Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 AM

154 posts, read 535,872 times

Advertisements

You can try the Park Slope area in Brooklyn, and Astoria in Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymumich View Post
[/b]We've been told Forest Hills or Kew Gardens would be the best place to look, and we've toured them, like them, and are looking there, but we are wondering if there are other options. Also, are there other places to look other than Craigslist? We're basically seeing the same 10 apartments advertised in capital letters every day, and it's disheartening.
For a search, try The Times for its comprehensive real estate section. Here's a link: NY Times Real Estate

Other areas that I would search in Queens include: Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck, Floral Park, and even Glen Oaks. For the St. John's commute, they are all fine, but for Manhattan, it's either a faster, thogh more expensive, commute on the LIRR to NY subway, an express bus, city bus to the subway, or being dropped off at the subway by the St. John's commuter.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymumich View Post
1) What is your budget?
- min = n/a - max = $2600.00
- total income = $80,000-120,000 year; we can pay some rent up front for good faith.

2) Where is your job located?
- Mine will be Faculty, St. John's University Queens Campus' my fiance's job will be with a nonprofit, likely in Manhattan

3) Living circumstances
- One Greyhound (large, albeit very, very quiet dog)

4) Space requirements
- preferably 2 bedroom

5) Neighborhood amenities
-Near public transportation to Manhattan
-Ideally, also near public transportation to St. John's, but driving would be okay

6) Other interests/ General
- we'd love a dishwasher and/or w/d in unit, but as Center City Philly residents we're certainly realistic about this.

Notes:
We've been told Forest Hills or Kew Gardens would be the best place to look, and we've toured them, like them, and are looking there, but we are wondering if there are other options. Also, are there other places to look other than Craigslist? We're basically seeing the same 10 apartments advertised in capital letters every day, and it's disheartening.

To get a place that accommodates our pet and the amenities we want, we'd certainly consider something farther out in Queens or on Long Island near a train station, though it means a commute to St. John's by car (and getting a car); any suggestions to that end, would be helpful, though I'll cross-post in the LI forum.
Thanks very much for any and all suggestions.
You could also try Jackson Heights and Sunnyside. Both are very convenient to Manhattan via train - JH has the 7, E, F, V and R and is a 12-20 minute ride to midtown. Sunnyside is about 15 minutes via the 7 train.

I don't know the commute to St. John's well enough to recommend, but if you are expanding your options to other close-in neighborhoods in Queens, I thought I would mention those two. I think the drive from JH to St. Johns would be about 20 minutes and the commute by train & bus would be about 45.

About.com has a nice summary of some of the neighborhoods in Queens written for people who are looking for a place to live.
Queens' Neighborhoods: Close to Manhattan

Old 09-08-2009, 01:37 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,844 times
Default what if my credit isnt that great

well what if i can afford the rent because of my salary (in brooklyn) but my credit score isnt all that great. will i have a crazy hard time getting a place? i am looking for a sublet type of place for a few months but wouldn't mind living with room mates. probably wouldnt be able to afford an apt. tho.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
well what if i can afford the rent because of my salary (in brooklyn) but my credit score isnt all that great. will i have a crazy hard time getting a place? i am looking for a sublet type of place for a few months but wouldn't mind living with room mates. probably wouldnt be able to afford an apt. tho.
Roommate situations are not likely to require a credit check. They might ask for a certain amount up front, and see some proof that you're employed.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 AM

227 posts, read 821,638 times
Default Planning move to NYC - no job

I'm 27, single, very good at living frugally, and looking to move into NYC early Nov. I live in DC at the moment in a studio for $1375 so I don't expect sticker shock. I plan to live in NYC for 9 months. Is it difficult to find 9 month leases? I am hoping for a studio in Manhattan for about $1500/mo. I will have no job, but plenty of savings...are guarantors accepted on most leases? My credit is fine. I want to live in an area with a lot of young people preferably, but definitely not dreaming of prime location. I already walk a lot anyways so I don't need to be right next to a subway (would be nice though). From a cursory glance, I was thinking Upper East Side, but very open. Any ideas?

Oh, also I should mention I plan to work as a self-employed tutor so being near colleges and affluent high school families is ideal (via a reasonable subway commute obviously). I just mention this since it might mean I need to be near a subway line which can take me to the boroughs.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Your budget is a bit low for Manhattan. Especially in the areas you're seeking. In affluent areas the students are generally in private school and the school provides any tutoring the students need.

Nine month leases are not common, you'll have to search. Guarantors are accepted.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Your budget is a bit low for Manhattan. Especially in the areas you're seeking. In affluent areas the students are generally in private school and the school provides any tutoring the students need.

Nine month leases are not common, you'll have to search. Guarantors are accepted.
Maybe I shouldn't have said affluent. Middle class families use my tutoring services most. Or does everyone in NYC opt for private school?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Most, if not all, walkups have a locked door at the bottom, and you either have a key or are buzzed in. Elevator buildlings without a doorman aren't any safer than a walkup.
Are walkups indoor or outdoor walkups? I am trying to picture how these are set up.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
A walkup = no elevator. It has nothing to do with inside or outside. You have to climb the (internal) stairs to get to the apartment. NYC apartments don't have external stairs (unless it's the fire escape).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City