Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 09:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times

Advertisements

Finding a two bedroom for a max of $1400 is going to severely limit your options. Also, can your parents act as gurantors because many lanlords require that your yearly income be 40x the montly rent?

The closest you are going to get to Manhattan in your budget might possibly be found in (and this is if you're lucky)
Brooklyn: Sunset Park, Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, Lefferts Gardens, Ditmas Park Kensington
Queens: Sunnyside, Woodside, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst

Though really $1400 is what a one bedroom costs in most of these places.

And I suspect that you will find reasons not to like most of these neighborhoods because all of them will require a compromise in some way if your gold standard is prime Williamsburg and Park Slope. Some are "too far" (as you mentioned about Kensington, some are "not safe" and some are "not hip".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:41 AM

12 posts, read 122,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Finding a two bedroom for a max of $1400 is going to severely limit your options. Also, can your parents act as gurantors because many lanlords require that your yearly income be 40x the montly rent?

The closest you are going to get to Manhattan in your budget might possibly be found in (and this is if you're lucky)
Brooklyn: Sunset Park, Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, Lefferts Gardens, Ditmas Park Kensington
Queens: Sunnyside, Woodside, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst

Though really $1400 is what a one bedroom costs in most of these places.

And I suspect that you will find reasons not to like most of these neighborhoods because all of them will require a compromise in some way if your gold standard is prime Williamsburg and Park Slope. Some are "too far" (as you mentioned about Kensington, some are "not safe" and some are "not hip".

Well, thank you for the tips, and the slight underhandedness of your response as well. The reason why I mentioned those two places as being the areas I want to move to, are because they are the areas I know best, because of friends who live there, or shows I have been to in the past. I am, as I thought would have been obvious, quite open to living in other places, I just don't want it to be too far away from the places I will want to be going. Which is why I came to this forum, so I could have people help me out, give me ideas, etc etc. Let me know which places are relatively cheap, safe, and not too far away from what I know and like.

And I have been looking at many many apartment rental websites, just to get a feel I suppose, and I have found a decent amount of apartments for around 1200 honestly, they're nice on the inside, and in seemingly good areas, but I guess I would have to run the addresses/areas by someone on this board to get a more accurate depiction of the neighborhood.

I'm sorry for the long post. I am really just here for help. If I can get that, without being ridiculed/mocked for wanting to move out of a rural town where no one is like me, to a place where I believe I won't feel so out of place, then that is great.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:30 AM

36 posts, read 150,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima robeast View Post
And I have been looking at many many apartment rental websites, just to get a feel I suppose, and I have found a decent amount of apartments for around 1200 honestly, they're nice on the inside, and in seemingly good areas, but I guess I would have to run the addresses/areas by someone on this board to get a more accurate depiction of the neighborhood.
Where have you looked, craigslist? There are tons of fraud on craigslist for New York apartments. When I was looking for my current apartment there, I would call and they would tell me that the apartment I am looking for has been taken already and for a 99 dollar fee they would give me a listing of available apartments.

To have a feeling of prices you have to go to the website of some established broker like corcoran and check there. Also, it varies a lot. The apartment may be a 5th floor walkup, it may be facing a hectic street level or a garbage dump, it may not get any sunlight, etc. There is no way of knowing what you are getting until you visit the place. And even then, many problems may only come out after you are living there for three months.

Most of the time these borkers do something like this: they say the apartment is on 9th street in Park Slope, but they don't give the whole address. Only later when you visit the apartment do you find out that it is in 9th street by Gowanus. Then they start pitching to you how great the apartment, neighborhood, is. Total waste of time!

or a great one pulled by the brokers is they say the apartment is close to the subway, only when you visit the apartment do you find out it is a 15 minute walk to the G train that doesn't even get into Manhattan.

So good luck in apartment hunting. I really suggest you looking at these outer neighborhoods, they are just as good as Park Slope, etc, but you get less crowded streets, great people, etc.

Last edited by dcuper1; 03-09-2008 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Well, thank you for the tips, and the slight underhandedness of your response as well. The reason why I mentioned those two places as being the areas I want to move to, are because they are the areas I know best, because of friends who live there, or shows I have been to in the past. I am, as I thought would have been obvious, quite open to living in other places, I just don't want it to be too far away from the places I will want to be going. Which is why I came to this forum, so I could have people help me out, give me ideas, etc etc. Let me know which places are relatively cheap, safe, and not too far away from what I know and like.

I'm sorry for the long post. I am really just here for help. If I can get that, without being ridiculed/mocked for wanting to move out of a rural town where no one is like me, to a place where I believe I won't feel so out of place, then that is great.
I wasn't trying to ridicule you - sorry if it came off like that. I was, however, trying to give you a reality check. I know how it is to want to be in a certain kind of neighborhood, but then to realize certain compromises are in order. It may be just a matter of shifting your expectations.

If it's going to be awhile before you move, now that the weather is going to be nicer, how about planning day trips to a couple of the areas that I mentioned (and maybe other people have some suggestions). This will give you a sense of how far they are from midtown Manhattan (assuming that is where you will come in from NJ), what the subway ride is like to get out there, and how the neighborhoods feel in general.

You will have to do a bit of research before embarking on these trips, but maybe you could look at chowhound.com and find a local place to eat and structure your trip around that. Also, a few of the neighborhoods I mentioned - Bed Stuy and Crown Heights don't have the best safety records, but parts of them are totally fine, so you should do your research on that before visiting as well.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuper1 View Post
Where have you looked, craigslist? There are tons of fraud on craigslist for New York apartments. When I was looking for my current apartment there, I would call and they would tell me that the apartment I am looking for has been taken already and for a 99 dollar fee they would give me a listing of available apartments.

To have a feeling of prices you have to go to the website of some established broker like corcoran and check there. Also, it varies a lot. The apartment may be a 5th floor walkup, it may be facing a hectic street level or a garbage dump, it may not get any sunlight, etc. There is no way of knowing what you are getting until you visit the place. And even then, many problems may only come out after you are living there for three months.

Most of the time these borkers do something like this: they say the apartment is on 9th street in Park Slope, but they don't give the whole address. Only later when you visit the apartment do you find out that it is in 9th street by Gowanus. Then they start pitching to you how great the apartment, neighborhood, is. Total waste of time!

or a great one pulled by the brokers is they say the apartment is close to the subway, only when you visit the apartment do you find out it is a 15 minute walk to the G train that doesn't even get into Manhattan.

So good luck in apartment hunting. I really suggest you looking at these outer neighborhoods, they are just as good as Park Slope, etc, but you get less crowded streets, great people, etc.

Nah, the only thing I used craigslist for was to get an idea about the relative abundance of jobs available. I wouldnt trust that with real estate of any sort. I've been looking at corcoran actually, but the website that i've found a handful of very nice looking apartments is actually citi-habitats.com

I wanted to post a few links to the apartments, i'm obviously not looking to rent those ones out specifically, because the move is a little ways away, but to get feedback on apartments i myself thought were decent and in supposedly decent areas, would help me know what to look for when it actually came time to go alot more in depth. Here is one that i love haha.

It's crown heights, but/and it looks real decent.
Citi-Habitats New York City Apartments - NYC Apartments - Manhattan Lofts, Real Estate Rental (http://www.citi-habitats.com/viewlisting.php?adID=102193 - broken link)

Old 03-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I wasn't trying to ridicule you - sorry if it came off like that. I was, however, trying to give you a reality check. I know how it is to want to be in a certain kind of neighborhood, but then to realize certain compromises are in order. It may be just a matter of shifting your expectations.

If it's going to be awhile before you move, now that the weather is going to be nicer, how about planning day trips to a couple of the areas that I mentioned (and maybe other people have some suggestions). This will give you a sense of how far they are from midtown Manhattan (assuming that is where you will come in from NJ), what the subway ride is like to get out there, and how the neighborhoods feel in general.

You will have to do a bit of research before embarking on these trips, but maybe you could look at chowhound.com and find a local place to eat and structure your trip around that. Also, a few of the neighborhoods I mentioned - Bed Stuy and Crown Heights don't have the best safety records, but parts of them are totally fine, so you should do your research on that before visiting as well.

Ah okay, well thank you for clearing that up, and thank you for the help. I wouldnt mind being in a not so perfect, not super white neighborhood really, because I did grow up in the cliffside park/north bergen/jersey city area, because all of my relatives are from there, so my childhood was spent walking around these streets. In the past few months I have been driving into the city whenever there was an event, but I used to always take the light rail from north bergen[my aunt lives across the street from one,] to hoboken, and then from hoboken into the city, and then make the switches at wherever i had to go to either get to park slope or williamsburg. So i guess I do know how long an approximate train ride will be, at least hah. And the main reason I am looking for a safe neighborhood, is because the girl I am moving with, knows close to nothing of the city. just that she wants to be thrown into it.

But thank you for the chowhound tip, and yes day trips come warm season is something we will be doing alot of.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
It's crown heights, but/and it looks real decent.
Citi-Habitats New York City Apartments - NYC Apartments - Manhattan Lofts, Real Estate Rental (http://www.citi-habitats.com/viewlisting.php?adID=102193 - broken link)
Do they give an address? If yes, I couldn't find it. There really isn't much you can figure out without an actual address. Crown heights is very big and there are completely different areas inside crown heights. I say this from experience since I lived in crown heights for 5 years. If you can post an actual addresses of places you are looking at, then maybe myself or someone else in the forum might be able to give you some ideas of how the neighborhood is.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 PM

I'll try, the website doesn't give exact addresses, but maybe I could find it out somewhere/somehow.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 PM

My experience in Crown Heights was horrible. I lived in Troy Ave and East New York Ave. There was a drive by shooting four blocks from my house where a guy was killed while trying to park his car. It was in this area just a year ago when two cops were killed when they stopped someone in a stolen car. There was a lot of trash on the street and cars would frequently pass by my house with their music so loud my whole house would shake and car alarms on the street would go off. My building was fairly quite, but a friend had police activity in his building all the time, with people getting arrested, fights, etc.

I don't want to scare you, but make sure you know where you are going before you sign any dotted line.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 PM

Haha, thank you for that, and it doesn't scare me, it just tells me where not to go. I'm really not very worried, its just my parents are afraid i'm going to be kidnapped/raped/killed. You know, the usual. And to think they grew up in the city, too. I guess that's what moving to the country does to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City