Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 09:08 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by figueroa1322 View Post
So I moving to New York in December and I have everything set to go... except a Job! If i dont have a Job I will Not survive no more than a couple months. Im Searching Craigslist inside and out but still no success... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Don't come
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 11,607 times
Curious, where are the nearest upscale suburbia from NYC?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:19 AM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1x3l View Post
Curious, where are the nearest upscale suburbia from NYC?
Westchester County, parts of Suffolk County Long Island (Hamptons, Fire Island etc...), And Hudson and Bergen Counties in Jersey, specifically Englewood. Parts of the northshore of Nassau county (Scott Fitzgerald used to live there and based "the Great Gatsby" on it), can't remember the town name specifically though.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Westchester County, parts of Suffolk County Long Island (Hamptons, Fire Island etc...), And Hudson and Bergen Counties in Jersey, specifically Englewood. Parts of the northshore of Nassau county (Scott Fitzgerald used to live there and based "the Great Gatsby" on it), can't remember the town name specifically though.
Englewood? Are you joking? Try Alpine, NJ.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 PM

24 posts, read 76,299 times
Hey guys, obligatory "moving to NY post"! I'm halfway done with my senior year and am planning on moving to NY after I graduate. My godmother lives in Long Island so I have a place to stay until I get settled with a job and everything (I'm interesting in casting). I'm trying to figure out where I should be looking for an apartment. The highest I can really go budget wise is $1400. I'm not really into nightlife and bars so while I don't mind having them around, it isn't a necessity to be in an area where there's a huge amount of nightlife. Basically all I'm looking for is a one bedroom apartment or studio in a neighborhood where I don't have to worried about coming home at 10:00. And ideally close enough to Manhattan where I can get to Penn Station in an hour or less.

So to sum up, one bedroom, $1400, safe (comparatively speaking), and within an hour of Penn Station. Does anyone have any suggestions of good neighborhoods for me to be looking at? Thanks!!

Old 11-20-2009, 03:00 AM

154 posts, read 535,790 times
Williamsburg, Park Slope, Cobble Hill (Brooklyn), Astoria, Forest Hills (Queens), Jersey (Hoboken, Weehawken, North Bergen etc),

Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Englewood? Are you joking? Try Alpine, NJ.
LOL, I like that, and yes I meant Englewood. They asked for upscale areas and Englewood has a few actors, singers, songwriters, writers and other people in the music and film industry that live there. Eddie Murphy's home he's been trying to sell is in Englewood. East Hill specifically

Last edited by twist07; 11-20-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,088 times
HI I moving to NYC with my husband and our 5 year old daughter. I am British .... we want somewhere safe but not too far out, good schools/parks etc... but as cheap as poss!!
Any ideas???
Thanks!!

Old 11-20-2009, 04:01 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachococo View Post
HI I moving to NYC with my husband and our 5 year old daughter. I am British .... we want somewhere safe but not too far out, good schools/parks etc... but as cheap as poss!!
Any ideas???
Thanks!!
Where is work located? "Cheap" and NYC do not go together!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 10,088 times
Gonna apply as soon as green card goes through. May live with husbands family in ct while we apply, or have friends in Williamsburg. But priority is a decent school for my five year old and public transport....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City