Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,333 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody from Turkey, ı have just discovered this site and ı just wanted to say hello to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,679 times
Hey Keeper, I know this is an old post but couldn't help myself in responding. I've been working in the NY real estate scene for the last 10+ years and have had the same situation with each new client asking the same as the last. To help newcomers I created a blog (New York Relocation Guy » Relocating to New York), and posted the answers to a whole bunch of FAQs. Hope you find it helpful.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,679 times
Hey Keeper, I know this is an old post but couldn't help myself in responding. I've been working in the NY real estate scene for the last 10+ years and have had the same situation with each new client asking the same as the last. To help newcomers I created a blog (www.newyorkrelocationguy.com), and posted the answers to a whole bunch of FAQs. Hope you find it helpful.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,251 times
Mover New York serves the New York area. Whether it's a long distance, International or local moving contact our moving company in New York for all your local moving needs

------
Moving Company NYC
www(dot)mover-newyork(dot)com

Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
Hi I am wanting to move to new york by may of 2012 and i need as much info as possible I am a single female college student, that will be looking for work and to transfer to school there I knoweveryone says its expensive but im sure i can find a way to manage. I am looking to take a step out of my "saftey box" and expand my horizons in so many ways. hoping to find something affordable in new york for a studio or one bedroom...or if new york is to expensive for me right away i would love to get information regarding new jersey as close as to new york as possible!!! if anyone has any info for me you can email me at [email]ayesha.ali32@gmail.com[/email]

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM

14 posts, read 25,921 times
Hi everyone! I skimmed through most of the thread, and even though it was quite helpful so far a lot of the questions started to blur together, so apologies if I'm being redundant. edit: and apologies for the novel! yikes!

I spent a semester in the city a couple years ago, and even though my room was comically small (about as wide as I am tall) and I kept running out of money, I fell in love and knew I needed to go back. Now that I have finally graduated, that's an semi-possibility and I am becoming more serious about it. Ideally, I'd like to get there by early September (I should have at least $6000 saved up by then).

One thing I've found frustrating though, is the fact that everyone says you need to have a job lined up beforehand - but at the same time I've read a lot about how, if they see an out-of-state address on your resume, they just throw it out. One possibility is maybe subletting for a couple months while looking and just bringing the bare essentials, but I'd prefer to start out with something more long-term so that I don't have to worry about getting all of my stuff from here (Ohio) to there later.

As far as where to live, though:
-I know that in the field I want to work in money will probably be tight, so I know that either way I'll need to have a roommate. That's fine.

-Since I'm a 5'1" female safety is a HUGE must. Probably number one along with low price on the list of non-negotiables

-I also plan on ditching the car if I come so proximity to transportation is necessary too. Not too bothered if the commute is longer though - more reading/sketching time!

-It would be nice to be around young creative types, but I also understand that I might have to forgo that for something a bit more boring at first

I guess the bottom line is though, should I wait until I have a job lined up to start looking at rooms? Or should I just wing it and hope for the best, knowing fully well the possibility of flunking out and having to move back home? It's a scary thought, but seeing how there are easily 100x more opportunities there than there are here, I might have to take the plunge.....am I a total loon?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 AM

7 posts, read 10,822 times
Hey Zarah,

I think you're on the right track because you're asking the right questions. Being willing to lose the car, be open to different neighborhoods, and live with roommates is an important mental shift, and it's essential to moving to the city.

I would recommend Morningside Heights, Williamsburg, or Astoria to you. These are the places young people go, and you will meet a lot of people in similar situations there. They are also still affordable neighborhoods with a lot going on that are safe.

I don't know what field you're in, but I think it is very common to move to New York without a job and then find one. One of my roommates moved to New York in September from Pennsylvania. It took her until January to find a job, and things got tight for awhile, but she has one now and she has had a great time taking advantage of all the things the city has to offer. I would say not having a job isn't a problem, and in some ways is better because you can be more open about where you move. But be prepared to not find a job for 4-6 months. It takes time.

I'm a student, and my living budget is about $850-$1000 per month, so I think you will do fine with what you have saved. Roommates are essential. You should look to pay no more than $750 a month in rent. One good thing about New York, however, is that there are a lot of ways to make a little money while you're looking for a serious job. Endless cafes, restaurants, and stores to work in. Plus, if you're a creative type you can play music or sell art on the street. I play guitar in the park, and it's a nice way to cushion my income.

Also, DON'T look on craigslist--that place is full of robots and lies! Streeteasy.com is my favorite real estate site. If you know anyone in New York already, reach out to them about whether they know anyone looking for a roommate--it's less scary than trying to find them on your own.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM

14 posts, read 25,921 times
Thanks for letting me know about Streeteasy - I'll totally check it out! Sadly I don't really have any connections roommate-wise but who knows. From what I've seen about the neighborhoods you mentioned, I think those would be lovely places to live. I just wonder though about finding somewhere to live where the person is ok with me not having a job yet.

Fortunately (?) I'm looking for something in the visual art field...either something with illustration/design or perhaps something involving a gallery or art organization. There is very, very little of those kinds of jobs here :\

Old 07-01-2011, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
Long time lurker, first time poster.
There's a lot of great info here! Lots of thanks for all the great tips!

We just arrived a few days ago, and went into the city for the first time yesterday by car - WOW! (we're staying with a friend in North Jersey). After that experience the car is getting sold hahaha (^_^);;;

I have 5 interviews lined up for next week, two of which sound very promising. However I do not have a job lined up yet. Everyone told me "call us when you get here" because we were coming from Seattle.

We went looking for apartments yesterday and everyone pretty much said (nicely or not so nicely) that we can't get an apartment until I have a job. My boyfriend has the GI bill (guaranteed monthly income from the government to veterans going to school). We have amazing credit, references from the last 3 years worth of landlords on the West coast... but no one will give us the time of day!

I hate bumming at my friends house for so long as she only has a studio, so any good tips on ways to get apartments other than brokers?

I started looking at sublets last night but there aren't many situations that allow a couple and a small (15lbs) dog.

Just feeling pretty discouraged.....Will keep trying though! Any advice you might have is welcome! (^_^)

Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,739 times
Hello everyone,

I am retiring at the end of 2011 and I have about $250,000 savings. I would like to purchase a property in NYC. I will be living in NY for 4-7 months of the year and living overseas for the rest of the time. Here is the criteria that is most important to me:

1. Safety (I am a single woman)
2. Closeness to Manhattan (shopping/dinning/entertainment areas rather than business districts)
3. Reasonable condo fees
4. Easy/Close access to public transportation (I will not have a car)

Schools are not important to me as my children are grown.

Taking these into consideration, which neighborhoods should I concentrate on? I am not familiar with NY and friends around me have been ridiculing me saying I can't live anywhere but in gangland for $250k. Are they right?

Thanks for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City