Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:33 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,212,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
The part of Staten Island south of the Expressway is very different, speaking generally. The Wu-tang clan was from Stapleton and surrounding areas. So there are more poor and rough areas. (There are some nice areas tho dotted around.) Most of the south is totally safe. The odds of getting robbed walking down the street in the middle of the night are very small. So trying to draw a parallel in terms of crime is a complete joke. Many of the south shore locals can be rough around the edges, because they are mostly Brooklyn transplants, but they are not criminals. The south is mostly Italian, Irish, Russian and some Jews. The north is much more black and hispanic.

While yes, you do see some people driving BMW's who shouldn't, I think that's more the result of bad money priorities than necessarily crime.

Please, with the most of the south is safe. It may have been years ago before the heroin epidemic, but it isn't anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The sea level isn't going anywhere in our lifetimes and contrary to gloom and doom weather forcasters, Sandy was an extreme abberation.
Which could happen again. As a matter of fact, I've read that we should really prepare for these kinds of storms as scientists "believe" they will become more prevalent.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
I have lived in the South Shore for the past 35 years.........lots of money, and it is not from the NYPD or FYPD. It is more from business owners, and the Russians........lots of them have come here with lots of money, and professionals......
Don't forget the mob.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:47 PM

749 posts, read 918,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post

Please, with the most of the south is safe. It may have been years ago before the heroin epidemic, but it isn't anymore.
THE Heroin epidemic is everywhere.........132 deaths in the New Jersey Shore, Vermont, Mass., Conn., all are having Heroin epidemics......what often happens is that they usually keep them nice and quiet.......it is hard to keep anything quiet in NYC........

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
THE Heroin epidemic is everywhere.........132 deaths in the New Jersey Shore, Vermont, Mass., Conn., all are having Heroin epidemics......what often happens is that they usually keep them nice and quiet.......it is hard to keep anything quiet in NYC........
But we're not talking about those areas. This thread is a discussion comparing the North Shore of Staten Island and the South Shore of Staten Island. Establishments on Staten Island's South Shore and North Shore deal drugs. It is extremely prevalent on the South Shore. Drunk Driving is a problem in Staten Island too.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Don't forget the mob.

They have moved to Monmouth County in New Jersey.......and Northern NJ. Watch "Housewives of NJ." and one of them was currently put in jail...........

Old 03-05-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
But we're not talking about those areas. This thread is a discussion comparing the North Shore of Staten Island and the South Shore of Staten Island. Establishments on Staten Island's South Shore and North Shore deal drugs. It is extremely prevalent on the South Shore. Drunk Driving is a problem in Staten Island too.
What you have failed to realize is that for some time I have been seeing people here in City-Data, from the Brooklyn ghettos trying to make Staten Island a sewage, so that it can take the spotlight away from them.......

Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 PM

A Crisis Behind Closed Doors: Understanding Staten Island's Heroin Problem | MetroFocus | THIRTEEN

The CDC is calling this the worst drug epidemic in United States history. It’s very different from the previous opioid epidemic, which was just heroin. That was in the 70’s. That epidemic disproportionately affected people who were low-income and non-white. It was disproportionately African Americans and Latinos. This time around, the epidemic is almost completely white,” Dr. Kolodny told MetroFocus’ Rafael Pi Roman.

From 2010-2012, heroin overdose deaths more than doubled on Staten Island – from 14 to 34.

“The upsurge of heroin is really only visible by the results,” said Arneth. “Drug use on Staten Island has never been out in the open, even when we had the crack epidemic here. It was not out on the street. A lot of the drug dealing and drug interactions on Staten Island happen in people’s homes, in their basements, in their backyards.”

Radio Rookies: Why Is Staten Island NYC's OD Capital? - WNYC

In New York City, the prescription painkiller abuse rates aren't as high as the rest of the country — except on Staten Island, where their impact is wide and deep. The city's health department says three times more people overdose from painkillers there than in the rest of the city. Radio Rookie Tasina Berkey set out to find out why Staten Island is struggling. Her reporting shows it's easy for teenagers on Staten Island to get access to prescription painkillers. And increasingly, what comes next for some users is heroin. Why? Because it's cheaper.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
They have moved to Monmouth County in New Jersey.......and Northern NJ. Watch "Housewives of NJ." and one of them was currently put in jail...........
Good. We don't need them!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
What you have failed to realize is that for some time I have been seeing people here in City-Data, from the Brooklyn ghettos trying to make Staten Island a sewage, so that it can take the spotlight away from them.......
Huh? I don't know a thing about that. I come here and try to be honest with my offerings. I don't care about what someone else thinks. It is what it is. I'm not slandering because what I offer is based on facts so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City