Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 02:09 PM

57 posts, read 66,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Giuliani's running for office, what else are we talking about?

(After all one cannot support someone who is NOT running, right?)
Wrong. The OP asked if we support Giuliani and I support him in all his endeavors.

Here is a definition of "support"? from yourdictionary.com

Support

transitive verb
    1. to carry or bear the weight of; keep from falling, slipping or sinking; hold up
    2. to carry or bear (a specified weight, strain, pressure, etc.)
  1. to give courage, faith, or confidence to; help or comfort
  2. to give approval to or be in favor of; subscribe to; uphold
  3. to maintain or provide for (a person, institution, etc.) with money, or subsistence
  4. to show or tend to show to be true; help prove, vindicate, or corroborate: evidence to support a claim
  5. to bear; endure; submit to; tolerate
  6. to keep up; maintain; sustain; specif., to maintain (the price of a specified commodity) as by government purchase of surpluses
  7. Comput. to be compatible withsee compatible (sense )

Last edited by little margie; 03-07-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Good lord.

Why not try reading the title of the thread instead of wasting your time with pedagogical minutiae.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 AM

140 posts, read 266,830 times
I would vote for him..de Bozo is a social experiment that is failing.

I don't know if he will run though

Hopefully Lhota will again

If only we can stop these idealistic hipsters who have no business here from voting

Old 03-09-2015, 08:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
I would vote for him..de Bozo is a social experiment that is failing.

I don't know if he will run though

Hopefully Lhota will again

If only we can stop these idealistic hipsters who have no business here from voting
They pay taxes and are US citizens, therefore they can vote. The city needed their money. Thank goodness they pushed a lot of low class scum out of the main areas of the city.

Arguably Giuliani paved the way for them to come.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They pay taxes and are US citizens, therefore they can vote. The city needed their money. Thank goodness they pushed a lot of low class scum out of the main areas of the city.

Arguably Giuliani paved the way for them to come.
You're talking to one of those "low class scum" buddy boy. Maybe parts of 'shwick were low class but I'm from Williamsburg around Berry & Metropolitan and my area was never low class unless you consider Union guys, cops, firemen etc. low class. Oh and I'm not a disgruntled rented I own outright but they have destroyed this community. People have been moving here forever but THESE people came and colonized large swathes of the city and look upon us native NYers like we are garbage. I walked into a coffee shop (that used to be the candy store that my mother took me too as a kid) and opened my mouth to order a coffee and these people heard my accent and even though I'm a well dressed Caucasian they treat me like scum. I was on the L train and I heard some tramp dressed like a gypsy talking about how "native New Yorkers are provincial rednecks" then GTFO.

I'm fine with their taxes, but you should have to produce some kind of proof of a birth certificate or 5 years worth of leases to vote...they're essentially carpetbaggers trying to turn on us into Frisco with snow.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:03 AM

For a "native NYer" you seem to have no loyalty..my guess is you grew up in TriBeCa or something and hate us normal people...either that or youre from Iowa and think because you invaded my neighborhood you're a New Yorker.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
For a "native NYer" you seem to have no loyalty..my guess is you grew up in TriBeCa or something and hate us normal people...either that or youre from Iowa and think because you invaded my neighborhood you're a New Yorker.
Born in Jackson Heights, Queens.

The old Williamsburg was an ugly industrial neighborhood.

It's much nicer these days since Bloomberg rezoned it and other industrial neigborhoods for both office buildings and residential development. These neighborhoods have a much higher tax base and as a result the city is doing well.

Out of those neighborhoods and places like Harlem and Bedstuy, thank goodness a lot of filth was pushed out.

Why would I be nostalgic for decayed industrial city full of hoodlums and criminals?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Born in Jackson Heights, Queens.

The old Williamsburg was an ugly industrial neighborhood.

It's much nicer these days since Bloomberg rezoned it and other industrial neigborhoods for both office buildings and residential development. These neighborhoods have a much higher tax base and as a result the city is doing well.

Out of those neighborhoods and places like Harlem and Bedstuy, thank goodness a lot of filth was pushed out.

Why would I be nostalgic for decayed industrial city full of hoodlums and criminals?
Perhaps you're thinking of Wburg as a monolith

There are 4 williamsburgs
Northside which is the super gentrified part. This was always a middle class white area with no industry

East side which was industrial and Puerto Rican

Southside which was nicer than east side but still Spanish no industry

South Williamsburg which is where the Jews are

Bed stuy and Harlem are still ghetto but those aren't my people I could care less

And I'm not nostalgic for the crime. I'm nostalgic for REAL people. People who had an actual connection to this city, people who weren't uppity, neighborhoods where people grew up, where we all had similar heritage

Now it's anywhere town USA

you're talking about peoples homes

Again, I don't believe you're a native New Yorker. I think you're a carpet bagger, if you grew up in this city you would know that a city is defined by it's inhabitants. You can make all the pretty buildings you want but there is nothing like the personality of a native New Yorker

Go to San Francisco, and take a look around at what a city becomes when you push all the normal people out

I would LOVE for crime to sky rocket. I'm street smart no one is gonna bother me. But I would love to see "Topher" the graphic designer/guitarist who lives across the street get stabbed by someone for his iPhone

Old 03-09-2015, 03:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,026 times
Rudy would only win if De Blasio destroys the city with crime and malaise. Rudy would win Staten Island (especially South Shore, New Dorp,), win heavily in Bensonhurst, Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge, Gravesend, Brooklyn. He would win Rosedale, Whitestone., and the blue collar Queens, Bronx and the elite areas of Manhattan. He could run, but the NYC GOP should look at State Sen. Martin Golden ( R - South Brooklyn) or Councilman Eric Ulrich (R-Queens) if they want to win the mayoralty.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Yo I would be on the streets campaigning if Giuliani ran. I love him seriously. His comments about the Imam-in-Chief made me love him even more

Best mayor ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City