if the appeal board will grant your appeal or not, and with that, I don't think anyone would have an answer for it.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I think you have a good argument for an appeal.

Did you fully explain to them the non-pay for Summer issue when you had your interview? Did they seem to understand?

Hurry, because a possible scenario is "Yes, you now qualify unfortunately the apartments have been filled and we'll put you on a waiting list" (which means bye, bye.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City