Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,216 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I have received a letter saying that I should come in for an interview with all necessary documentation. I currently live in a nice one bedroom apartment for $1400 a month. I am not sure how "TPT Homes In Harlem Phase 1" is affordable at $1,554 for one bedroom. Also, that neighborhood is not so safe is it? I am not sure if I want to be living there. What happens if I decline this interview, will this affect any future applications of mine?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
There are 3 buildings that you applied to, so it depends on what they offer you. One of which (2353 2nd ave) is in East Harlem. That building is right smack dab in the middle of rehab centers. Then you have the Taino towers, and Wagner which are the Wild Wild East. This is a bad location. The other two buildings 152, and 158, are in Central Harlem, on 122nd and 124th streets. Those two buildings are currently more desirable to live in. Simple science. Pick the central Harlem locations if offered. They're in good quiet locations with good amenities. I feel in many cases the apartments in Central Harlem are usually bigger. East Harlem has not arrived as of yet. Its slowly gentrifying, but its pretty weak, IMO.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,744 times
Default Phase II

I just got called in for phase II, 152 West 124th street and 70 east 127th street. Both walk ups and small units. Do you know what the neighborhoods are like? Anyone living there now with any info?

Old 09-26-2016, 06:18 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
YES Same question I have!!! I got an interview for GM management in the bronx. I ignored it (it was my first hearing from any of them) they then sent me a second letter and saying in a VERY STERN way since I missed the first interview this was my last chance. Okay. I googled all 6 of the rehabbed buildings and they were notorious slum buildings in pretty crappy areas for rents that were not much lower than market rent so I said no thanks.

I HOPE we don't get blacklisted in this process, but I highly doubt it.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:20 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
From now on though I am responding back with a thank you note. Although some reply back saying it's not an email that accepts incoming mail. SO I don't know. They are so inundated with people applying that I am sure they just throw your file into the trash if there is any kind of reason you might not want it.

I am totally predicting that in a year or 2 or 3 from now I will be kicking myself in the butt for rejecting these interviews when so many people don't hear back anything.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:24 PM
e_D

86 posts, read 81,782 times
Please keep up updated with the process and your experience!

Old 04-02-2017, 11:34 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
So I just got emailed about setting up an appointment about the last remaining $1554 1 bed apartment for Phase II, at 70 East 127th. They said my app was pulled in a random draw, my log was in the 7200's with no preferences. I am debating on whether to go through the process, I am on the fence! My income was well under the limit when I first put in for this but now my annual salary is only $125 under the max so I have doubts I am going to qualify to begin with after they do whatever calculations they do.

The minuses - even subtracting the $200 reduction in monthly commuting costs, the net rent is still $300 more than I am paying now, albeit for a studio (although it is a large one). Also it is a fourth floor walkup - I am in great shape and pretty much do this climb every day at work, but I am 55 and what if I get infirm. Also doesn't appear to have laundry facilities, and I am not sure a washer is allowed - never done a laundromat deal before.

But the pluses are also pretty compelling - a 20 min. walk from my office (my current commute averages an hour with express bus and subway), short walk to two express subway stations, a one bedroom, in Manhattan. I am going to walk by tomorrow but the block seems to have had a lot of building renovation going on and the adjoining blocks on that side of the tracks seem pretty good. And I could afford it still.

So I am on the fence, I am leaning towards going through the process to see what happens, but I need to decide in the next couple of days one way or another.

Last edited by popartist; 04-02-2017 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 06:15 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
$1500 for a 4th floor walk up is crazy!!! Don't do it . I live in one and it's hard on the knees. No washer allowed in my apartment which is hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: