Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,583 times

Advertisements

I'll put my plan upfront, which I should stress is a backup plan and my backstory after for people who don't feel like reading the whole thing:

What I've been thinking is to establish residence, rent a cheap room (from an individual) probably with a roomate somewhere in NY ideally in one of the five boroughs (probably an outer borough for the cheapness). I'll barely be there at all and might just need to sleep there a couple of times a week while I go to things like job fairs, interviews, etc. during the day. Meanwhile during the rest of the week I'll still work in MA full-time in my current job and have a cheap place to rent there to balance things out. During this time I can also get a New York state license through the NY address which A LOT of jobs in my field require.

I'm curious if anyone has taken a similar approach and what success they've had? Also, is there any places people would recommend for finding such a room. I'm looking for CHEAP since as I've mentioned I'd barely be there. Staten Island or non-borough places anything would work as this is just temporary and cheap is held above everything else in this case. Figure I'll pretty much have to use craigslist for this, but such is life.

Backstory:

I'm currently in the process of applying to jobs and as some of you probably already know it's next to impossible to land a job from out of state in NYC. Especially at my career level (pretty low level).

I'm situated in MA at the moment. I work in the mental health field for a company that has a prescence in multiple Northeastern states (unfortunately NY is not one of them). I used to live in NYC and really enjoy the city and have wanted to move back since I left. I left for financial reasons when I was in a different (lower paying) field. I just started getting into the meat of the application process. Since I'm thinking sending resumes out while out of state could very well be not at all fruitful I've been thinking of a backup plan if worse comes to worse and I don't have a job landed (the plan listed above).

I have some finances built up just for the purpose of moving and figured it would cost more then just first month's rent and a deposit to get my foot back in NYC. Just wondering if this is a good or bad approach. Also, if anyone else has other ideas I'd love to hear them Thanks in advance for anyone with helpful replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 07:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Are you allowed to have a NY State driver's license but keep your car insurance and registration in MA? Just something you should look into.

Also, if you're just interested in the license, you could live anywhere in NY State, including areas near the MA/NY border like Chatham, NY. Not sure if that would make things easier for you or not.

If you're going to get a room for rent and your purpose is to receive mail there, you have to ask about that in advance. I'm sure there are probably a lot of room for rent situations where they would not give you access to the mailbox key.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are you allowed to have a NY State driver's license but keep your car insurance and registration in MA? Just something you should look into.

Also, if you're just interested in the license, you could live anywhere in NY State, including areas near the MA/NY border like Chatham, NY. Not sure if that would make things easier for you or not.

If you're going to get a room for rent and your purpose is to receive mail there, you have to ask about that in advance. I'm sure there are probably a lot of room for rent situations where they would not give you access to the mailbox key.
Yeah, I was thinking about transferring my car over to my mother for a while (perhaps even maybe for good since it is NYC). I talked with her about it already and she'd be open to it (she doesn't have a car and it would actually be helpful for her).

I thought about the NY state thing. I think it might be better to aim closer to NYC though. I figure since I eventually want to be back in NYC it would be best to get a job in the area. I figure if I have an address too far it also may turn off potential employers. I've actually been to Chatham before at least a few times. While, I'm not opposed to having an address outside of the boroughs, northern Columbia county seems too far.

Also, I definitely agree with you on the mailbox thing. I absolutely have to get that cleared away with potential landlords up front or otherwise it could jsut be a lot of trouble for nothing.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 PM

624 posts, read 982,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about transferring my car over to my mother for a while (perhaps even maybe for good since it is NYC). I talked with her about it already and she'd be open to it (she doesn't have a car and it would actually be helpful for her).

I thought about the NY state thing. I think it might be better to aim closer to NYC though. I figure since I eventually want to be back in NYC it would be best to get a job in the area. I figure if I have an address too far it also may turn off potential employers.
Why is your address so important? Can't you just tell your new potential employers that you are planning to relocate to NYC upon accepting a job offer somewhere?

Keep in mind that if you make a high income that your taxes will be much higher as a resident of NYC due to NYC income tax. You should also compare NYS tax rate to your state tax rate. NYC rents will also be much higher than other NYS locations, even in the outer boroughs. I would imagine the cheapest will be far reaches in staten island. You should also look at new jersey. Your place will still have good access to midtown, be cheaper than NYC, and you avoid NYC income tax.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Why is your address so important? Can't you just tell your new potential employers that you are planning to relocate to NYC upon accepting a job offer somewhere?

Keep in mind that if you make a high income that your taxes will be much higher as a resident of NYC due to NYC income tax. You should also compare NYS tax rate to your state tax rate. NYC rents will also be much higher than other NYS locations, even in the outer boroughs. I would imagine the cheapest will be far reaches in staten island. You should also look at new jersey. Your place will still have good access to midtown, be cheaper than NYC, and you avoid NYC income tax.
To answer you first paragraph, in a perfect world yes. However, without a NYC address a lot of employers are unlikely to give me job interview let alone a job. I'm still trying and there are plenty of worthwhile places I haven't even sent in my resume to yet, but this is a backup plan that I just might have to use.

I've researched a ton about living in New York and have lived there before so am familiar with a lot of what you've raised. Also, I've thought about living in New Jersey, but that just isn't really an option for me. Not because I wouldn't like to, but because a lot of companies in my field require a NYS driver's license, which you just can't get with a NJ address. Not to mention that since I'm in the mental health field all of the certifications you need to get as you progress in my career field which are state specific.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:47 AM

110 posts, read 218,659 times
I think its worth trying. You should be able to find a cheap room on CL. Maybe you can even look into a share where your "room" is the living room. I've seen postings like that...then you would have a local address to use and a place to crash when you're interviewing. I don't think you necessarily need to get a NY State ID right away. Most employers won't look at that until you've gotten the job and they're making a copy for paperwork purposes. You could always just say that you've recently relocated to NYC and haven't gotten a new ID yet if they ask for some reason.

I'm a recruiter, and I agree that most places won't interview you if they see you're not located in the NYC area. Especially if you're junior level. The reason they won't is because there are so many local people to choose from, and hiring someone who doesn't live in the area takes more time. Often, people will say they intend to relocate but won't be able to for various reasons. Once you reach a point in your career, and you have lots of experience under your belt, it's slightly easier to be considered when you aren't local.

When I receive an application from a candidate who doesn't live in the area, I usually consider local applicants first. Most times when a job is posted, the company is looking to get someone hired and started asap. Fair or not - thats just how it happens. There is sooo much competition for jobs these days, and so many talented people in the NYC area that considering people who aren't local just doesn't make much sense. I'm not saying it never happens...but you're definitely better off finding something quicker with a place in the city.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 PM

Hi KellyDNYC,

Some good points. Thanks for the interomation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City