Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 PM

624 posts, read 982,695 times

Advertisements

What buildings do you like in the Bronx? If you were shopping for an apartment to buy, which buildings would be you looking into?

Particularly I'm interested in the South Bronx (south of 167 to Bruckner) and Bedford Park / Norwood.

1020 Grand Concourse looks like one of the nicest. 811 Walton looks like it has decent amenities as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:52 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
800 Grand Concourse is probably by far the best building in the South Bronx as far as finances and other fundamentals are concerned,followed by either 860 or 1020 GC . Most of the rest of them down there have some serious financial and or QOL issues. I think if I had to buy down there it would have been 800 even though I really like the architecture of 1020. 811 Walton has been on the verge of insolvency a few times in the last 25 years.They are hanging in there and seem to be slowly recovering but I wouldn't buy there.

In Bedford Park/ Norwood I think the best is 325 E. 201 st,followed in order by 3201 Grand Concourse,340 East Mosholu Parkway South,3400 Wayne Ave and 190 E mosholu Parkway South.

All of the above opinions are based on financial stability and other fundamentals like ownership ratio, sizes of reserve funds,building and plant condition,mortgage debt,etc, rather than "amenities" . I'd rather buy in a strong financial co op than one that has gyms,garages,etc though those things can be nice. There are some buildings in Riverdale and Pelham Parkway and Morris Park that are better than all of the above in those regards. A few solid ones in Woodlawn as well.

I spent the better part of 2 years investigating almost every co op and condo in the entire Bronx before I bought so I have been in and am familiar with the fundamentals of most of them.

You have to be very careful when buying a co op anywhere in the city but probably even more so in The Bronx.A lot of the buildings have been through some hard times over the years and there are sometimes a lot of lingering issues that are not apparent unless you really dig.You have to be especially careful of condos in The Bronx too because most of them have a high percentage of non owners in the building and they are often not the kinds of people you want as neighbors.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-21-2015 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 07:07 AM

Wow thanks, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
1020 GC is my favorite hands down. If I was a bachelor that's where I would have bought.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
800 Grand Concourse is probably by far the best building in the South Bronx as far as finances and other fundamentals are concerned,followed by either 860 or 1020 GC . Most of the rest of them down there have some serious financial and or QOL issues. I think if I had to buy down there it would have been 800 even though I really like the architecture of 1020. 811 Walton has been on the verge of insolvency a few times in the last 25 years.They are hanging in there and seem to be slowly recovering but I wouldn't buy there.

In Bedford Park/ Norwood I think the best is 325 E. 201 st,followed in order by 3201 Grand Concourse,340 East Mosholu Parkway South,3400 Wayne Ave and 190 E mosholu Parkway South.

All of the above opinions are based on financial stability and other fundamentals like ownership ratio, sizes of reserve funds,building and plant condition,mortgage debt,etc, rather than "amenities" . I'd rather buy in a strong financial co op than one that has gyms,garages,etc though those things can be nice. There are some buildings in Riverdale and Pelham Parkway and Morris Park that are better than all of the above in those regards. A few solid ones in Woodlawn as well.

I spent the better part of 2 years investigating almost every co op and condo in the entire Bronx before I bought so I have been in and am familiar with the fundamentals of most of them.

You have to be very careful when buying a co op anywhere in the city but probably even more so in The Bronx.A lot of the buildings have been through some hard times over the years and there are sometimes a lot of lingering issues that are not apparent unless you really dig.You have to be especially careful of condos in The Bronx too because most of them have a high percentage of non owners in the building and they are often not the kinds of people you want as neighbors.
Really. What are your thoughts on 306 East Mosholu Pkwy South and 3131 Grand Concourse. I was under the impression that 811 Walton Avenue was a rental until recent years. I knew a friend who lived on Walton in that vicinity. I didn't like it. Because of the park being there, there's a feeling of isolation and since there is no street going east, you feel a bit trapped in there. I say this because I was not pleased with the number of people I'd see "just hanging around" there. There was also a lot of dog doo and debris on the sidewalks.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Really. What are your thoughts on 306 East Mosholu Pkwy South and 3131 Grand Concourse. I was under the impression that 811 Walton Avenue was a rental until recent years. I knew a friend who lived on Walton in that vicinity. I didn't like it. Because of the park being there, there's a feeling of isolation and since there is no street going east, you feel a bit trapped in there. I say this because I was not pleased with the number of people I'd see "just hanging around" there. There was also a lot of dog doo and debris on the sidewalks.
There were a lot of units for sale at 811 Walton when I was looking to buy in 2005-2006. The realtor that seems to sell a lot in that building is Ariela Heilman. At the time, the units were overpriced and rather small compared to what you could get in comparable areas in Brooklyn and Queens, like Ditmas Park and Jackson Heights. Maybe if they had been half the price I might have looked more seriously. I am not sure what happened to the prices since 2006 but I imagine there must have been a big drop in 2009 or so. Perhaps they are back up to 2006 levels by now.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

860 is a really nice place. That's the one across from the NYS Supreme Court bldg. 24 hour doorman and sunken living rooms. Blue, What do you think of 675 Walton Ave. I have been there a few times. Part time doorman and really clean.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There were a lot of units for sale at 811 Walton when I was looking to buy in 2005-2006. The realtor that seems to sell a lot in that building is Ariela Heilman. At the time, the units were overpriced and rather small compared to what you could get in comparable areas in Brooklyn and Queens, like Ditmas Park and Jackson Heights. Maybe if they had been half the price I might have looked more seriously. I am not sure what happened to the prices since 2006 but I imagine there must have been a big drop in 2009 or so. Perhaps they are back up to 2006 levels by now.
Funny Miss Heilman I believe lives in 675 Walton.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Best coops IMO are along Palisade Ave in Riverdale. Good financial shape to go along with unobstructed views of the River.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 AM

The prices for apartments right now are quite surprising. Prices in the South Bronx is already pulling ahead of other areas for buying and renting. Norwood / BP is a relative bargain. It probably won't be long before 1 bedrooms in nice buildings like 1020 GC will be asking $200K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City