Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:37 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times

Advertisements

FWIW, these signs started going up in January. I don't know which group is ruder than which other group, but there certainly is a rudeness problem that bothered the MTA enough to invest in signs.

MTA Is Not Messing Around With New PSAs -- NYMag

That article showed only 3 of the 10 signs. The full MTA list for the new signs is:

Do’s include:
• “Step Aside to Let Others Off First”
• “Keep Your Stuff to Yourself”
• “Take Your Pack Off Your Back”
• “Offer Your Seat to an Elderly, Disabled, or Pregnant Person”
• “Take Your Litter Off With You”
• “Keep the Sound Down”

No No’s include:
• “Pole Are For Your Safety, Not Your Latest Routine”
• “Clipping? Primping?”
• “Don’t be a Pole Hog”
• “It’s a Subway Car Not a Dining Car”
• “Blocking Doors”
• “Dude…..Stop the Spread, Please”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:18 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I just run into people not staying to the right when walking on the stairs.

I think the problem with NYC is that not every one here drives, or even has a drivers license. So they don't know the whole stay right courtesy rules. Everywhere is a free for all.
It takes one subway trip involving a high traffic station to catch on to the stay to the right rule

Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 AM

138 posts, read 208,104 times
I wish someone would make stickers that say, "I was a dick and didn't remove my backpack on a crowded subway." It would be so easy to stick them on without the wearer noticing (until they get to their destination, of course, and take the pack off).

Old 02-25-2015, 05:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Chinese immigrants from China are the rudest, followed by middle eastern immigrants and Indians from India.

One thing that bothers me is that many of these immigrants aren't immunized so they could be carrying diseases such as measles and Tb.

I always tries to avoid standing face to face with them.

On the contrary, a lot of white women are also rude. They like to lean on the pole and then wonder why everyone is pushing or bumping into them. There's no place to hold!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyr76 View Post
listening to music too loud (sometimes without headphones)
I'd say that pretty much 100% of the time I hear a selfish clueless person listening to music out load without headphones they are black. Not ethnic Latino immigrants. Same with the guy singing or rapping out load, but more like 98% of the time they are black. The other 2% are usually American born Puerto Ricans, unless its a Mexican mariachi band.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:06 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I can deal with loud headphones or even loud talking. What I hate is when people think there are no expectations for human decency on a crowded subway. I get that it can be crowded, but that doesn't mean we throw societal norms out the window. I will be courteous and move in, take minimal space....but you do not have the right to try and pack in so much that you are more than casually rubbing up against me or anyone else.

The worst offenders:
- Chinese immigrants (straight from mainland china, do peanut seem to be issue for American born).
- Indians
- Older, liberal white women
- young liberal white women
- young / middle aged Latino women

Very rarely will you have middle aged or older white guys, or blacks of either gender, or Latino males try and jam themselves onto an absolutely packed 6 train when the doors are closing. Things that are annoying but not crimes on human decency - white guys acting as gatekeepers of the door instead of moving in, blacks being loud, and 4 foot tall Chinese ladies running onto train the very first second the doors open.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:27 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyr76 View Post
First of all I have to say that I am a Latino male living in Brooklyn, that out of the way I have to ask the question that hopefully doesn't offend too many people: Are Ethnic people the rudest, most uncouth and basically the worst subway riders? It pains me to say this but its as if they were not thought any manners at all; they are always taking too much space, listening to music too loud (sometimes without headphones), littering, blocking the doorways / rushing in and not letting people get off. The other day I got up to offer my seat to a pregnant lady and literally had to block a Latino male from taking it from her. What gives? Now I know "hipsters" and their book bags and weird musical instruments are sometimes a hassle but at least they observe ethics in the subway. I wish there was some kind of crackdown / fine issuing policy but I fear that it will get progressively worst as times go by. It really is a shame.
You sound like you are older and the day to day shyt that you have to deal with in NYC is starting to get to you...I hope that you are older and close to getting out.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
I admit it has been a while since I lived in NYC, but doesn't the title of this thread apply to about 90 percent of the passengers? lol.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 PM

267 posts, read 303,547 times
I don't know about New York City subways, but usually when I see someone acting in a way that shows their complete self absorbed mindset and a person who's not showing any consideration whatsoever for the people around them, it's a person of West European descent.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
I don't know about New York City subways
Then don't post in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City