Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,751 times

Advertisements

Question for you all: I'm moving back to New York at the end of August to begin a doctoral program in Manhattan. This time around, I have been given a stipend, and will be covering the difference in expenses in student loans. I keep seeing posts about needing to prove 40x the rent in income to rent an apartment. I didn't have to do that in 2003 when I moved to Manhattan, and I'm worried that things have changed and I may have a problem finding an apartment. Did I just get lucky back then? Is anyone a student who has been through this? Will landlords rent to me knowing I'm living off of student loans? I'd appreciate any advice you can give
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM

93 posts, read 365,197 times
I have a few quick questions for people who have gone through the task of apartment hunting in the city before. I've grown up on LI and been in CT since 03 when I came up here for college. So I know the area, and have done apartment hunting before in CT, but never in the city. I'm currently in Stamford, CT.

I'm looking to move into the city this summer. Dates are still to be finalized but probably sometime in June or July (def by Aug 1).

1) How early do I really need to start looking?
2) Can anyone recommend the best methods to finding apartments w/o realtors? The fee's I've heard they can charge are crazy. I'm used to CT where the landlord pays all fees.
3) (After reading details below) Are there any specific neighborhoods I should look at?

Like I said, I plan to start w/o a broker. I'm 24, the GF is 21. I work in finance and she will be going to grad school at Columbia. I'll be looking for a 1br (not studio bc I'll be living with the GF most likely) semi-close to GCT since I work in Greenwich, CT. I'd say upper 40's is as high as I want to go (maybe bottom of the 50s, maybe). Would be willing to go as low down as the village area, but prob should stay closer to GCT to cut on commuting time. I prefer not being right near midtown and time square usually, bc I don't want to be overwhelmed by tourists, so Murray Hill was the first area I thought of that I've spent some time in and enjoyed. I'm open to any areas in the above range however. I'd say $2-2.5k/mo is the range I'm aiming for. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:41 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,131,339 times
Oh come on...........

Geez-us-christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkelly View Post
Dear Augusti15 I was born and raised in NYC. The New York City of today is quite a dicotomy to what was back in 1970-1980. I was born and raised in the South Bronx, and then moved to the gated community of Parkchester in the Northern Bronx.

I worked in NYC for almost 30 years before moving to PA. I must say I miss NY very much. NYC becomes home to many people, even the natives that "grow up" and move away, NYC is always in their heart and soul, just like it is in mind. NYC is in your blood ad once it is there, it is very hard to shake it.

NYC is not the place where a cop was killed every two weeks, where at the end of the l980's, the murder rate was over 2,000. Prostitution reigned on Times Square and the surrounding areas of 42nd St. They have a saying that "if you stand on the corner of Times Square long enough, you will meet everyone you every met". I don't know how true that is or is it just legend, because it never happened to me.

Mayor Guiliani cleaned up NYC and is credited for making it the respectable and most visiable and most visited city, in regard to tourisn, in the union, but you can never let your guard down. It's the same all over. The small towns and villages, and hamlets, and other pockets of small communities are just as likely to have crime more today than they ever have.

I learned one thing: We used to own a house in Bethlehem Township, PA. A very quiet, safe (or so I thought) area, but it did not take me long to find out that there was a drug den up the street about 2 blocks up. I used to leave my dogs outside and leave the patio, deck, windows and garage and front door opened all day long. I was very fortunate.

As in the anals of crime in Ohio, I think it was there was a woman who lived in a similar environment that I came from, she left her patio doors opened. A perp got in and she was murdered. The children she was taking care of were left alone for most of the day, before they found her. Thank God the children weren't harmed. This was in a very, quiet suburban area in Ohio, I believe, so it can happen anyway.

Things to keep in mind: Travel in pairs, don't be by yourself in either the Bronx, or the city (Manhattan). If at work and leaving late, take a cab home, not the subway. Get mace and keep it on you all the time. If you are driving and come to an intersection that is desolate and quiet and there is a red light there, it is OK to go through, because the police have stated that if you feel you may be in danger, as long as no cars are moving through adjacent intersections, you may go through the light. Don't sit in your car, doing your checkbook, or making calls on cell phone. As soon as you exit a store, get in your car and be on your way. Always check the backseat before you get in the car. If you feel you are being followed in your car, drive to the nearest police or gas station. Always stay in well-lit areas. Don't run or jog by yourself, even if you feel there will be alot of people there. Places can become quiet and desolate very fast, always go with a friend. Never go into a stairwell to ascend to a higher floor in a building, as you are much safer in the elevator. If coming home late at night, and you are in a cab, ask the cab driver to wait until you get up to your apt or into your home. I have done this many times. If you are by yourself by chance, let's say getting off a bus stop at night, walk right down the middle of the street. It is safer walking in the way.

I don't won't to frighten you. I just want to give you a head's up, because NYC, is no different from any other major city in the U.S. In regards to the above tips, you would use them in kansas, as well as NYC.

Best of luck to you and your family.

I think you will have much joy and excitement in your move here. Your children should love it. I send hugs and all the best, peace, love and prosperity to you all the days of your life. Have a wonderful life.

kim allentown pa.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM

11 posts, read 39,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelocity11 View Post
Question for you all: I'm moving back to New York at the end of August to begin a doctoral program in Manhattan. This time around, I have been given a stipend, and will be covering the difference in expenses in student loans. I keep seeing posts about needing to prove 40x the rent in income to rent an apartment. I didn't have to do that in 2003 when I moved to Manhattan, and I'm worried that things have changed and I may have a problem finding an apartment. Did I just get lucky back then? Is anyone a student who has been through this? Will landlords rent to me knowing I'm living off of student loans? I'd appreciate any advice you can give

40 to 50 times the rent is normal in rental buildings. Some can make exceptions if you give extra security or rent up front.
Condominium rentals have no formula and it's up to the owner to feel comfortable with you

Old 04-22-2010, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,191 times
Hi all,
im new to this forum, and been reading through all of your responses here - very helpful, however..

Im from London, moving to NYC at the end of the year, a little different from many on here, i have a job ready for me, an apartment, bills covered, and even a 1 or 2 friends at the ready... im going to be relocating there for 3 years minimum on my visa. Forgive me if this has been covered but im after some really practical advice..

1. How do i get a mobile/cell phone set up, im presuming you can just walk into a shop (like here you would go into vodafone / o2 / orange - service providers with shops) where i can set up an acc.. Any advice on who to go with?

2. I will also need to set up a USA bank account as soon as i arrive, again whats the favourite for people living in the city?

3. A gym?

4. bit broader but - Ill be living in manhattan, north of little italy. Whats the low down on that area? and any suggestions on what to do first??

thank you!!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM

25 posts, read 89,180 times
If you use a broker, then yes this may be the case. I'd suggest using the craigslist housing by owner section, you deal with the landlords directly and they usually aren't as strict (and they care more about their properties.)

Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,632 times
One nice area would be real estate commissions. Now that brokers are starting to refund a portion of their fees to renters in so called "No Fee" rentals, the situation is more confusing than ever. Some brokers are refunding 50%, others only something small, like 10%. Any ideas on how we can get consensus numbers for new arrivals?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 PM

18 posts, read 75,677 times
My boyfriend and I are moving out in mid-August. When would be the best time to fly out and look at apartments to rent? We were thinking either the 2nd or 3rd week of July, but we aren't exactly sure.
Also, are the part-time job listings on craigslist generally valid/not scams? I know the job market is pretty rough right now, but are there ANY jobs that seem to be hiring?
Thank you!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,820 times
I like newyork city

Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 AM

22 posts, read 46,357 times
Hey, y'all,

I'm currently living in Detroit and in all likelihood will be taking a job in NYC soon(financial district of Manhattan) that initially said $85k as a potential salary -- so I'm planning based on that much money.

I'll be moving with my girlfriend who's finishing undergrad and will be taking a part time job if she can find one -- what's that scene like, for unskilled labor? She's a decent baker, and has experience working in food service, but she doesn't have her degree yet(she's working on dietetics & pre-med).

So it's going to be up to me to mostly support us.

What neighborhoods should I be looking in? My friend lives in Bushwick, Brooklyn and keeps pushing me towards that, but then I see other people saying it's a ****hole... but he says it differs block by block and he's never had any problems.

About how much in rent could I afford on my salary and based on that, which areas would you recommend I look? I've been using PadMapper - Apartment Map Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, and Craigslist Apartments for Rent to poke around so far, but I have no idea whether different areas are good or not, and if it really differs block to block then I have no position to make any judgment until I actually look at them in person.

Thanks

Last edited by daytwa; 05-12-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City