Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:12 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
That's why we disagree and would vote differently on a jury and act differently as a sheriff, judge or prosecutor. And that's why traffic stops should be illegal and according to my view already illegal. People shouldn't have to be afraid for their lives because of what a cop may or may not infer is happening in a situation. Aside from a person who is driving very recklessly, pulling someone over is wrong. People have a right to be safe in their cars from being pulled to the side of the road and not knowing how a man with a gun and badge will react. Many women have been raped by cops who pull them over. Fellow motorists also have a right to not be distracted by a car being pulled over. More people are killed in crashes because of cops pulling people over than die from speeding. And a lot of people are pulled over for not wearing a seat belt which does not violate anyones rights or harm anyone.

We have a different idea of what policing should be and is acceptable. Ultimately it's in the power of every individual cop to decide how to act and work.
Extreme libertarians are weirdos, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 02:16 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Officer Who Fatally Shot Akai Gurley Released Without Bail

Officer Who Fatally Shot Akai Gurley Released Without Bail: Gothamist

I'd love one of our legal eagles to justify this for me
That is easy. Bail exists for one reason and one reason only: the ensure the defendant's return to court. If no indication exists that the defendant will flee justice, bail is not warranted or permitted. Sit in on arraignments some time and you will learn that PO Liang being released ROR is not uncommon, no matter the seriousness of the crime.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:00 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Interesting new twist to this case. Evidently the main reason this cop was indicted is because his partner turned on him and will testify against him in exchange for immunity.

Partner gets immunity for testifying against cop in Gurley case | New York Post

“I don’t think you would have any case against Liang without the testimony of Landau,” a law-enforcement source told The Post

This doesn't usually happen but I'm sure it was much easier to turn/testify against a chinese cop than if he had been let's say,Irish.

Will a cop who testifies against his partner be able to remain on the NYPD ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-13-2015 at 04:09 AM..

Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Interesting new twist to this case. Evidently the main reason this cop was indicted is because his partner turned on him and will testify against him in exchange for immunity.

Partner gets immunity for testifying against cop in Gurley case | New York Post

“I don’t think you would have any case against Liang without the testimony of Landau,†a law-enforcement source told The Post

This doesn't usually happen but I'm sure it was much easier to turn/testify against a chinese cop than if he had been let's say,Irish.

Will a cop who testifies against his partner be able to remain on the NYPD ?
You have to go into the whole Chinese as opposed to Irish thing huh? They were going to interview him anyway. Now you will get a true version of what happened. Again as I said before the rookie cop made a colossal mistake. It cost Mr Gurleys life. It will be up to a jury to decide if it meets a criminal threshold. As far as Landau staying on the NYPD there were several officers that testified against Justin Volpe and they still remain on the job today.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
You have to go into the whole Chinese as opposed to Irish thing huh? They were going to interview him anyway. Now you will get a true version of what happened. Again as I said before the rookie cop made a colossal mistake. It cost Mr Gurleys life. It will be up to a jury to decide if it meets a criminal threshold. As far as Landau staying on the NYPD there were several officers that testified against Justin Volpe and they still remain on the job today.
I think Landau is cooperating because he could have been charged for not calling 911 when the guy was shot.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
rule #1: for all rookie cops, say no to any assignments in ghetto buildings especially after dark. It is a death trap. You either risk being killed by a loose criminal or being indicted if you are proactive in defending yourself.

A driver could kill pedestrians in broad daylight but facing no legal consequences, but a cop working in an extremely spooky situation would be indicted for an accidental shooting not aimed directly at the victim. The law has to be amended to be consistent and fair.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I think Landau is cooperating because he could have been charged for not calling 911 when the guy was shot.
Yeah but that would be a minor charge. He would be cooperating anyway. Probably will lose his job regardless. Two careers down the drain because the rookie cop had his finger on the trigger. Again as I said before Rookies shouldn't be working with other Rookies!!!! Recipe for disaster!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
rule #1: for all rookie cops, say no to any assignments in ghetto buildings especially after dark. It is a death trap. You either risk being killed by a loose criminal or being indicted if you are proactive in defending yourself.

A driver could kill pedestrians in broad daylight but facing no legal consequences, but a cop working in an extremely spooky situation would be indicted for an accidental shooting not aimed directly at the victim. The law has to be amended to be consistent and fair.
Problem is a rookie can't say no...otherwise they'll get disciplined or fired.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Yeah but that would be a minor charge. He would be cooperating anyway. Probably will lose his job regardless. Two careers down the drain because the rookie cop had his finger on the trigger. Again as I said before Rookies shouldn't be working with other Rookies!!!! Recipe for disaster!
The vets are sure not taking the dangerous assignments to patrol the bad areas. Someone's got to do the work.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:00 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
They would be fired immediately for COWARDICE as they SHOULD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City