Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 PM

260 posts, read 434,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The Asians have discovered Bath Beach Brooklyn, all the old charming homes are being leved and these ugly 3 story "fortresses" are being replaced in their place. All different steel doors installed on the same house, Bars all over the windows, horrible, simply horrible

My neighborhood is being ruined by these types of homes, completely ruined.
As usual, most complaints about Chinese immigrants relate to aesthetics. They aren't the cleanliest people either, so that's a big one.

Measurably they rank higher than almost any other group in this city. Very high standardized scores among their children, very low violent crime rates. While the older generation may not assimilate well, their children go on to the specialized high schools and to great universities, despite being relatively poor.

Old timers in Brooklyn tend to complain a lot about them, but younger people who grow up with the children of Chinese immigrants don't seem to have much of a problem. Their family values are strong, and their work ethic is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 11:30 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
As usual, most complaints about Chinese immigrants relate to aesthetics. They aren't the cleanliest people either, so that's a big one.
That is a racist statement.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:32 AM

769 posts, read 1,015,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That is a racist statement.
Call it what you want, but it is certainly true. Chinese sanitization standards consist of pouring boiling water on surfaces to clean them and kill bacteria.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 AM

168 posts, read 349,493 times
My building has seen one illegal business after another... ALL by Chinese immigrants. The latest one involves washing pots and pans (which can be very loud, banging in the sink) for sometimes 6-8 hours straight, until late at night. From the hallway it sounds like a restaurant kitchen... pots crashing, dishes clattering, people screaming, etc. And the ridiculous use of hot water affects all of us, as we can't shower or do our own dishes. The landlord recently installed a water meter, and we are no doubt going to see the effect of this latest illegal business reflected in our next rent increase.

This kind of thing happens all over the city, but in my building alone, I have seen endless groups of unknown Chinese people with suitcases coming and going on a daily basis (and a burglary on the same floor) at all hours, the front door often left open to accommodate them. I've entered the foyer on a Sunday afternoon to be greeted by a Chinese girl screaming in orgasm from three floors above, as men stream in and out of her apartment. Now the catering business being operated next door, driving me crazy with the noise, using all the hot water, and threatening me if I report them.

Sorry, even as a bleeding-heart liberal, I can recognize when a certain group exhibits certain characteristics, and in this city, the Chinese on the whole tend to be loud, rude, aggressive, unhygienic, oblivious to the standards of public behavior and basically lawless. I do understand that this is a product of the culture they come from, and that this is normal behavior there. But they're not there... they're here, and they need to stop doing this crap HERE. I'm not saying they're all like that--the people on one side of me and below me are also Chinese, but they're regular, respectable, hard-working people who don't disturb anyone. Unfortunately, they are not the norm.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:43 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
Many cities in china are so densely populated, it makes nyc look like Montana. There's so many people, they live like rats over there, especially many of the poorest, who immigrate over here. Very little respect for personal space or sense of community. And as someone said, not 1st world cleanliness standards. It's not racist, just how it is over there. And it tends to come here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Call it what you want, but it is certainly true. Chinese sanitization standards consist of pouring boiling water on surfaces to clean them and kill bacteria.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrish View Post
My building has seen one illegal business after another... ALL by Chinese immigrants. The latest one involves washing pots and pans (which can be very loud, banging in the sink) for sometimes 6-8 hours straight, until late at night. From the hallway it sounds like a restaurant kitchen... pots crashing, dishes clattering, people screaming, etc. And the ridiculous use of hot water affects all of us, as we can't shower or do our own dishes. The landlord recently installed a water meter, and we are no doubt going to see the effect of this latest illegal business reflected in our next rent increase.

This kind of thing happens all over the city, but in my building alone, I have seen endless groups of unknown Chinese people with suitcases coming and going on a daily basis (and a burglary on the same floor) at all hours, the front door often left open to accommodate them. I've entered the foyer on a Sunday afternoon to be greeted by a Chinese girl screaming in orgasm from three floors above, as men stream in and out of her apartment. Now the catering business being operated next door, driving me crazy with the noise, using all the hot water, and threatening me if I report them.

Sorry, even as a bleeding-heart liberal, I can recognize when a certain group exhibits certain characteristics, and in this city, the Chinese on the whole tend to be loud, rude, aggressive, unhygienic, oblivious to the standards of public behavior and basically lawless. I do understand that this is a product of the culture they come from, and that this is normal behavior there. But they're not there... they're here, and they need to stop doing this crap HERE. I'm not saying they're all like that--the people on one side of me and below me are also Chinese, but they're regular, respectable, hard-working people who don't disturb anyone. Unfortunately, they are not the norm.
I would say this speak more about you than it does about them. Most affluent and educated Chinese people don't behave the way you outline. You live in a cheap building that is affordable for an immigrant worker to access. I dated a girl who rented a room in a similar building you described, her landlord was a poor immigrant worker who couldn't speak English and had a high school diploma. She and her husband worked as waiters and tried to start services business within the Chinese community. For them, they would never have been able to socially climb as quickly in china (very poor) to middle class like the US (own an apartment).

Most affluent and educated Chinese live in the surrounding suburbs around flushing for a reason (bayside, whitestone, long island).

Old 02-16-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I would say this speak more about you than it does about them. Most affluent and educated Chinese people don't behave the way you outline. You live in a cheap building that is affordable for an immigrant worker to access. I dated a girl who rented a room in a similar building you described, her landlord was a poor immigrant worker who couldn't speak English and had a high school diploma. She and her husband worked as waiters and tried to start services business within the Chinese community. For them, they would never have been able to socially climb as quickly in china to middle class like the US (own a apartment).

Most affluent Chinese live in the surrounding suburbs around flushing for a reason (bayside, whitestone, long island).
They break the law, and this says something about ME?

And for the record, my building is hardly cheap. It's a small walkup in Forest Hills, Queens... and 1-bedrooms go for around $1,800. The reason these types flock here and set up camp is not because it's cheap, or because of something I'm doing wrong (WTF KIND OF LOGIC IS THAT??), but because we have no onsite super to oversee what people are up to. That's GOLD to criminals.

And you obviously haven't been to Forest Hills lately. (It used to be overwhelmingly Russian/Jewish, but now you see mostly Chinese. Every person who views and rents apartments in my building is Chinese.) Nor have you been to Elmhurst, Rego Park or Kew Gardens.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:41 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Many cities in china are so densely populated, it makes nyc look like Montana. There's so many people, they live like rats over there, especially many of the poorest, who immigrate over here.
How do you define many? If it absolute numbers than it will sound like a lot but by percentage it not as much. The type of person you are describing are migrant workers in china who leave the most rural areas to the major cities. Most don't live like that over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Very little respect for personal space or sense of community.
The concept of personal space is foreign to them due to population size over there. US are paranoid people who worship personal space given how much they value suburban life for the past generations (concept that is foreign internationally).

Old 02-16-2015, 11:43 AM

Basically, smaller landlords need to stop being seduced by briefcases full of cash, and start doing more due diligence. They need to care about who's living in their buildings, and about the safety of their tenants. When you've got an illegal hotel operating in your building, and the tenant across from it gets burglarized, that should matter. When your law-abiding tenants tell you that other tenants are doing not-so-legal things that disrupt others, that should matter. Instead, all that ever matters is whether or not the offending parties pay the rent on time.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The concept of personal space is foreign to them due to population size over there. US are paranoid people who worship personal space given how much they value suburban life for the past generations (concept that is foreign internationally).
They're not over there. They're over here. And the concept of personal space exists here, so they are the ones who need to adapt to the concepts that exist where they are, not where they came from. Just because your culture thousands of miles away dictates that it's normal to have 6 people crammed into a small 1-BR apartment, stomping, screaming and keeping insane hours, that doesn't mean you have the right to inflict that on your neighbors in a place with a completely different culture. For one, you signed a lease that you're violating by doing all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City