Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times

Advertisements

I am walking down with a friend of mine to the turn styles at the 59st station. After I swipe my card to enter to the platform, my friend pushes me from behind and he enters to the platform with me (without paying). I had no idea he was going to do that. We are then pulled to the side by cops and they begin to interrogate my friend. He begins to apologize and then they ask for my imformation. After 20 minutes of embarrassment and anger, the cops give us a summons of $100 each. The paper says that i failed to pay the fare, but the cop must have seen me swipe my metrocard. What should I do. Should I just pay the $100 or plead not guilty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 05:41 PM

515 posts, read 875,551 times
You should make your friend pay your ticket. If you plead not guilty you'll have to write a professional letter explaining what happened and if you tell the truth they'll probably answer "You were apart of the crime" or something along those lines. If your friend doesn't want to pay it then you should. Losing $50 (i think) to that ticket is worth it compared to going to court and dealing with all the bs and paperwork that comes with pleading not guilty. TRUST ME.

Cops gave me a ticket once for walking through subway cars on the L train @ 14th st and 8ave (last stop) while the train was stationary and not moving for a good 10mins. I didn't even know that was illegal. I see people doing it all the times, especially while the train is moving. They approached me and said they're checking people for warrants under Bloomberg's new policy (BS). And they casually mentioned that it's illegal to walk through subway cars for anyone unless it's an emergency. I gladly handed them my ID. Next thing you know I'm getting a ticket.

Bonus Round! : after the train finally moved guess who's walking through the subway cars? I was pissed. These dicks are rubbing this **** in my face.

After pleading not guilty to a "crime" (LOL!) I actually committed they told me I would have to come in and personally talk with a judge. I'm like "take me money and **** off!"

Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I'd balance the costs and benefits of pleading guilty vs. fighting the ticket. While your friend should pay the ticket for you if you don't decide to fight it, that would still require you to plead guilty. And be aware that your pleading guilty could have an impact on future employment, etc. Note, this may not be a problem for you, but, as someone going through a security check now for a clearance, I would NOT want that on my record. Even if I wasn't applying for a clearance, I wouldn't want to risk that uncertainty.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
It's a civil penalty. Pay it and move forward. A day in court in NYC is just not worth it. But you should get your friend to pay you back for their stupidity.

mta.info | Rules of Conduct
mta.info | Rules of Conduct

fwiw the cops were being pricks as they hit you for fare evasion.

fyi

Disputing a violation by mail
As an alternative to an in-person hearing, written statements requesting an adjudication by mail may be sent to:

Transit Adjudication Bureau
PO Box 29133
Brooklyn, NY 11202-9133

Include your Notice of Violation and all documents and statements you wish to be considered on your behalf. Your statement should fully explain the basis upon which you claim the summons should not have been issued. Your statement, as well as the statement of any witness(es) you wish to provide, must be sworn to before a notary public.
All evidence you present will be reviewed by a Hearing Officer and you will receive a decision by mail.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
I am walking down with a friend of mine to the turn styles at the 59st station.
After I swipe my card to enter to the platform, my friend pushes me from behind
and he enters to the platform with me (without paying).
A short term acquaintance /fling did that to me ONCE but we weren't caught. I was friggen FURIOUS.
But it quickly moved to the top of reasons why I should break it off with this doofus.

To top it off, this kid came from a family rich as Croesus.

But it really strikes me as horrible that the person who paid the fare should be held accountable for somebody who snuck in behind. I mean, really, if a friend of mine held up a liquor store is it my responsibility? Would I have been responsible is a complete STRANGER pushed through the turnstile with me on my fare?

Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 AM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Disputing a violation by mail
As an alternative to an in-person hearing, written statements requesting an adjudication by mail may be sent to:

Transit Adjudication Bureau
PO Box 29133
Brooklyn, NY 11202-9133

Include your Notice of Violation and all documents and statements you wish to be considered on your behalf. Your statement should fully explain the basis upon which you claim the summons should not have been issued. Your statement, as well as the statement of any witness(es) you wish to provide, must be sworn to before a notary public.
All evidence you present will be reviewed by a Hearing Officer and you will receive a decision by mail.
If your ticket was for "failure to pay", and I have no idea if this is possible, but could you get something in the way of a printout, from the Transit Authority, listing your recent card activity? That would seem to be evidence enough to prove your case. You should give your idiot friend one opportunity to pony up your share of the fine.

The first link posted by Pruzhany reads
"Fare Evasion: $100 Fine
Individuals are not permitted to enter the New York City Transit subway system or buses without payment of the fare. This includes instances when your MetroCard is not functioning properly."

Now, if you can only get a transaction history report, if such a thing is available, you have your evidence and you can dispute it by mail.

GOOD LUCK.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post

Now, if you can only get a transaction history report, if such a thing is available, you have your evidence and you can dispute it by mail.

GOOD LUCK.
fyi...

"Each MetroCard stored value card is assigned a unique, permanent ten-digit serial number when it is manufactured. The value is stored magnetically on the card itself, while the card's transaction history is held centrally in the Automated Fare Collection (AFC) Database."

Hopefully the OP still has the card and the receipt for it.

fwiw NYC doesn't make anything easy. If the Metrocard acted like a EZpass, the OP could simply go online and list all the transactions.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:50 AM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
Quote:
fyi...

"Each MetroCard stored value card is assigned a unique, permanent ten-digit serial number when it is manufactured. The value is stored magnetically on the card itself, while the card's transaction history is held centrally in the Automated Fare Collection (AFC) Database."

fwiw NYC doesn't make anything easy. If the Metrocard acted like a EZpass, the OP could simply go online and list all the transactions.

I love this. Having possession of said card should be "prima facie" evidence of it being his. Perhaps he purchased it with a credit or debit card. If so, CASE CLOSED.

Thanks. This info is good to know.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:16 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
The issue here isn't that the OP paid or did not pay his fare. It is allowing the friend to enter the station that the fine is for in the eyes of the police. Its not a $2.50 fare for 2 people. You can't allow a friend/family member to be admitted with your swipe, both are held accountable.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:48 PM

279 posts, read 854,392 times
Quote:
fyi...

if you have one of those automatic refill easy pay metrocard, you can view all of your metrocard transactions online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: