Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,337 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from London and want to move to New York. I like urban areas that are full of diversity and things to do.

Where would you say is the best place to live in New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 11:24 AM

678 posts, read 695,088 times
im moving to nyc as well and alot of people say washington heights is a good area to move to. Idk what your salary is but when i go i wont be making a trillion dollars a month so i will be looking for a cheap place and thats one of the places that has decent rent.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,337 times
thats in manhattan right? yea looking at some tour thing
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNR0L0N1ilg[/url] and it looks decent so far

Old 03-07-2015, 12:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,955,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamillah92 View Post
I'm originally from London and want to move to New York. I like urban areas that are full of diversity and things to do.

Little Britain.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:37 PM

725 posts, read 801,040 times
Quote:

Define diversity. You may like having a variety of Resturants around but not the hoards of thugs which diversity may bring.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:26 PM

824 posts, read 2,784,257 times
Quote:

Patrick Stewart picked Park Slope, Brooklyn.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 AM

43,359 posts, read 44,068,367 times
One's monthly rental budget will dictate where one can live meaning the best place to live in NYC according to one's individual monthly budget!

Old 03-08-2015, 07:12 AM

140 posts, read 265,789 times
Who ever told you Washington heights is a liar. It has gotten a lot better from the days when there were shootouts on the streets and people selling heroin and crack in the open, but it isn't a nice area. It's about 60% Dominican immigrant 20% orthodox Jewish (mostly in the Hudson heights enclave) and the rest is some blacks and some yuppies who cannot afford downtown and wanna stay in Manhattan. Technically it's manhattan but you're 30 mins on the train from anything cool.

What's your budget? Under $2000 won't get you an apartment anywhere that a young english professional wanting a safe NYC experience would like unless you want roommates. If you're down to share Williamsburg, the parts of Bushwick on the L train route (JMZ bushwick still is ghetto), also park slope, prospect heights and fort Greene/Clinton hill (I find these areas sterile but they are "trendy") also slightly cheaper than cool brooklyn is parts of upper Manhattan like yorkville which is quiet but safe and elegant and you might find a share for like $1200 and if you're lucky a studio for around $1900.

Astoria is a good option if you NEED you're own place cause it's a bit cheaper. It's a huge neighborhood split into different sections. You won't be able to afford the white (Italian and Greek) part but you might find something in the Colombian part closer to LIC.

Check demographics. If you want safe look up the area and see the % of non-Hispanic whites living there. The bigger that number is the safer the area is..Chinese areas are safe too but they are not particularly nice or clean areas.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:52 PM

15,497 posts, read 15,485,855 times
Quote:

That's not really answerable, especially when you provide so little information. What's your budget? What kind of "things to do"? What do you mean by "diversity" - are you talking about racial diversity, or a mix of business and residential, or a range of activities? By "urban," do you mean scruff and run-down, or expensive and elegant? Do you even have a job here yet? Because that would be a major factor, both in terms of geography and budget.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:03 PM

175 posts, read 133,935 times
DO NOT move to this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City