Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM

32 posts, read 54,796 times

Advertisements

Hey, looking to move into manhattan in the summer of 2011 after me and my gf graduate. She will be going to med school and I will be working. We want to get a studio or 1br apartment in a decent area (i know we wont be able to afford too nice an area, but just an area where we wont get mugged) and stuff for not too expensive. Maybe a budget of around 1500 a month. Any suggestions?

By the way im from Long Island, if that means anything. We really wanna live in manhattan, but idk about the other boroughs...i know queens is cheap and brooklyn is ok...suggestions for those areas are welcome too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 02:35 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Anyone who tells you what the market will be like in 2011 is a fool or a liar. I can tell you that you will pay more if you get an apartment during the summer than if you can wait until after classes have started.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,358 times
Lightbulb (designer)Single mom of 1 w 2 cats & 2 dogs!

Hello everyone!

I looked into some of your links posted here, (thank u soooo much!) but as you can tell I do not have much time mainly as I am moving no later than September 27th this year...

I am a Jewel Designer, I have my own studio at home. I am a single mom of an 8 yrs boy and have 2 cats and 2 small dogs. I saw many good apartments in Bushwick-Brooklyn but am not sure as to the reality of the neighborhood, some sites say it's great full of art, safe and beautiful, some say it sucks, ugly unsafe and lacking resources (ie: supermarkets,good schools, drugstores etc..) What is the truth? Anyone?

My budget is between $1,000 to $1,600. I need a two bedroom, and I need lots of natural light (and hardwood floors - allergic to carpet) . Because of the "kids" I need a park nearby. I have a car so parking is crucial. I want to be as close to Manhattan as possible, because I will be doing lots of work there. Being safe is another big concern, since my "Edward" is still hiding in the woods somewhere..., and coming home late at night alone from an expo with tons of jewelry cannot be a dangerous thing to do... I also need good public elementary schools around...

Please feel free to email me with all your suggestions, I really, Really, REALLY appreciate it! hannahpontvianne@live.com

Thank you so much!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 14,398 times
Default Try Livng on the Grand Concourse - Executive Towers

Try 1020 Grand Concourse in the Bronx, 165. Great coop building. For around $1500 - $1800 you could buy your own home. Check out the following craigslist ad.

1020 Grand Concourse - 2 Bath (http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/reo/1892487648.html - broken link)

Old 08-12-2010, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,870 times
All i know about NYC has already be posted here so what else i am gonna tell you.I have visited once the New York city in my whole life and it was almost a year ago.Any ways you doing great work keep doing it.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 AM

12 posts, read 107,440 times
Be wary of zip codes 11207, 11208, 11212, 11433, 11225, 11226: Neighborhoods - Lindenwood, Jamaica, Bushwick, East New York, Cypress Hills, Red Hook, East Flatbush, and the Bronx----period.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:10 AM

12 posts, read 107,440 times
Go to Ebay classifieds for apartments in Astoria, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Howard Beach, Park Slope, Clinton Hill, Bergen Beach, Marine Park, Midwood, Seaview, Flushing, Bayside, Ozone Park, Rosedale suburbs, Old Mill Basin. Google these places and "drive through" different neighborhood with Google Maps.

Rent varies from $1,000 for a 1 bedroom/studio to 1,700 for 3-bedrooms.

Good luck,

Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,750 times
hi - i'm moving from england to ny and wondering about mobile phones there (or cell phone as u say)... can you get things like "SIM card only"? that way, i can use my existing phone here and just buy a SIM card... looking for the cheapest option. Any opinions which network works best in Manhattan or are they all the same?
Also any ideas on good websites for furnished apartments? i've been told about ny habitat...

Old 08-19-2010, 08:54 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proac View Post
hi - i'm moving from england to ny and wondering about mobile phones there (or cell phone as u say)... can you get things like "SIM card only"? that way, i can use my existing phone here and just buy a SIM card... looking for the cheapest option. Any opinions which network works best in Manhattan or are they all the same?
Also any ideas on good websites for furnished apartments? i've been told about ny habitat...
Yes, you can buy SIM cards for your phone here. You can buy them from an electronics store like Best Buy, or you can purchase them from other vendors, some online, or on eBay, too.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-20-2010, 09:51 AM

57 posts, read 213,398 times
How hard is it to immigrate to the US? This will be 6-7 years in the future (I am currently 16), so unemployment rates will go down and TARP for financial firms will no longer apply. I will have studied for 8 years in the US (high + college), if that helps at all. I'm also Australian, and we have a special E-3 visa for which there is a separate quota, as well as being indefinitely renewable. In addition, I have a family member (cousin) who is American. I know nobody can speculate 6-7 years accurately, but any info would be welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City