Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times

Advertisements

I would take APV's "advice" (scare tactics) with a grain of salt. Anyone that asserts the the Upper East Side is unsafe is outright lying. Please take a good look at the news at how often someone (of ANY gender, race) is accosted in ANY way in the Upper East Side and you will note that it is RARE.

Furthermore...young single white females have NEVER been the target of much of anything, if they were...it would be PLASTERED all over the news and probably the nation....when was the last time you heard anything like that? In fact, there are PLENTY of young white females who travel to the inner city ghettos to teach via public transportation, and many stay late for the kids and leave to go home by themselves well into the evening...yet they are living their lives just fine. If there was an attack on a white female teacher YOU CAN BET YOUR LIFE it would be all over the news...but again...we don't hear about that EVER NEVER EVER....so let's try to be fair and reasonable here.

Normal precautions apply here...like just about every area of the city. Use common sense..try not to flash hundred dollar bills, don't wear 4 pounds of gaudy bling around your neck...and do your best not to hang around the housing projects at 3am with the homies. Otherwise..you will be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 AM

112 posts, read 436,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
the driver is right, 1st & 91st is where the pjs begin and the area gets transitional
Yes, I knew that, those housing facilites were on the east side of 1st Ave at 93rd. I survived my 4 block walk home at 2am. It was reassuring that the driver was concerned. However they did put up a huge luxury building right next to those facilities on the south side of 92nd Street and 1st, I wonder who is concerned about the "safety" of those paying big bucks to be in that building.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I would take APV's "advice" (scare tactics) with a grain of salt. Anyone that asserts the the Upper East Side is unsafe is outright lying. Please take a good look at the news at how often someone (of ANY gender, race) is accosted in ANY way in the Upper East Side and you will note that it is RARE.

where did I say it was unsafe?
learn to read for comprehension and don't use someone else's hackneyed interpretation to put words in my mouth!

Quote:
Furthermore...young single white females have NEVER been the target of much of anything, if they were...it would be PLASTERED all over the news and probably the nation....when was the last time you heard anything like that? In fact, there are PLENTY of young white females who travel to the inner city ghettos to teach via public transportation, and many stay late for the kids and leave to go home by themselves well into the evening...yet they are living their lives just fine. If there was an attack on a white female teacher YOU CAN BET YOUR LIFE it would be all over the news...but again...we don't hear about that EVER NEVER EVER....so let's try to be fair and reasonable here.
this is just simplistic and naive
Quote:
Normal precautions apply here...like just about every area of the city. Use common sense..try not to flash hundred dollar bills, don't wear 4 pounds of gaudy bling around your neck...and do your best not to hang around the housing projects at 3am with the homies. Otherwise..you will be just fine.
that's about what I said

Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sent View Post
Yes, I knew that, those housing facilites were on the east side of 1st Ave at 93rd. I survived my 4 block walk home at 2am. It was reassuring that the driver was concerned. However they did put up a huge luxury building right next to those facilities on the south side of 92nd Street and 1st, I wonder who is concerned about the "safety" of those paying big bucks to be in that building.
yes it amazes me too, and around the corner towards york are some new high priced condos also, I knew someone who lived over there but he moved once he grasped what the area was really like

Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I'm a lifelong New Yorker, a single female, and I'd have no problem living there. It's a matter of having 'city smarts' - as with ANYWHERE in New York City.

It's NOT BAD!!!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
Thanks for your 2 cents and reasonable response Viralmd.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:44 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Yeah the Upper East Side is a great place to live, and has been for what, 100 years now?. If I ever get enough cash to live there (doubtful though it may be), the UES would be very high on my list of places to move to.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:26 AM

47 posts, read 225,554 times
Yes, that is a nice area. Central Park is a short walk away. Many lovely buildings in the area.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:36 AM

37 posts, read 233,205 times
Don't worry about it.
IT IS SAFE!
I am a 27 year old female member a gym on 92 street.I usually walk to the train station on 86 street at 11:30 pm.I never felt unsafe, in fact i enjoy the walk it is a great neiborhood!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM

99 posts, read 730,017 times
great area.lots of restarants & the gym on 92 is great like mae12 said..late at night just keep your head up just like any other part of the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City