Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,338 times

Advertisements

I was in the car at the time waiting to pick up my husband stopped at a "no standing" sign. The officer walked up to the car and just said “you can’t stay here” and proceeded to scan my windshield. My husband who was across the street saw part of what happened. I am not sure if this is releveant of not, but this also happened around the time when Mayor De Blasio called out the NYPD work slowdown and according to the media, resulted in a jump in tickets.

Can I contest the ticket since I was picking up my husband and can he be a witness to contest this ticket? What evidence or proof would I need?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:08 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
no standing is no standing , not a minute , not a second , not ever. what are you going to contest? no standing means you can not stop to pick up or discharge passengers there .

it has nothing to do with no parking , where you can stop to pick up and discharge passengers .

Old 02-15-2015, 07:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Yam,

What you were doing was precisely STANDING (sitting at the curb in a non moving car.)
So don't waste your time contesting this.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:34 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
my favorite sign here in fort totten in bayside.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Right, just pay the ticket. Would be a waste of time and stress to contest it. Lesson learned...even if you were to stand, be vigilant for the officers and be ready to take off asap as soon as you spot them.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:02 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
There's nothing to contest. You were standing/idling in a "No Standing" zone. True, police officers often, as a courtesy, give drivers an opportunity to move along before writing tickets, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they can write tickets for the offense regardless of how long you are standing in the zone and without a warning. I'd pay the fine and not wait contest as you could end up having to pay late fees by the time you're done fighting this/have a court date.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I see a lot of wrong information in this thread. In fact, you MAY drop off or pick up a passenger in a "No Standing" location. It even says so on the NYC.gov website.

However, as far as I understand it, you must be IN THE ACT of dropping off or picking up the passenger, as in, they should be getting in or out of the car. You can't be waiting for them while they do an errand across the street.

From NYC.GOV
NO STANDING REGULATION
Sign indicates that vehicles may NOT stand at this location. You may not wait or stop to load/unload packages or merchandise at curbside. You may stop to expeditiously drop off or pick up passengers.

Parking Regulations

Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no standing is no standing , not a minute , not a second , not ever. what are you going to contest? no standing means you can not stop to pick up or discharge passengers there .

it has nothing to do with no parking , where you can stop to pick up and discharge passengers .
That's not true.
No Standing and No STOPPING are two totally different things.

If she was loading or unloading a passenger, that is not 'standing'.
If her husband was within sight and close distance to the vehicle she should contest the ticket.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:42 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
That's not true.
No Standing and No STOPPING are two totally different things.

If she was loading or unloading a passenger, that is not 'standing'.
If her husband was within sight and close distance to the vehicle she should contest the ticket.
Even if that's the case, does this get you off the hook in court when you explain it to the judge? Doubt it.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
I think you should give it a try, and simply letting the judge know that you are just picking up a passenger. If you don't have any previous history with tickets, then you might be granted for one time courtesy from the judge.

There's downside and upside for it. Upside, you might be able to get your fee waive. Downside, you might waste your time and a day of work to go for the contest, and you still end up paying for the ticket.

However, if you don't contest at all, your chance is 0%, compare to 50% if you try to attend.

Think through the upside and the downside yourself, and decide what is more important to you, and make a final judgement call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: