Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:37 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,223 times

Advertisements

Mitchell-Lama apartments are sold or rented through waiting lists kept by each development. Many Mitchell-Lama waiting lists are closed because there are already enough applicants listed to fill vacancies expected for the foreseeable future. Periodically, these developments open their waiting lists and new applications are accepted based on a lottery system. Mitchell-Lama developments must advertise when they open their waiting lists. Check your local newspapers to find out when applications are being accepted.

Just a quick check on a real estate website tells me there are no apartments available at the places you mentioned. No such thing as a short waiting list for affordable housing in NYC. No such thing. If that were true, the demand for housing of that kind wouldn't be as dire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post

Like I stated: "some of those Mitchell Llama waiting lists never open." It states so right in the link you provided.[/b]
Well, actually, that's not what you said. What you said was "Forget Mitchell Lamas because they hardly ever open the waiting lists for those. " But it's ok. I understand the general concept, that finding any kind of affordable housing takes time and jumping through hoops. Either that or pure luck.

Still, I am curious about the Mitchell Lama complexes that indicate no waiting list, or as short as 1 to 3 months. Is there anyone on here who looked into this?

Old 02-19-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Actually with that low an income you could quality for emergency funds for heating/hot water.
You will not qualify for EBT until you exhaust unemployment, at which point then you would.

I'm not sure what your point is though- as you're stating on low income, you couldn't afford to survive here. So yes, the only way you could pull through is subsidies.
Not everyone will get them.

Single people who are not living in Rent Regulated units are in for a tough time without a good case worker.
Indeed.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, actually, that's not what you said. What you said was "Forget Mitchell Lamas because they hardly ever open the waiting lists for those. " But it's ok. I understand the general concept, that finding any kind of affordable housing takes time and jumping through hoops. Either that or pure luck.

Still, I am curious about the Mitchell Lama complexes that indicate no waiting list, or as short as 1 to 3 months. Is there anyone on here who looked into this?
Yes, you may as well forget them because you can't guarantee how long or how many people are on the list. No one can. Lists in and of itself should tell you something. If you have to wait to be called from a "list" it means there is a high demand and there is not enough product to go around. Most of this is common sense. This is, after all, NYC where everyone wants to come, but probably shouldn't.

"Mitchell-Lamas are located all over the city, but when it comes to actually getting into one, they’re split into two groups that have nothing to do with geography.

The first type of building maintains an “open†waiting list, where anyone can add their name at any point. Prepare to wait upwards of a decade to get to the head of one of these lists. Other buildings are “closed†and won’t take names—​they already have enough people signed up to fill apartments for the foreseeable future. However, occasionally these buildings exhaust their roster of names and open the list to the public, as Penn South did this past summer. Buildings have separate tallies for each bedroom count, so they may take names for studios and one-bedrooms but not for larger apartments, for example."

Mitchell Lama Housing | Mitchell Lama Rules | Affordable Housing NYC

Old 02-19-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, you may as well forget them because you can't guarantee how long or how many people are on the list. No one can. Lists in and of itself should tell you something. If you have to wait to be called from a "list" it means there is a high demand and there is not enough product to go around. Most of this is common sense. This is, after all, NYC where everyone wants to come, but probably shouldn't.

"Mitchell-Lamas are located all over the city, but when it comes to actually getting into one, they’re split into two groups that have nothing to do with geography.

The first type of building maintains an “open” waiting list, where anyone can add their name at any point. Prepare to wait upwards of a decade to get to the head of one of these lists. Other buildings are “closed” and won’t take names—​they already have enough people signed up to fill apartments for the foreseeable future. However, occasionally these buildings exhaust their roster of names and open the list to the public, as Penn South did this past summer. Buildings have separate tallies for each bedroom count, so they may take names for studios and one-bedrooms but not for larger apartments, for example."

Mitchell Lama Housing | Mitchell Lama Rules | Affordable Housing NYC
I see that's what the Brickunderground blog says, but the NYC.gov site itself (the one I linked to) says things like "Waiting list for a one bedroom may be UP TO three months long" -- that's for both Park Lane and Evergreen Gardens in the Bronx. So my question is --- is that a lie? "Up to three months" means it won't be longer than three months.

I was hoping to hear from someone who had tried to get into one of these Mitchell Lamas where the waiting lists for certain size bedrooms are stated to be six months or under.

Edited to say that I looked up the locations for some of the complexes that are stated to have certain-sized apartments under 6 months of wait time, and they are all in bad areas -- Brownsville, Soundview, etc. So maybe the fact is that there ARE one bedrooms available with a short wait time in these complexes, but that the rent is still too high (even with Mitchell Lama status) to make it worthwhile living in such a bad area -- and probably a bad building.

You should see the reviews on Linden Plaza Apartments http://www.apartmentratings.com/ny/b...8235055011208/ Also I imagine that many people who want subsidized apartments probably are not going to fit into a one bedroom since they tend to have too many children for their income.

Last edited by Henna; 02-19-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I see that's what the Brickunderground blog says, but the NYC.gov site itself (the one I linked to) says things like "Waiting list for a one bedroom may be UP TO three months long" -- that's for both Park Lane and Evergreen Gardens in the Bronx. So my question is --- is that a lie? "Up to three months" means it won't be longer than three months.

I was hoping to hear from someone who had tried to get into one of these Mitchell Lamas where the waiting lists for certain size bedrooms are stated to be six months or under.

Edited to say that I looked up the locations for some of the complexes that are stated to have certain-sized apartments under 6 months of wait time, and they are all in bad areas -- Brownsville, Soundview, etc. So maybe the fact is that there ARE one bedrooms available with a short wait time in these complexes, but that the rent is still too high (even with Mitchell Lama status) to make it worthwhile living in such a bad area -- and probably a bad building.

You should see the reviews on Linden Plaza Apartments Linden Plaza Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Brooklyn apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com Also I imagine that many people who want subsidized apartments probably are not going to fit into a one bedroom since they tend to have too many children for their income.
You wish. There is no such thing. Why you keep making it sound so easy to get an affordable place in NYC is baffling. It's almost embarrassing.

New York City Real Estate - Finding Desirable Homes -- New York Magazine

New Landmark Ruling: Co-ops Leaving Mitchell-Lama Need Pay No Transfer Tax | Co-op & Condo Boards | Habitat Magazine

Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM

There are lots of cheap apartments out there. The problem is it's difficult to get one.

Read more: How To Get A Cheap Apartment In New York City - Business Insider

This is the key problem with New York’s approach to affordable housing: It focuses on protecting incumbent residents, in some cases giving them huge discounts to market rents, while restricting supply and making it more difficult for new people to form households in New York.

1. Apply for inclusionary housing lotteries and cross your fingers

New York City's "inclusionary housing" program gives developers of new buildings an incentive to set aside a percentage of new apartments as affordable housing with restricted rents. The development with the “poor door” that I wrote about on Monday is an example of this: 20% of its apartments will be set aside for people with low incomes.

These apartments can be deeply discounted: behind the poor door you'll find one bedroom apartments renting for about $1,000, less than a third of the going rate on the Upper West Side.

Lots of people want these apartments, but there aren’t very many of them: only 2,800 have been built since the program started in 2005. To get one, you have to win a housing lottery. To see a list of lotteries currently accepting applications, you can go

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ticle-1.580552

Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
As for my own experience, let's just say I've worked at non profits and I've directed people where to go to various program help when they needed it.

Oh, but there are other HRA programs, and some of them offer rental assistance as well and you don't necessarily have to be disabled.

Please name some ~ it might be beneficial to those reading.

You can get food stamps if you show sufficient hardship.

I don't think anyone says you didn't have to show hardship. You do. However, they follow their guidelines to a tee and if you are a penny over it's a no go.

If you are willing to undergo job training and/or wait around HRA centers to be assigned for workfare, you can get cash public assistance. The average individual (single, able bodied) will get $120.00 a month is cash assistance.

This is primarily for those with no job experience and it is mandated. Now anyone can take advantage of workforce, but it's typically to help those who are getting assistance.

And yes, you can get medicaid if your part time job pays less than $800 a month or so. Without being elderly or disabled or having children.

Medicaid is sometimes the only thing a person can get but that takes a while.

This is not counting Section 8,

SECTION 8 can not be handed out to anyone anymore so you should not be counting it.

NYCHA, rent stabilized apartments, 80/20s, 70/30s, or Mitchell Lamas.

None of the above are easy to get into. Takes an enormous amount of time and diligence. You should know you see the threads here about housing lotteries and NYCHA. Forget Mitchell Lamas because they hardly ever open the waiting lists for those.

Single room occupancies, yes their may be some of them, but they are NOT plentiful.

Not counting SROs, Halfway houses, and other forms of shelters people stay in until they get in in whatever type of program housing they are looking for. All of this is heavily subsidized.

Halfway houses are typically used by people either finishing up a jail term on a work release or who have some mental disability and are being reintroduced into the community. There are NO HALFWAY houses for regular low income working folk. Just the leftovers they give the many to fight and vy for. Those 80/20's fill up so fast it makes your head spin. Funny too, the high rise luxury apartments sell out quickly as well.

So what if it takes a low income person years to get some of these deals? You seriously think that is going to keep them from finding ways to get government benefits?

You were on UNEMPLOYMENT, and yes, a person on UNEMPLOYMENT is not going to qualify for most social services needs. UNEMPLOYMENT is considered a SHORT TERM situation.

NOT WHEN YOU CAN GET IT FOR TWO YEARS. The great recession saw it extended and extended because the economy was not picking up jobs. Recall the term 99'ers?

Those who are permanently low income because they work minimum wage jobs, are unemployable for some reason, or who have medical or psychological issues (doctor verified) will have MUCH easier times in getting welfare benefits. They will even have plenty of friends who can advise them on how they did it.

I was born in NYC darling and I know the hood pretty well. You perhaps didn't know what you were doing when you applied for help.

I too was born in NYC and all of the scenarios you are using don't exist today. Furthermore, it's not a one sized fits all. If so these boards wouldn't be so filled with questions about them.[/quote]

Agree, I have observed many scenarios similar to the unemployed poster's. Not so much money from unemployment and little else available. Many times I have realized how lucky we are to have sufficient funds.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
[/i]

I too was born in NYC and all of the scenarios you are using don't exist today. Furthermore, it's not a one sized fits all. If so these boards wouldn't be so filled with questions about them.
Agree, I have observed many scenarios similar to the unemployed poster's. Not so much money from unemployment and little else available. Many times I have realized how lucky we are to have sufficient funds.[/quote]

Not only that, but if you already have some place to stay that you can just "stay." You need a better income to move around. Let's not forget when people get in, they don't leave easily. They know better, LOL.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
You wish. There is no such thing. Why you keep making it sound so easy to get an affordable place in NYC is baffling. It's almost embarrassing.

New York City Real Estate - Finding Desirable Homes -- New York Magazine

New Landmark Ruling: Co-ops Leaving Mitchell-Lama Need Pay No Transfer Tax | Co-op & Condo Boards | Habitat Magazine
I'm not WISHING for anything. I have a place to live. I'm actually asking for information that you personally don't have, so I'm not sure why you keep responding to me.

The fact is, I found NYC.gov documents that state that for a certain size apartment, that there is less than a 6 month wait for certain Mitchell Lama complexes. I named a few of those. I am asking people who have actually applied to get into those particular complexes for that size apartment if the wait time specified on the nyc.gov site is accurate.

I know that you don't have the answer to my question. You keep posting unrelated articles about how Mitchell Lama is difficult to get into and has long wait times. YES, I KNOW THAT'S THE CASE IN GENERAL. However, what about a one bedroom in Tracey Towers, which is supposed to be a ***hole of a Mitchell Lama complex? If you want a one bedroom there, would you wait longer than 6 months?

If the wait time is longer than 6 months, why does NYC.gov have all sorts of inaccurate information? What could they possibly want to achieve by misleading people to think the wait time is 3 months or 6 months, if the wait is actually 20+ years, as you're implying by posting all these articles.

Here's the thing. I am not actually asking you because you have already proved you don't have the answer. I am asking someone who actually knows. I happen to be quite the expert on Googling for info. I don't need your links. I need someone who knows because they tried or are currently on a waitlist for one of these particular buildings that are stated to have less than a 6 month wait.

Actually, scratch that; I don't NEED anything. I'm just curious because I saw some info that didn't add up, and I was interested in getting to the bottom of it, which is something you clearly can't help with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City