Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:28 PM

26 posts, read 25,048 times

Advertisements

Your take home will be around 2200 a month assuming you get benefits, fsa and contribute (5%) to a 401k/403b. You won't have much to spend per month on extra things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:36 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,665,923 times
A studio apartment in FH/Kew Gardens is at least $1200 a month.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:37 PM

17 posts, read 44,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolny1 View Post
Your take home will be around 2200 a month assuming you get benefits, fsa and contribute (5%) to a 401k/403b. You won't have much to spend per month on extra things...
you mean after paying rent, remaining 2200 or w/o rent?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:43 PM

69 posts, read 93,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermagirl View Post
shops in 5th ave, macys...go to broadways, eat in nice restaurants
I mean... there's a bit of a discrepancy between Dolce and Gabbana and Macy's. And whether you need to eat downtown, whether you need a few drinks with your meal, etc., etc.

It all comes down to just living smart, to be honest. Biggest advice I could give if you want to be able to shop is to trim your housing expenses. Work it to ~$1000ish (could probably knock it down to $700 - $800 in those areas if you take your time) by getting a roommate or two and you'll have money to spend going out to eat at an expensive restaurant a few times a month or seasonally shopping at high-end department stores.

My girlfriend works as a Veterinary Resident, making $50,000 a year. She has a studio in Inwood for $1275 a month. She could afford to go out maybe twice a month to somewhere more expensive, but for the most part does take-out or cooks at home. She does buy a lot of clothes and shoes, but never really anything too expensive.

In any case, you will be (and should be regardless) checking your bank account often.

I'm the first to say this city isn't as bad expense-wise as people make it out to be, but it can and will catch you slipping financially if you're not diligent.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 PM

168 posts, read 349,229 times
A studio in Forest Hills goes for way more than $1,200. LOL! Right now they're running well over $1,500 but you could get lucky with a small one or further from the subway. 1-beds average around $1,750-$1,900. I live a small, dated walkup with no amenities, no super, and 1-beds are $1,795. They are rented immediately when there's a vacancy. Below $1,200 in Forest Hills is only possible with a roommate.

You'd be better off in Kew Gardens or Rego Park, or even the parts of Forest Hills with lower "avenue/drive/street/road" etc. numbers (like 62-67).

But yes, you can easily live in Forest Hills on that salary. Two years ago I was making less than that and living in FH, quite comfortably. I'm making more now because I do freelance work, but I was making $55,000 before and had no problems living on it.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrish View Post
A studio in Forest Hills goes for way more than $1,200. LOL! Right now they're running well over $1,500 but you could get lucky with a small one or further from the subway. 1-beds average around $1,750-$1,900. I live a small, dated walkup with no amenities, no super, and 1-beds are $1,795. They are rented immediately when there's a vacancy. Below $1,200 in Forest Hills is only possible with a roommate.

You'd be better off in Kew Gardens or Rego Park, or even the parts of Forest Hills with lower "avenue/drive/street/road" etc. numbers (like 62-67).

But yes, you can easily live in Forest Hills on that salary. Two years ago I was making less than that and living in FH, quite comfortably. I'm making more now because I do freelance work, but I was making $55,000 before and had no problems living on it.
Yep,

what this person said. And Kew Gardens will see your money stretch a bit further.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:30 PM

43 posts, read 78,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Yep,

what this person said. And Kew Gardens will see your money stretch a bit further.
Agreed, I lived in an Junior 4 apartment in Kew Gardens for almost 17 years. I just bought in the area, but my old apartment was going for $1500.00 by the time I left.
Of course when I originally moved there my rent was $750.00....I miss those days...

Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 PM

168 posts, read 349,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomgirl View Post
Agreed, I lived in an Junior 4 apartment in Kew Gardens for almost 17 years. I just bought in the area, but my old apartment was going for $1500.00 by the time I left.
Of course when I originally moved there my rent was $750.00....I miss those days...
In 1997 I had a 1,000 sq ft 2-BR in Forest Hills with 6 big closets, for $975. I miss those days too. LOL

Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.man View Post
I mean... there's a bit of a discrepancy between Dolce and Gabbana and Macy's. And whether you need to eat downtown, whether you need a few drinks with your meal, etc., etc.

It all comes down to just living smart, to be honest. Biggest advice I could give if you want to be able to shop is to trim your housing expenses. Work it to ~$1000ish (could probably knock it down to $700 - $800 in those areas if you take your time) by getting a roommate or two and you'll have money to spend going out to eat at an expensive restaurant a few times a month or seasonally shopping at high-end department stores.

My girlfriend works as a Veterinary Resident, making $50,000 a year. She has a studio in Inwood for $1275 a month. She could afford to go out maybe twice a month to somewhere more expensive, but for the most part does take-out or cooks at home. She does buy a lot of clothes and shoes, but never really anything too expensive.

In any case, you will be (and should be regardless) checking your bank account often.

I'm the first to say this city isn't as bad expense-wise as people make it out to be, but it can and will catch you slipping financially if you're not diligent.
Yea ! If you live within your means , " keywords "within your means" you will be fine.

If you want to party downtown every-night, eat at Phillipes and try to keep up with the Joneses... then you will be out of luck very soon.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomgirl View Post
A family friend is renting a one bedroom in Kew Gardens for 1100 and the two bedroom downstairs from me is going for 1600. The rents are good over here. I am not a fan of Kew Gardens by any means but its not bad out here in terms of price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City