Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:52 AM

30 posts, read 26,447 times

Advertisements

Hello New Yorkers!

Later this year (or should I say end of this year) I plan tovisit New York City with my wife. She’s always wanted to tour NY and for her 60th birthday, I thought I would surprise her. However, I’ll be the first to admit I’mnot the best when it comes to planning vacations (that’s her job) yet this onesolely lies on me. I’m hoping to ask you guys/gals for some informationregarding the city and your honest opinions and suggestions. All feedback isgreatly appreciated! Let’s get this started…

First, my wife has always wanted to see the Rockefeller TreeLighting so I know we will be flying east (from Ohio) early December andstaying for roughly 4-5 days. There are definitely a few locations she’smentioned to me she’s always wanted to visit including, the Twin TowersMemorial, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, and so forth. We prettymuch want to see a majority of what NYC has to offer while having a centrallocation for our hotel so we can easily get around.

However, I wasn’t sure how practical (and easy) it was tosee all of these while also having a hotel in a close proximity to all of theselocations. For starters, would renting a car be a mandatory requirement forgetting around the city? My son lives in Seattle and public transportationseems to be very convenient (and safe!!!) whenever he uses the bus and I wascurious if the rumors were true about New York that public transportation… ishow would I say it politely… dangerous? Also, my wife isn’t the greatest whenit comes to walking lengthy distances (she isn’t a cripple but will be60 haha) soI guess I am at a loss of getting around.

Also, as mentioned, what are some nice hotels to stay atthat may be close (especially to the Rockefeller Tree) that we could possiblystay at? I’m not looking for the most luxurious hotel in NYC but nothing youmay be murdered in either. Something in between would be highly preferred ifpossible! Anyways, as mentioned, all information is appreciated! Thank you all!

Last edited by mdiocedo; 02-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Text Incorrect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
I'll just answer one question: YES, you should use public transportation here! As most tourists do, choose between subways and taxis (use some of both) depending on time of day. Subways are much faster during peak rush hour, when taxis get stuck in car traffic. Taxis are easiest on your wife's mobility, since they're all at street level. The hotel doorman will help you hail a cab.

There is also a huge network of MTA city buses that go wherever subways don't. Pros and cons: see outdoors while you travel, no big staircases up and down, slow to destination, you must wait outdoors in winter, but some stops have sheltered roofs and benches. With good directions before you set out, you might try one city bus ride early on, just to see if that works for you. Otherwise, count on the subway + taxi.

Your tourist sights are popular with subway stations very nearby. I'll suggest that, in NYC at age 60, an outdoor walking stretch of 2-12 minutes from indoors to the desired subway station is considered "nearby" so there IS some walking, always, in this city unless you taxi everywhere.

GIven what you've said about your wife being somewhat less inclined to walk, you might just do it all or mostly by taxi. Some "transfers" between two subway lines require a long indoor corridor walk or more stairs. If you discover in peak rush hour you can't hail a taxi off the street (this happens to NYC residents, too...), then fall back to a subway route instead, but be prepared to stand up. If she's hurting, you can ask anyone in their 20s/30s if they'll please give her their seat; generally good results follow. People read each others' faces and see the pain, but you might need to ask gently. Subway riders are self-absorbed, not unkind.

Advise her that nobody here cares how her feet look! Please choose the safest, flattest winter boots, to enjoy walking and cope with snow/rain/slush/ice on city streets.

Don't even think of renting a car for the major Manhattan sights you've mentioned, which are all in extremely busy car and pedestrian traffic locations. Forget curbside parking, it's impossible, and these sights don't have parking lots. Even if you have the money to afford all the public parking garage fees, negotiating all the intense urban car traffic and one-way streets in winter will gobble up all your time and wreck your nerves. People who are "good drivers" elsewhere give up when they encounter Manhattan driving, it's that much harder.

You will see women and men of every age on subways. 60 is young here; public transpo riders go up to age 90. Grave tales of constant subway danger are leftover from the 1980/90's; it's better now. Just stay aware of your surroundings, talk to each other softly, don't draw attention to yourselves. She'll immediately see that women here don't walk around fearfully clutching their purses, just keep it on her own lap with a hand resting on or through it, in any subway car or restaurant. As a male, carry your wallet in a breastpocket because everywhere you've mentioned visiting is quite popular. Try as you might, you'll still look like a tourist couple. I wouldn't want you to attract a pickpocket in a crowded area as you walk through.

Use subway paper maps, but try not to unfold them in public so much, which screams "Tourist!!" If you're good with smartphones, upload an app of MTA maps. A very smart thing to do is take the time to plan out your subway route BEFORE you leave the hotel (they'll help you), and consult your own written notes as you travel.

Large maps are posted inside MOST subway stations and train cars, helpful just to confirm your route, or in case you change your mind midday on a destination. Or, ask an MTA station agent selling tickets to confirm your route plan.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 02-26-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
For the Statue of Liberty, it is better just to view and take photos from the free Staten Island ferry during a short visit rather than actually going to Liberty Island itself.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM

116 posts, read 145,817 times
There are a few threads on here that may be helpful for you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-year-nyc.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...n-perfect.html

Also to second, third, fourth what was said about shoes - always go for comfort! It will make the day that much better. If it's raining / snowing, you will see many of us in galoshes anyway!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:34 AM

30 posts, read 26,447 times
Awesome! Thank you all, especially BrightRabbit for all the suggestions! I'll have read everything carefully over and decide from there. Also, I should ask for the Rockefellee Tree lighting, how much of a "zoo" is the crowd?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:14 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Comfortable shoes are a MUST! Make sure they are broken in well beforehand.

I'd advise to plan your days according to where on the island the sites are. Break it up into mid-town, the Village and downtown or you will exhaust yourself and waste time going back and forth.

Think about what sites you want to see. Museums are uptown in Museum Mile, many along Central park. Theaters are mid-town, in the 40s and 50s. NYPL (the Lions) w/Bryant Park, Grand Central Station, Lord & Taylor, Rockefeller Center, Saks Fifth, St. Patrick's Cathedral are all in the upper 30's through 50th street.

WTC memorial, Staten Island and Liberty Island Ferries are downtown.

Consider time contraints. If you really want to see Liberty or Ellis Island (I LOVE Ellis!), figure on at least half a day. Don't bother walking to the top of The Statue. It's exhausting and not for 60-year-olds. Stick to picture taking on the island itself.

Want to see a play? That's an evening thing or you can see matinees on Wednesday. The ticket booth under the Times Square stairs has same-day discount seats for many shows - mostly older ones as they are no longer complete sell outs - and you can get good deals. Restaurants are busy with tourists eating beforehand but the ones in the areas are used to theatergoers. Tell them you have a show so they know to get you out or they will tell you if they can't. I usually go to a deli a bit off the beaten path that locals use and get a sandwich there. Find one with seating. I ask a cop - "Howdy! Where can I find a deli that a local would use? I just want a sandwich or a salad."

Think about what you two will want to do and plan accordingly. Study the subway map so that you feel more familiar and know what stops you will need. I'll post some links a bit later after I've finished some errands.

Most of all, enjoy yourself!

Old 02-26-2015, 01:37 PM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
Restaurants and diners must all post one capital letter in the window, "A" "B" "C" or "Grade Pending."

That's not a food taste review. It's the city health department's grade, following their most recent inspection for hygiene, cleanliness, etc.

A is best. Personally, I'm fine with a "B" and skip over "C."

I'm not sure what "Grade Pending" means.. does anyone here know?

If you see no letter posted in the front window, that's illegal. They didn't like their grade. Don't go there.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:44 PM

Subway map PDF

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Central Park Homepage
Homepage - The Official Website of Central Park NYC

Statue of Libery/Ellis Island
The Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
Statue Of Liberty National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

A bit of everything:

The Official New York City Guide to NYC Attractions, Dining, Hotels and Things to Do / nycgo.com

Old 02-26-2015, 01:45 PM

Grade Pending means that the inspection has been done, but they haven't been notified yet.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:28 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiocedo View Post
Awesome! Thank you all, especially BrightRabbit for all the suggestions! I'll have read everything carefully over and decide from there. Also, I should ask for the Rockefellee Tree lighting, how much of a "zoo" is the crowd?
Going anywhere near that tree or even the area during December is a wall to wall crush of people, until the early hours of the morning/late night. It's mostly tourists like yourself, from all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City