Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 PM

195 posts, read 304,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
How long does it take to gain residency in NY in order to take advantage of the in-state discounts for CUNY? Is it one year like most places or are there ways I can get it faster?
i think it's a year...i have an acquaintance currently in the CUNY schools, i'll ask him to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 PM

9 posts, read 19,558 times
Hey, I'm going to St. John's in Jamaica and I wanted to live on the UES so I can take the F express then the Q bus to and from campus. I feel like this would be ideal since I wouldn't have to bring a car but I'm a little concerned about safety.

I shared my concerns with others and they suggested living in Queens. Although I've heard good things about Astoria (that it's safe, fun, etc.) I am not inclined to live in Queens in general because of what I've heard of the R train (that it's unreliable, comes infrequently, etc.). I don't want to rely on the R to get me to class nor do I want to bring a car just to work around this potential problem. I'm also not inclined to live in other places in Queens, like Forest Hills for example, because it was kind of boring to me.

I feel like living on the UES is a good change and compromise between transportation/proximity to class, fun etc. but safety is really important to me as well. Would it be safe for me to use the Q bus/F train at night from Jamaica to Manhattan and vice versa? Is there anything I should worry about or does my plan make sense?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:17 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azul09 View Post
Hey, I'm going to St. John's in Jamaica and I wanted to live on the UES so I can take the F express then the Q bus to and from campus. I feel like this would be ideal since I wouldn't have to bring a car but I'm a little concerned about safety.

I shared my concerns with others and they suggested living in Queens. Although I've heard good things about Astoria (that it's safe, fun, etc.) I am not inclined to live in Queens in general because of what I've heard of the R train (that it's unreliable, comes infrequently, etc.). I don't want to rely on the R to get me to class nor do I want to bring a car just to work around this potential problem. I'm also not inclined to live in other places in Queens, like Forest Hills for example, because it was kind of boring to me.

I feel like living on the UES is a good change and compromise between transportation/proximity to class, fun etc. but safety is really important to me as well. Would it be safe for me to use the Q bus/F train at night from Jamaica to Manhattan and vice versa? Is there anything I should worry about or does my plan make sense?
If you are going to St. Johns and Living on the UES. You can just take the QM1 express bus which runs along 57th Street in Manahattan and makes no stops in queens until Main Street. You wont have to rely on the train.

Remember Forest Hills and Astoria aren't the only Queens neighborhoods and the R train isnt the only train on Queens Boulevard. (E,F,M,R)

BTW St. Johns is more in Fresh Meadows than Jamaica, its much safer in Fresh Meadows. They have an apartment complex right there that is really nice, you should check it out. You can get a bi-level townhome apartment with a backyard for what you'd pay for rent on the UES.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLemonade7 View Post
Of course you could! You could even find a decent place in Manhattan. I make way less than 65k and I know many others who do too and they find great places in Manhattan. You might have to look a bit, but it's worth it. Good luck!
Where?? I guess it all depends on what you mean by "decent". I just got back to So FL from Manhattan a couple hours ago. I spent quite a bit of time looking at ads and traveling around the city looking at places and rents. I'm looking either for a studio or a 1 br apartment in a ok part of the city, and most of those rents were up there!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drankthetea View Post
Is it possible to rent in NYC with five cats or is that pretty much an impossibility? We don't need a lot of room (seriously, four of the five lay there in a heap together in the 600 sq ft I have now), at least. What are the pet deposits like there? Where I live now in TX, they run between $100 - $350 per cat.
Not impossible. Do not mention that you have five. Explain that you have two - as is common.
Then, refrain from living like a cat lady/guy.
Many people have five or even more cats here. I was just working with an elderly woman who had six.
The key - again - being normal; not a crazy cat person.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
How long does it take to gain residency in NY in order to take advantage of the in-state discounts for CUNY? Is it one year like most places or are there ways I can get it faster?
It is one year. I know from personal experience. You can't get it faster unless you lie (which I recommend against).

You will need to give them a copy of your lease or some similar proof. Perhaps a DL issued more than 12 months ago from state of NY would suffice.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM

34 posts, read 64,219 times
Default thinking of moving to new york

I was just offered a job for a consulting firm in Manhattan.
Im really excited about the thought of living in new York but
I'm worried about the cost of living. My monthly income after tax
will be $3100 and Ive managed to save $8566 since starting my current job
six months ago. I've also been renting a studio in Minneapolis (where I'm from)
Would all this give me an advantage with apartment
hunting. This would be a very sudden move for me but I don't want to
pass this up.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 AM

77 posts, read 64,677 times
So, according to this: NYC Rent Guidelines Board

... you are allowed to have one roommate who does not need be on the lease? So, that's pretty cool, I guess.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM
L&J

6 posts, read 13,118 times
Hello everyone.

Since I live in Europe, I know nothing about NY. So, could you inform me about criminality levels in NY?

Which places and districts are dangerous?
Or any other crime info you would like to share..

Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,901 times
I love NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City