Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 10,598 times

Advertisements

I moved to East New York after being in New Mexico for two years. Originally, my plan was to save my money and get the hell out of here as soon as possible. Contrary to some of what I've been reading on these boards, its not a dangerous place- it's just uncared for.

Every house is built in a different style, there's no community or culture and I have to leave this neighborhood to buy food. The politicians in east new york are brazenly corrupt (they get caught taking bribes from developers and still run for re-election and WIN!!! They win!!!! because noone even knows ) and there seems to be an old-boy network that if you are not a part of, you will not be served. There is no accountability. Noone knows why the community board keeps approving all th new construction, for eaxmple and I dont know where the money that's being earmarked for the neighborhood culture is going. It just seems anachronistic that in this day and time, a place like this could exist...

So- how can I bring change to this community? Is it a lost cause? I am not one who believes that someone else will do it, I try to be proactive but I don't know if the problem is simply too big...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 02:46 PM

97 posts, read 238,589 times
So you want to bring culture to the New York City huh? Well, if you ask me, I believe that New York City already has culture. Did I say say culture? I meant class.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,596 times
I'd say you can't change it.
Drugs are rampant through that area.
So is violence.
Maybe sometime in the future it will be good but not soon.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:47 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Run for office.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:48 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,943 times
That place needs some good Gentrification in the future. That will bring change, better culture and some good food options to East new York. But It won't happened in my lifetime. LOL

Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
That place needs some good Gentrification in the future. That will bring change, better culture and some good food options to East new York. But It won't happened in my lifetime. LOL
Stop the inflow of whites from moving to these areas dont incourage it. Can you image whites move in east ny and it would become another park slope. I was at park slope recently and it was horrible. I was so frighten. The lights, stores and the people riding bikes and walking in the street. Oh please the horror. Can only image how much evil money that could bring into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: