Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times

Advertisements

Everyone should just live here

StreetEasy: 920 Metropolitan Ave. - Rental Apartment Rental in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 AM

277 posts, read 883,867 times
I recommend that you look in Queens and New Jersey to pay less than $1200 in rent. Many of the landlords will be slumlords and not fix anything. Also, they may rent you an apartment that they do not have permission to rent by the city. After moving here two years ago, I now represent tenants with deceitful landlords.

Also, if you really want to live in Manhattan, there are still studios for $1200 near the 207st 1 stop and A stop. This area is rapidly changing. So, I recommend that you get a two year lease.

Finally, you should earn 40 times the rent, have pay stubs, and a w2 for last year showing these earnings. If not, get a guarantor that meets these standards. There are companies that can be your guarantor if you do not have a family member. However, apartments rented by the owners do not adhere to such strict standards. Just show the owner that you have approximately $20,000 in your bank account.

Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,216 times
Right now I live in Madison WI. I am a 17 year old senior in high school and my best friend and I are hoping to move to NYC for the summer of 2014. We have an apartment already set up through her family connections and she already has a job(I'm still working on that). I'm wondering how plausible it is for an 18 year old to get a internship in non profit work while I'm there? and and chance at all I'd be paid? Any links or help would be so so appreciated thank you everyone!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,076 times
I would say go for it... You only live once and everybody has a different outlook on things, just be sure to do your homework thoroughly.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
I think this is being used as a scare tactic to let the police do as they please. Listen you can't have a democracy and stop and frisk. It just doesn't go together.

I travel to a lot of countries where there is unconditional stop and frisk (mexico) and I am more afraid of the cops than the common criminal. Some of you will say well that's mexico the USA is different. My response is are you a young black male and have you been wrongfully searched before ? Cops treat minorities differently. There are many crooked cops out there.

I think if someone is carrying a gun then it will show in other ways which will be enough to clue the police. People who commit crimes don't follow the rules. Eventually they will slip up..jump a turnstile drink on the street...etc. The cops are good at getting their man when they need to. However you can't let them pull anyone over and tell them to empty their pockets.

Now if drugs were made legal I would have no objection. WHY ? Because most of these searches result in minor drug offenses....due to an illegal search. Get rid of that loophole with only prosecuting for WEAPONS than that IMO would be a true desire to rid dangerous ***weapons from the street.

If I was black I'd hate the F'ing police. I feel for a lot of these guys...not the crooks obviously.

Another theory I have is this city is scared to death of not having its' citizens on a ball and chain like the past two administrations have....We hope for a new mayor that enlightens all of our lives.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:23 PM

15 posts, read 16,655 times
I am a proud Puerto Rican. I have a son who is a policeman in NYC. Has he stopped black males, yes. Has he questioned black males, yes. Has he frisked black males, yes when he felt they had a weapon. When I asked why are the percentages of minorities stopped are so high he said they are the ones committing the crime. Take it for what it's worth.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Has he stopped Puerto Rican males?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I think this is being used as a scare tactic to let the police do as they please. Listen you can't have a democracy and stop and frisk. It just doesn't go together.

I travel to a lot of countries where there is unconditional stop and frisk (mexico) and I am more afraid of the cops than the common criminal. Some of you will say well that's mexico the USA is different. My response is are you a young black male and have you been wrongfully searched before ? Cops treat minorities differently. There are many crooked cops out there.

I think if someone is carrying a gun then it will show in other ways which will be enough to clue the police. People who commit crimes don't follow the rules. Eventually they will slip up..jump a turnstile drink on the street...etc. The cops are good at getting their man when they need to. However you can't let them pull anyone over and tell them to empty their pockets.

Now if drugs were made legal I would have no objection. WHY ? Because most of these searches result in minor drug offenses....due to an illegal search. Get rid of that loophole with only prosecuting for WEAPONS than that IMO would be a true desire to rid dangerous ***weapons from the street.

If I was black I'd hate the F'ing police. I feel for a lot of these guys...not the crooks obviously.

Another theory I have is this city is scared to death of not having its' citizens on a ball and chain like the past two administrations have....We hope for a new mayor that enlightens all of our lives.
I totally agree, if you are saying what I think you are. Stop and frisk only for illegal weapons, not drugs.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:28 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva puerto rico View Post
I am a proud Puerto Rican. I have a son who is a policeman in NYC. Has he stopped black males, yes. Has he questioned black males, yes. Has he frisked black males, yes when he felt they had a weapon. When I asked why are the percentages of minorities stopped are so high he said they are the ones committing the crime. Take it for what it's worth.
Yes. Well a lot of the stops and frisks are actually making minority neighborhoods safer. It's not a stretch to think that some of the protesters of stop and frisk are getting some sort of kickback from the drug trade.

After 911 we gained a police force that is, on the whole, honorable and not corrupted. The police are doing a great job in keeping crime down in the City. I would hate to return to the horrors of yesteryear when gangs and criminals ruled our streets. It's very easy to slip back into that pattern and one of the ways is to handicap police while favoring criminal rights. People who lived through those times are really troubled at the movement against stop and frisk, not wanting to relive that nightmare.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:38 PM

84 posts, read 59,146 times
Is the rent in NYC ever coming back down? With the whole new mayoral elections has any of the candidates addressed this?

Last edited by War-Lord; 09-29-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City