Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New York worth it?
Yes, I think you should go New York. 9 39.13%
I think you should go to Philadelphia instead. 2 8.70%
It would be better if you opt for Chicago. 2 8.70%
I wouldn't go to New York if I was you. 6 26.09%
You're out of luck. You'll need to figure something else out. 1 4.35%
You're basically screwed, Bro. 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 PM

24 posts, read 34,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
You don't see a lot of young college aged teens in New York City, unless they're deathly poor living in the projects or if they're funded by their parents in their entirety.

There are no in-betweens which is where it appears you'd like to live.
Some used to exist in cheaper parts of Brooklyn... but I wager they are mostly gone now.

If you have no real business going to NYC, the other urban cities you suggested may suit you better.
Or try Detroit. You can buy up a block for a years rent in NYC.
Unlike Henna, you're a bit more fair and I appreciate that. Do remember that these are ideas and not a set goal. But like I said, my plan (B) is to go to NY, Philly, or Chi-town and become an inhabitant AND WORKER and not try to live like the King of NY for 5 years until I move back in with my parents with a credit score of 2 hahaha. So Chicago or Philly from you, remember to vote on the poll .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So what? Your parents' and grandparents' income has zero to do with yours, unless you are going into the same field and your they have a connection to hook you up with... which I highly doubt since that profession is obsolete.
Also Henna, read my first post before you come in blasting. This way, you're making sure that the enemies are there before you waste the ammunition.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieFrancis View Post
Your words alone is the most concern that I have heard from anybody for that matter. It really just made my day and I am quite happy that other people take this seriously as well. I am on medication though and on a high dosage and this is working very much for me. I really do appreciate your thought there. About community college, it would be necessary anyway for every career but construction so I will look into this too. I also appreciate your acknowledgement that I don't want to be a gentrifier and you gave me some affirming words for this too. I don't want my kids to speak to their aunt and from a third person perspective, it would be wise to cut her out. These ideas you presented me are very honest and kind and this was the kind of direction that I was looking for. Other people's opinions are very much welcome but bless you citylove101.
To be completely honest these days the majority of jobs paying well often require a masters or some other sort of graduate level education unless you want to be a civil servant. And these days civil servant jobs require at least a bachelors if they pay well, and even those officially not requiring bachelors prefer bachelors.

You should really prioritize education in a career that would sustain you at a level you can reasonable live off before coming to NYC.

NYC isn't going anywhere and if you're just 18 why the rush to move here?

With that said, one nice thing about universities is that they take the mental health of students seriously. So if you do to college, you have an option of seeking mental health services on campus for convenience and they can point you to other resources outside the college.

I do agree with the posters in saying you'll need a support network. I don't know how severe your bipolar symptoms are, but if with treatment you can do academic work well, then coming to NYC to study would provide a safer and more stable way to integrate into the city.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
To be completely honest these days the majority of jobs paying well often require a masters or some other sort of graduate level education unless you want to be a civil servant. And these days civil servant jobs require at least a bachelors if they pay well, and even those officially not requiring bachelors prefer bachelors.

You should really prioritize education in a career that would sustain you at a level you can reasonable live off before coming to NYC.

NYC isn't going anywhere and if you're just 18 why the rush to move here?

With that said, one nice thing about universities is that they take the mental health of students seriously. So if you do to college, you have an option of seeking mental health services on campus for convenience and they can point you to other resources outside the college.

I do agree with the posters in saying you'll need a support network. I don't know how severe your bipolar symptoms are, but if with treatment you can do academic work well, then coming to NYC to study would provide a safer and more stable way to integrate into the city.
I appreciate the time you took to write me back. This college thing is very important and the reason I steered away from it so much is because my father went to school and is still paying off his debt well into his forties. I normally think that if I get a working class job (which I am for all the way through as I'm not trying to be the next Chief Justice) than I would be fine as I'm not for living beyond ones financial capacity and going out of ones way to see things that others have beat him too (Like a trip to Paris or something.) Pa says there is this good Catholic college in the Bronx. The name escapes me but he continues to suggest that anytime I bring up New York whether its about me or a friggin' Yankees game hahaha. Hell he straight even told me to go to New York and go to College. As I continue to say though, I'm not going for the "big city life" experience in Manhattan and swanky bars and Broadway, I just want to raise my family in a New York kind of way that my father has conditioned us to be so sentimental about. When people my age start talking about New York in particular, the audience automatically assume its for the "How to Make it in America" experience (if you've seen that TV show.) I now see that it is especially hard to convince them otherwise but I do hold some options that others respect so I got that going for me. I'll continue to look into education my good Sir.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
I appreciate the time you took to write me back. This college thing is very important and the reason I steered away from it so much is because my father went to school and is still paying off his debt well into his forties. I normally think that if I get a working class job (which I am for all the way through as I'm not trying to be the next Chief Justice) than I would be fine as I'm not for living beyond ones financial capacity and going out of ones way to see things that others have beat him too (Like a trip to Paris or something.) Pa says there is this good Catholic college in the Bronx. The name escapes me but he continues to suggest that anytime I bring up New York whether its about me or a friggin' Yankees game hahaha. Hell he straight even told me to go to New York and go to College. As I continue to say though, I'm not going for the "big city life" experience in Manhattan and swanky bars and Broadway, I just want to raise my family in a New York kind of way that my father has conditioned us to be so sentimental about. When people my age start talking about New York in particular, the audience automatically assume its for the "How to Make it in America" experience (if you've seen that TV show.) I now see that it is especially hard to convince them otherwise but I do hold some options that others respect so I got that going for me. I'll continue to look into education my good Sir.
Even the Bronx today is not cheap. Working class people who are not paying much rent even in the Bronx tend to be grandfathered into rent stabilized apartments or purchased property a long time ago. Or they inherited property from their parents. Or others may be living in affordable housing, but good luck in applying. It can take years to get 80/20, LAMP, Mitchell Lama, Section 8, or NYCHA apartments.

If you just come here out of nowhere without an adequate plan you're likely to live with lots of roommates and have no housing stability. Suppose you rent a room and find out your roommate doesn't pay the rent? Good luck being evicted, and the Bronx leads NYC in evictions.

If you aren't already from NYC or don't have family or friends to host you it is not worth moving to NYC to try out for working class jobs. I think you're living in a fantasy and trying to recreate your Dad's life.

But it's not happening. A studio in a crappy part of the NORTH BRONX is going to cost at least 1000 market rate. And you're talking about raising a family (when you haven't even established a realistic career plan).

If you do consider the Catholic college in the Bronx, the name is Fordham University.

I know mental illness can obscure things, and it can be difficult for so called normal people to be honest about themselves. But you are going to have to look deep down in your soul and be honest with yourself about things. Plenty of mentally ill people move to the city and join our huge ranks of the homeless.

For working class jobs, you would be competing with legions of poor people already in NYC, plus many immigrants. With Obama granting legal status to a number of illegals, this may worsen the competition in the short term for low skilled jobs in certain major cities. As pro NYC as I am I would urge Americans not to bother to come here for a working class job, your quality of life and future is likely to be horrible.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:07 AM

159 posts, read 177,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
You are young and bipolar. Sure, come to NYC. What could go wrong?
He'll fit in just fine

Old 02-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Even the Bronx today is not cheap. Working class people who are not paying much rent even in the Bronx tend to be grandfathered into rent stabilized apartments or purchased property a long time ago. Or they inherited property from their parents. Or others may be living in affordable housing, but good luck in applying. It can take years to get 80/20, LAMP, Mitchell Lama, Section 8, or NYCHA apartments.

If you just come here out of nowhere without an adequate plan you're likely to live with lots of roommates and have no housing stability. Suppose you rent a room and find out your roommate doesn't pay the rent? Good luck being evicted, and the Bronx leads NYC in evictions.

If you aren't already from NYC or don't have family or friends to host you it is not worth moving to NYC to try out for working class jobs. I think you're living in a fantasy and trying to recreate your Dad's life.

But it's not happening. A studio in a crappy part of the NORTH BRONX is going to cost at least 1000 market rate. And you're talking about raising a family (when you haven't even established a realistic career plan).

If you do consider the Catholic college in the Bronx, the name is Fordham University.

I know mental illness can obscure things, and it can be difficult for so called normal people to be honest about themselves. But you are going to have to look deep down in your soul and be honest with yourself about things. Plenty of mentally ill people move to the city and join our huge ranks of the homeless.

For working class jobs, you would be competing with legions of poor people already in NYC, plus many immigrants. With Obama granting legal status to a number of illegals, this may worsen the competition in the short term for low skilled jobs in certain major cities. As pro NYC as I am I would urge Americans not to bother to come here for a working class job, your quality of life and future is likely to be horrible.
I also seriously get the impression that you have not read my other posts aside from the ones that I've replied to yours directly. Telling someone with a mental disorder that they aren't thinking correctly and that I'm being incompetent because of it is actually one of the rudest, cruelest, and most condescending things that you can say to someone like me. At that point; you're making them feel guilty and making them feel irresponsible and incomplete as an adult over something that they have little control over. This is like telling a kid with cancer who wants to become a lawyer that he doesn't have enough time to do so because he would be dead at that point. You don't actually know the extent of my illness and you just assumed that, because I said something that you don't agree with; that I'm not being mentally sanitary or capable to think for myself and hold thought out and versed opinions and actually know what is logical and what isn't.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 PM

202 posts, read 221,347 times
Quote:
I also seriously get the impression that you have not read my other posts aside from the ones that I've replied to yours directly. Telling someone with a mental disorder that they aren't thinking correctly and that I'm being incompetent because of it is actually one of the rudest, cruelest, and most condescending things that you can say to someone like me. At that point; you're making them feel guilty and making them feel irresponsible and incomplete as an adult over something that they have little control over. This is like telling a kid with cancer who wants to become a lawyer that he doesn't have enough time to do so because he would be dead at that point. You don't actually know the extent of my illness and you just assumed that, because I said something that you don't agree with; that I'm not being mentally sanitary or capable to think for myself and hold thought out and versed opinions and actually know what is logical and what isn't.
NyWriterdudeis a DebbieDowner. Ignore negative people, Winnie!

Old 02-17-2015, 01:22 PM

69 posts, read 93,770 times
In NYC, you're either an implant or born into the community. There's no moving here and becoming part of the community, at least not in a geographical sense (unless you've got DIRECT cultural roots shared... like you're from the DR, PR, Colombia, etc.) It doesn't matter if you have family who used to live there. You'll come here, you'll make other transplant friends and maybe a couple natives.

If your objective is to fulfill some kind of enthnographic mission, you're going to be severely disappointed.

I'm an implant. I live in Washington Heights / Inwood. Everyone treats me well. I chit-chat with my neighbors. I even play soccer with some of locals every weekend. I speak Spanish. I keep much of my business local. But I am not a part of the community, nor will I ever be. The best you can be is a conscientious outsider because it doesn't matter how much you claim to separate yourself from the others, you're still a gentrifier. But at least the people coming here for careers typically have the money to hit up the corner deli or Dominican restaurant regularly while they drive the area's rent up. You're just doing so for the sake of being broke.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
You cannot survive NYC on a 'working class' job.
You're missing that from a few posters, and assuming you'll make it.

You're either on welfare, or succeeding through great aptitude.
The 30K-60K households in the majority of NYC are gone, and the ones you can afford you'd be better off elsewhere.

Either take the advice or don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City