Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Not only NJ, Long Island and Westchester are even worse. They dropped office rents in these suburban parks and they still can't find tenants. The office buildings in downtown White Plains are being converted into residential right now. Long Island and Westchester pretty much taxed themselves out. Northern NJ cities that are along the PATH train, including Newark by the way, are doing very well. Interior Long Island (outside the shore and Hamptons), over the past decade, became a horrible place to live due to the improvement in the city. One thing it had going for it before were low crime rates and good schools, nowadays its just Queens with huge taxes and anti-development micro communities.
THis is not only happening in NYC suburbs but are also happening in other suburbs that surround majory densly populated cities like DC, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco. I wouldn't include Westchester in with Long Island, Westchester is doing alright even with hipsters who got priced out and moved to Westhchester along to Hudson to bigger spaces to raise a family. Some Westchester County town centers like New Rochelle are very walkable and offer amenties, ditto for White Plains and certain parts of Yonkers. Long Island suburbs are a bit different and much more spread out. The big problem with suburbs is that suburbanites are highly educated and the burbs lack professional and creative jobs, this will force many millennials to move to the city for work instead of staying in mommy and daddy's basement. I remember reading or listenting to a video about the decline of Long Island and one listener said the decline of Long Island help push gentrification in parts of Brooklyn. This was on WNYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not everyone's life revolves around the "children", even if they do have them.

There are plenty of people who raise children in big cities.

It all depends on the priority of the person, and what the person likes to do.

Many of the fields growing in the city, like tech, film, tv, etc one finds these jobs or advances in these fields at industry events and other various forms of networking. Meaning living out in the suburbs is absolutely not an option because AFTER work to stay CURRENT on what's going on in your field, you have places you have to be.

NYC's industrial sector is DEAD, so waterfront neighborhoods like the West Side of Manhattan and East River Brooklyn have entirely different uses. I should know because I have been to many film industry events in these places myself, I have seen tech expos, and I have been by buildings converted to other uses (Google's base in the former Port Authority building is an excellent example).

So no, this hasn't happened before because the city never had this particular economic path before. The sectors that are growing are tech, film, tv, and other creative positions. Well tourism is growing too.

On this forum many of the so called people of color are upset about gentrification because let's face it, until recently a huge chunk of this population did low skilled manual labor (the men) or rock bottom civil service work like public sector clerks (the women and older ones didn't need degrees). So basically they can't participate in the city's economy substantially and don't want to do all the work it would take to improve their resumes and qualify themselves for better jobs.
What is their to be upset about? Thank goodness I don't have a 100k debt halo around my head compared to suburban cohort who went to these expensive colleges and still not making banging buck as of yet while paying expensive rents at the same time. Stuff like this will hurt NYC and America because it allows individuals to delay family making, marriage and home purchases. As for raising families in a big city? A good portion of people I know plan on moving out of NYC for better schools. That's coming from Native New Yorkers. As for the Transplant people I know, aka educated college professionals who are from the suburbs but move to NYC for work? I still don't know if these folks will bunker down in NYC for the long haul and again NYC has plenty of issues, I know of professional transplants who got beaten up in Manhattan and left for dead, this didn't happen in Bronx or Brooklyn but in urber hip areas of Manhattan. Transplants have to deal with pollution and high asthma rates in hip and up and coming neighborhoods. Schools in some areas are still horrible and if Transplants are going to have kids they are going to want a similar suburban environment in the city for their kids to have, but cities can not offer similar suburban environment and never will. I read a Washington Post article that highly doubts millennials are going to stay in hip areas for long and will probably move back to the burbs when ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 03:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
THis is not only happening in NYC suburbs but are also happening in other suburbs that surround majory densly populated cities like DC, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco. I wouldn't include Westchester in with Long Island, Westchester is doing alright even with hipsters who got priced out and moved to Westhchester along to Hudson to bigger spaces to raise a family. Some Westchester County town centers like New Rochelle are very walkable and offer amenties, ditto for White Plains and certain parts of Yonkers. Long Island suburbs are a bit different and much more spread out. The big problem with suburbs is that suburbanites are highly educated and the burbs lack professional and creative jobs, this will force many millennials to move to the city for work instead of staying in mommy and daddy's basement. I remember reading or listenting to a video about the decline of Long Island and one listener said the decline of Long Island help push gentrification in parts of Brooklyn. This was on WNYC.

What is their to be upset about? Thank goodness I don't have a 100k debt halo around my head compared to suburban cohort who went to these expensive colleges and still not making banging buck as of yet while paying expensive rents at the same time. Stuff like this will hurt NYC and America because it allows individuals to delay family making, marriage and home purchases. As for raising families in a big city? A good portion of people I know plan on moving out of NYC for better schools. That's coming from Native New Yorkers. As for the Transplant people I know, aka educated college professionals who are from the suburbs but move to NYC for work? I still don't know if these folks will bunker down in NYC for the long haul and again NYC has plenty of issues, I know of professional transplants who got beaten up in Manhattan and left for dead, this didn't happen in Bronx or Brooklyn but in urber hip areas of Manhattan. Transplants have to deal with pollution and high asthma rates in hip and up and coming neighborhoods. Schools in some areas are still horrible and if Transplants are going to have kids they are going to want a similar suburban environment in the city for their kids to have, but cities can not offer similar suburban environment and never will. I read a Washington Post article that highly doubts millennials are going to stay in hip areas for long and will probably move back to the burbs when ready.
Actually the debt isn't that big a deal. As long as they are making payments on it, if they work in education, non profit, or for the government the debt gets canceled in 10 years. Or if working in the private sector and not making large sums of money, the debt get canceled in 25 years as long as they pay the minimum (which can be pretty low).

And as for the rest dude, you're merely dreaming. Most transplants aren't getting beat up or dealing with asthma.

You're stuck in NYC which isn't working for you, you want to move out but don't really have the opportunity, and you're miserable. Misery loves company, so of course you'd like to come up with the most absurd scenarios.

And yes these people are in NYC for the long haul. Truthfully NYC has always had a population of wealthy whites who lived here. The only difference is the neighborhoods they lived in expanded in recent years.

What's being priced out is a scummy population of people of color who don't deserve to be here, and who wanted the city "ghetto" all so they could afford to move here from whatever wretched third world dump.

The Native New Yorkers moving out of NYC are those who cannot afford good schools in the city and who don't have professional opportunities here. Again safe schools for their precious children (the next generation of crackheads and thugs) is just an excuse for their inability to make a life for themselves here, due to lack of education and work ethic.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:40 PM

15,854 posts, read 14,479,382 times
The concept of a suburb has always been to be a bedroom community for a nearby urban core. The jobs usually were in the city, and the housing, at least the lower density housing, was in the suburbs. Have the jobs move out there was something of a new concept. A lot of suburbs are essentially repurposed farm land.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Actually the debt isn't that big a deal. As long as they are making payments on it, if they work in education, non profit, or for the government the debt gets canceled in 10 years. Or if working in the private sector and not making large sums of money, the debt get canceled in 25 years as long as they pay the minimum (which can be pretty low).
In actuality, everything about this is entirely false, as anyone who works with non-provileged young people or simply knows any is aware.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:

Astute comments on the differences there between different types of suburbs, esp. diff between Westchester and most of LI. As you say New Ro, WP are walkable to some extent (as is Port Chester). So is Mt. Vernon but it still has crime issues. There is a flow of a certain class of creative types from Brooklyn out of the boro when their kids get to around middle school age. The river towns are a frequent destination, being deemed more "progressive" and "creative" than other parts of Westchester and LI. But the most "creative" destinations in the Hudson valley are a bit too far out to be considered suburbs.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In actuality, everything about this is entirely false, as anyone who works with non-provileged young people or simply knows any is aware.
Everything about this is 100% true.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loan...public-service

And

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loan.../income-driven

The problem with people here is people "know" stuff without verifying it from official sources, or without even going anywhere near college students who have loans to ask them how they are dealing with it. Everyone likes to think of themselves as an expert in everything, particularly when they know nothing about a subject.

I've backed up my statements by citing official sources from the government.

Graduates who took out student loans do not have to drown in debt, and there are the above payment plans which lead to forgiveness after a certain period of time (if the student hasn't already paid them off).

Old 02-27-2015, 09:20 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:

And

The problem with people here is people "know" stuff without verifying it from official sources, or without even going anywhere near college students who have loans to ask them how they are dealing with it. Everyone likes to think of themselves as an expert in everything, particularly when they know nothing about a subject.

Graduates who took out student loans do not have to drown in debt, and there are the above payment plans which lead to forgiveness after a certain period of time (if the student hasn't already paid them off).

Depends. Federal and private loans have different rules. While the private loans are only about 10% of the market, there is no statutory forgiveness plan in the private loans. You'll need a like-minded company to purchase your private loan ...

Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:

And

Please don't make me laugh. Debt bubble for college grads is pushing towards 2 trillion dollars. Most college grads are not well off just like of the gentifiers moving into Harlem and Brooklyn living with roommates and other big cities across the country. Please tell me it's only the 1 percent of the wealthy that are only moving into big cities?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Please don't make me laugh. Debt bubble for college grads is pushing towards 2 trillion dollars. Most college grads are not well off just like of the gentifiers moving into Harlem and Brooklyn living with roommates and other big cities across the country. Please tell me it's only the 1 percent of the wealthy that are only moving into big cities?
Are you sure you aren't projecting your own issues?

I mean people who do poorly always swear the system is about to collapse permanently. I've heard people talk like this for a long time.

But it never happens.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:18 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Not everyone's life revolves around the "children", even if they do have them.

There are plenty of people who raise children in big cities.

It all depends on the priority of the person, and what the person likes to do.

Many of the fields growing in the city, like tech, film, tv, etc one finds these jobs or advances in these fields at industry events and other various forms of networking. Meaning living out in the suburbs is absolutely not an option because AFTER work to stay CURRENT on what's going on in your field, you have places you have to be.

NYC's industrial sector is DEAD, so waterfront neighborhoods like the West Side of Manhattan and East River Brooklyn have entirely different uses. I should know because I have been to many film industry events in these places myself, I have seen tech expos, and I have been by buildings converted to other uses (Google's base in the former Port Authority building is an excellent example).

So no, this hasn't happened before because the city never had this particular economic path before. The sectors that are growing are tech, film, tv, and other creative positions. Well tourism is growing too.

On this forum many of the so called people of color are upset about gentrification because let's face it, until recently a huge chunk of this population did low skilled manual labor (the men) or rock bottom civil service work like public sector clerks (the women and older ones didn't need degrees). So basically they can't participate in the city's economy substantially and don't want to do all the work it would take to improve their resumes and qualify themselves for better jobs.
This is true plenty of people raise children in the city, I was raised in the city. However the city was different then, and the suburbs weren't as built up as they are now. Most people just moved to what is considered the fringes of the city like the north Bronx, Northwest Queens, Southeast Queens, Southeast Brooklyn, Staten Island, those places were suburban enough, and had good schools. Now all working people are pushed to these areas if they can afford to by one of the 1/2 million dollar homes there. Since many of these areas have little apt stock available.

People did move to the suburbs and their children did move back to the city when they finished college just like they do now. There were even TV sitcoms based on this in the 70's. Were the young career guy or girl moved to the city and their adventures, even episodes of the parents visiting from nearby suburbs.

As for leaving the city to return to the suburbs to raise children, even going as far back as the 1950's Lucy and Ricky Ricardo eventually left their east side apt and moved to Connecticut with Little Ricky. So this is definitely not new.

The reason people are upset about gentrification is more because of the fact that whatever "rock bottom" job they had, they had to take those "rock bottom" dollars and shop outside of the neighborhood for decent food, and lug it back home, plus go out to a restaurant or other activities outside of their neighborhood if they wanted to actually eat at the restaurant. Remember all the places with no seats and bullet proof partitions. Now when the neighborhood is changing all of sudden supermarkets and corner stores spruce up, and sell all sorts of things that you had to get on the subway, or take a bus to get before. Restaurants have remodeled, bullet proof partitions are now gone, you can sit down and eat. Were the people that were there before not good enough to get that same service before. After all many of them still live there.

Yes technology has eliminated many of the clerk filing jobs, and most of those workers have retired already. The few that are left have already been retrained into other positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City