Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 AM

138 posts, read 208,104 times

Advertisements

Marble Hill Hit-And-Run Leaves Man Dead « CBS New York

This is such a dangerous intersection, and a daily pain for anyone getting off the north bound 1 train and crossing Broadway to get home. If you live in this area, I urge you to contact the Bronx borough commissioner for the DOT and suggest that they consider a diagonal pedestrian crossing here, or somehow adjust the lights so it's safer: NYC DOT - Contact DOT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
On the news it looked like they had a very wide/busy street but without one of those countdown boxes. Is that right? They should implement that if anything.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM

It's a three way intersection and is very confusing. If you're on the east side of Broadway and are crossing to the west side, north bound traffic on Broadway stops while southbound traffic and vehicles turning from W. 225th onto Broadway continue. The walk signal isn't long enough to get all the way across six lanes of traffic, so people scramble across the north bound lanes when that traffic stops and then wait on the meridian until the walk signal comes for getting across the south bound lanes. There's a countdown box, but it doesn't do much good. It doesn't help that people speed over the Broadway bridge and often run the red light. I've crossed this intersection practically every weekday since I moved to the area in July last year and I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to be killed. I've seen a lot of near misses.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Never heard of anyone dying there in the past 3 decades. Must be an illegal!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:01 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Never heard of anyone dying there in the past 3 decades. Must be an illegal!
The driver or the dead guy ?

They found the car so they will probably track down the killer unless it was stolen.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:27 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The driver or the dead guy ?

They found the car so they will probably track down the killer unless it was stolen.

I was just j/k about the illegal part. I don't know. I'm pretty sure they will catch him but I have heard illegals have access to legal driver's licenses. How? No idea.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:37 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
My son and I were at that intersection this past fall, on our way to a Kennedy High football game!

First impression of that intersection is that the change of the streetlights are pretty quick, particularly that of the left turn from 225th to Bway! We made it across, though!

Old 02-25-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Never heard of anyone dying there in the past 3 decades.
Not dying maybe, but: "Motorists injured 58 pedestrians on Broadway between W. 225th and W. 240th in 2014, according to DOT."

That's more than one person per week on this particular stretch.

And: " CrashStat show that drivers killed eight pedestrians and injured dozens more on this segment of Broadway between 1995 and 2009."

from: Another Pedestrian Killed on Nightmarish Bronx Broadway Stretch | Streetsblog New York City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City