Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
People who would make that move now are people pursuing professional careers here OR they are attending school here.

Working class people in large numbers no longer make such a move.

At the OP's age, if they were to come here they might considering applying to one of the universities here and coming as a student. That would give them time to acclimate, and after graduation they could look for work.

I would also say the better opportunities in NYC tend to require a masters degree.

An associates is nothing and even a bachelor's isn't that much.
Or a BA/BS from an IVY League or a top ranked college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 01:24 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Or a BA/BS from an IVY League or a top ranked college.
that just increases the odds of interviews. Getting a job or success is never certain

Old 03-04-2015, 01:46 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Save one month's worth of rent in nyc and just visit. Then, you can think about if it is really worth it to bust your butt and pay that much or more every single month to live and work in the city.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I know it's hard to find jobs almost everywhere, but I've heard that many people move from places in the south east to pursue career opportunities and growth in New York. I've heard of some even moving from bigger states like Texas. I am in my mid 20s, single and not planning to start a family anytime soon. I major in Computer Information Technology, only problem is my college degree is a 2 year associate degree, I currently can't pursue a 4 year bachelor's degree since I work 40-60 hours to pay my rent and bills, it was a struggle just to receive the associate degree with my busy schedule. I live in NC, I could probably find a job in my study field here, but I am not sure how much I can achieve with smaller companies that hires people with my degree.

nother thing is even though NC is very affordable especially for families, it's extremely boring. Sometimes I feel the years are passing me by without achieving anything or having fun, we don't have anything fun in here, the night life is limited to only 2 small streets in Raleigh. Anyway, I feel like with my situation being single and young there's more I can take advantage of both career wise and living. So I am wondering if the hype about opportunities in NY is true?
Can I trade places with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City