Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 07:01 AM

107 posts, read 219,322 times

Advertisements

Anyone listen in on Diaz's state of the borough address? He brought up two items that I think would be great for furthering Bronx development but would probably never happen.

1- Turning the rarely used Sheriden Expressway into a pedestrian plaza/boulvard

2- Build up over three train yards to develop office space/housing/commercial stores similar to what is going on at Hudson Yards in Manhattan and what was proposed at Sunnyside Yards in queens.

I could see the benefit of each but I highly doubt it will ever happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Interesting. The big aim is to redevelop the South Bronx water front. But I have to admit that the Bronx is littered with train yards and Junctions can't can be use for air rights purposes.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-21-2015 at 08:47 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 11:49 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Not in the near future, simply because the economics don't work out. The land in the Bronx is still relatively cheap, with a lot of underdeveloped/vacant land.

The only one of those 3 that I can see development on is the 149th street (in the far future), the other 2 have no upside for the amount of money needed to put in.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Not in the near future, simply because the economics don't work out. The land in the Bronx is still relatively cheap, with a lot of underdeveloped/vacant land.

The only one of those 3 that I can see development on is the 149th street (in the far future), the other 2 have no upside for the amount of money needed to put in.
I can see the land being redevelop for affordable housing usage. As for the Mott haven Junction I can see that being utilized pretty soon in the near future especially with future projects in the area like the general post office next door which was brought for millions. Actually the city was supposed to build a bridge across the junction and I don't know what happened.

Last but not least, Nywriterdude is going to love to hear about this. A film company is opening up film studios on acres of land in Soundview. Not for nothing it looks like Nywriterdude was kind of right the whole time about development coming to the borough.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2015...foot-hub-bronx

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-22-2015 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150220/soundview/studio-that-helped-make-godzilla-open-300000-sq-foot-hub-bronx

Old 02-22-2015, 12:14 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Quick question does afforable housing mean "The Projects"?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:38 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I can see the land being redevelop for affordable housing usage. As for the Mott haven Junction I can see that being utilized pretty soon in the near future especially with future projects in the area like the general post office next door which was brought for millions. Actually the city was supposed to build a bridge across the junction and I don't know what happened.

Last but not least, Nywriterdude is going to love to hear about this. A film company is opening up film studios on acres of land in Soundview. Not for nothing it looks like Nywriterdude was kind of right the whole time about development coming to the borough.

Studio That Helped Make 'Godzilla' to Open 300,000-Sq-Foot Hub in Bronx - Soundview - DNAinfo.com New York
Putting anything new in Manhattan costs a fantastic amount of money, and now Brooklyn and Queens have become expensive and the worthwhile places in those two boroughs that have not already been developed have been bought out or otherwise in the works to be developed.

So that leaves really only the Bronx, which has a lot of underutilized properties especially in the South Bronx. And to further improve the Bronx you can't rely on overflow from Manhattan (Harlem may never 100% gentrify). Basically, it was obvious the Bronx was going to seek out more private sector investment and by having more employers in the Bronx use that to improve things. We'll be hearing about more big projects in other sectors opening up facilities in the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City