Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:10 PM

267 posts, read 303,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you can't grasp what the difference is, it's a waste of time having to explain it to you.

Maybe you should consider why so many posters on this thread think your question is stupid/silly/one of the most ridiculous ever seen on this forum.

You seem to have no concept of what you asked or the meaning of the words that you write. Go back and re-read it, and re-read the responses and maybe that will help you understand. Good luck.
Oh, my reading comprehension is just fine. My statements were not contradictory in any way, shape, or form. I was asking if New Yorkers generally consider or identify themselves as American, that's exactly what I meant. Perhaps it's you who should go back and re-read this thread. Either way, I'm done responding to you as it seems you're just looking for a fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Looks like the troll got to the NYers, this def was an insulting post thou.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:17 PM

267 posts, read 303,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
There was no trolling, and my intention was not to "get to" anyone. It's funny, most of the people who seem to be getting upset aren't even New Yorkers.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I wasn't insulted, just frustrated that someone can be so dense. Not surprised, though, unfortunately.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:54 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
But I didn't ask if New York is in America, I know that New York is technically in America. I asked if New Yorkers generally consider themselves to be Americans, or do they identify their nationality differently. Some of you guys' seem to be getting an attitude and it's unwarranted.
So than the map shows that we technically wake up, study, eat, sleep, work, and pay tax in America. Not warranted the question, it was a stupid.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
I'll admit I really only consider myself American when the World Cup rolls around - otherwise Im a New Yorker

Old 02-23-2015, 07:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'll admit I really only consider myself American when the World Cup rolls around - otherwise Im a New Yorker
I like that. NYers are proud of their state and have a lot of state pride but not as much as Texans lol

Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Okay. I'll be honest. I'm a New Yorker.

Yes, we are American and we know we're American.

In many ways, I'm sure we act very American. For example, the rate of voting and other citizen participation may be relatively high among New Yorkers. (correct me if I'm wrong.) We very much participate in "America" and American institutions.

However...

Many New Yorkers (myself included) feel slightly...oh, how shall I put it?...ill-at-ease when visiting other places in America.

Certainly the South and Midwest but perhaps even California and New England.
(Strangely, however, personally, I felt very comfortable in Miami, which is quite different than NYC).

Many of us feel that we wouldn't feel like we belong anywhere else in America. We wouldn't fit in.
We like that New York is (in some ways) less stereotypically "American" than other places in the U.S.
(In other ways it's very "American", in that it's an immigrant city, and America is traditionally an immigrant nation, a melting pot, etc.)

To be honest, I could sooner see myself living in a foreign city, than in most other American cities.

So yes, many of us may not identify strongly with other Americans from outside NYC.

Does that answer your question?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:52 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
OP raised a valid question and I don't understand all the uproar.

As a born and bred NYC'er, with immigrant parents, I can emphatically say that NYC is NOT America.

NYC is a culture unto its own. CA and the southwest may have tons of immigrants as well but they (as in the city/state cultures) are decidedly more American in nature.

If anyone disagrees with me then you simply haven't ventured "far" outside of NYC. You don't even have to go that far. Go to Connecticut, Vermot, Maryland, Delaware, etc.

With all of the influx of transplants, Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn have definitely a more American feel but forget about the rest of NYC. lol It's a zoo out there. It's not America.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
I can spot the non-native New Yorkers (people from elsewhere in America) a mile away on the subway in NYC.

They tend to be blonder, paler, somehow seem happier and smiley-er, are wearing either very preppy clothes (both men and women) or very unfashionable clothes, often in pastel colors, and seem to have a very different attitude than New Yorkers.

They seem very...American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City