Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times

Advertisements

Remember the Democrat credo- "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 PM

725 posts, read 805,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Right if a drunk reckless driver is coming down the street it's your responsibility to notice it so you will now not to go across the street and get hit.

Actually it's partially your responsibility to be aware of what goes on around you. If you see someone driving reckless it is your responsibility to stay away. If I see a thug on one side of the street I move to the other side. Same principle.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
I would REALLY love to see the NYPD crack down on jaywalking and bicyclists that disobey the law. I have lived in NYC my entire life and can tell you first hand that 90% of all accidents involving a vehicle and pedestrian are due to pedestrians who walk in traffic with no regard to the law or safety.

They have zero regard of the traffic lights. They want to cross on their light AND when its not their light. They have their heads buried in their smartphones or have music blasting in their ears and are oblivious to what's going on around them. They cross with this sense of entitlement as if you must stop for them despite the fact that they are breaking the law and crossing against their light.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:46 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
I drive everyday. I see just as many careless drivers as pedestrians. A careless pedestrian is a danger to himself. A careless driver is a danger to others.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I drive everyday. I see just as many careless drivers as pedestrians. A careless pedestrian is a danger to himself. A careless driver is a danger to others.
You never heard of an accident by a driver trying to avoid a careless pedestrian?

Old 02-18-2015, 10:42 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Agreed. But conversely, when pedestrians are clearly not at fault and they had the right of way (with the walk symbol) the driver should be liable unless there are additional circumstances. Surely a competent driver paying attention should be able to yield to a pedestrian with the right of way?

Pedestrians With the Right of Way Should Always Have Protection of the Law | Streetsblog New York City
Yeah, sure. If a driver hits a pedestrian because they ran a red light, were texting a driving, or what have you, then yes, the driver should be punished. The exact punishment would depend on the specifics of the incident, but yes they should be held liable at least to a large extent.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:30 AM

725 posts, read 805,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I would REALLY love to see the NYPD crack down on jaywalking and bicyclists that disobey the law. I have lived in NYC my entire life and can tell you first hand that 90% of all accidents involving a vehicle and pedestrian are due to pedestrians who walk in traffic with no regard to the law or safety.

They have zero regard of the traffic lights. They want to cross on their light AND when its not their light. They have their heads buried in their smartphones or have music blasting in their ears and are oblivious to what's going on around them. They cross with this sense of entitlement as if you must stop for them despite the fact that they are breaking the law and crossing against their light.

So cops can have more opportunity to abuse the public? Maybe the cops should start enforcing the laws on the books that say people can't laugh in public. I'm not joking some cities actually have those laws from the 1800s on the books. But those laws are invalid and abuse. People have no criminal intent when doing those things just like with jaywalking because it's normal everyday behavior. I don't think its acceptable for the police to be stopping people in the street and if they don't do exactly as the cops want, throw them on the ground and beat them. Every single law that is on the books or enforced is an opportunity for the cops to abuse the public.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
"Vision Zero" included a change to the law where non-impaired drivers can be arrested for "failure to yield" to a pedestrian. Theoretically that could make sense and the intent is good. However in NYC the volume of pedestrians and vehicles have turned accidents into crimes. A bus driver was recently arrested when he hit a girl who was in his blind spot and some reports say she was texting as she crossed the street. She may have had the right of way but pedestrians need to take some responsibility for their safety. If I'm not positive a bus sees me, I'm going to wait until I'm sure. I think this is a bad law as to how it seems to be being applied.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/14/ny...rged.html?_r=0
OMG, you mean drivers might have to watch where they're going now??? To avoid killing people??!! How is that even fair?

Old 02-20-2015, 05:29 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
OMG, you mean drivers might have to watch where they're going now??? To avoid killing people??!! How is that even fair?
You think that bus driver decided not to look where he was going and just plowed into her?

Old 02-20-2015, 04:09 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
You think that bus driver decided not to look where he was going and just plowed into her?
Based on plenty of buses I've encountered in my day, I have zero difficulty imagining that that was exactly the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: