U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:47 AM

18 posts, read 33,340 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am coming to New York from India. Please suggest me good localities to stay. I have 8 years old daughter so a good school must be reachable.
I can pay rent 2000-2500$ per month .
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:25 AM

38,107 posts, read 38,472,741 times
Are you looking in NYC or NY State (which is quite big)? If NYC is your answer, you need to post this question in the NYC forum. If NY state is your reply you need to specify what part of NY state.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:22 AM

yes its NYC

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 AM

12,344 posts, read 24,303,433 times
I don't have first-hand knowledge, but I have heard that Forest Hills and Bayside in Queens have good schools. There is a website called Insideschools.org: Your independent guide to NYC public schools that has school ratings.

With your rent budget, you will not be able to afford most of Manhattan or the more gentrified places in Brooklyn. So I think Queens might be a good place to start looking.

You might also want to mention what area of the city you will be commuting to, as this can make a big difference when choosing a place to live in the outer boroughs.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 AM

993 posts, read 1,236,396 times
Does the 8-year-old require his/her own bedroom, or are you willing to have the child sleep in the Living Room (common area of your apartment)? The difference would be whether you'd end up seeking a 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom apartment which are priced differently. With the difference in rent, you might be able to live in a somewhat better neighborhood for schooling. In Queens, for example, see the school data in the neighborhoods of Astoria and Sunnyside. Those neighborhoods become more affordable if you seek a 1-Bedroom.

Sleeping a child in the living room, organizing everyone's clothing and belongings so all can function is a challenge. NYC has some furniture solutions that help with some of this.

It's a compromise and a sacrifice by the adults, for the sake of the child's education. These are typical choices of NYC parents who educate a child in the NYC public schools. The schools themselves reflect neighborhood economic stability. Some parents will sacrifice interior space for what they perceive are the better school neighborhoods. Others cannot stand the lack of family privacy of sleeping children in their living room, as the parents must retreat to their bedroom for much of the evening at home. It's very personal how each family decides, and no one 'right answer' to this.

If you don't mind the long commute time to Manhattan, I keep hearing good things on this site about Bayside and Midwood as neighborhoods that please families. I've never even walked those areas, so am just repeating here. Jackson Heights, which I've visited for events, is dynamic with many people from India and South Asia. Grocery choices would be impressive; however, it's densely populated with high-rise apartments and very little land devoted to parks and playgrounds. For JH schools, I have no idea!

In my borough of Brooklyn, you could be confident of public schools in Park Slope but you'd have to live very small to afford an apartment there, with its Manhattan type rents. A next-door neighborhood called Prospect Heights is well-integrated across many nationalities, and has young families along with older generations. However, I'm not confident to say anything, good or bad, about their public schools at all. As a retired teacher, I don't envy people who have to choose schools based on these letter grades, but if you read reviews on Inside Schools you might get a sense of what other parents say.

The proximity of Prospect Heights or Park Slope neighborhoods to Prospect Park/Brooklyn Museum/Brooklyn Public Library/Botanical Gardens is very much enjoyed by families in their afterschool hours together.

Greenpoint is another Brooklyn neighborhood gaining popularity with younger couples, but again I don't know what the story is on their public schools. It depends on a single subway line, the "G" which is somewhat limiting.

Coming from so far away, with a child to transition, you might seriously consider a smaller apartment than you imagined to widen your neighborhood choices for public schools with "A' and "B" ratings from Inside Schools. A smaller 1-BR apt opens up your neighborhood choices in Western Queens and Western Brooklyn. Or, if you don't have to commute into Manhattan much, or can withstand the long subway rides, then you're freer to look at some family-pleasing neighborhoods deeper into Queens or Brooklyn.

One reason the rents are so high in Western Queens and Western Brooklyn ("brownstone brooklyn"), obviously, is their ease for subway commuters into Manhattan jobs. There are other borough family neighborhoods not hugging the west where home and school life are manageable; for example, Kensington, Midwood, Bayside, Forest Hills, maybe Kew Gardens. The subway commutes are longer to Manhattan, though.

How many minutes (one-way) are you willing to sit on a train for commute to Manhattan? Also if you can name your Manhattan destination, by street intersection or general neighborhood, that's helpful to this conversation. People here know the subways inside-out and can advise you on that key variable.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 03-10-2015 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 12:31 PM

5,004 posts, read 7,556,425 times
If you want to consider the NYC suburbs, as well as the city itself, look into Edison NJ.

Its about 100,000 people, an hour's commute to Manhattan's Penn Station, has good schools, and has a good number of Indian and Indian-American residents, which might make the transition for your family a bit easier. According to Wikipedia the Indian population there is about 20%, and Edison, for what it's worth, also has two "sister" cities in India, Vadodara and Unchi Bassi. It's a very pleasant, safe, diverse, and family-oriented middle-income community where you should be able to find something in your price range, though you will likely need a car to get around out there.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:19 AM

My office will be in Lexington Ave, New York City. Few people said New Jersey will be good for stay.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 PM

749 posts, read 848,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If you want to consider the NYC suburbs, as well as the city itself, look into Edison NJ.

Its about 100,000 people, an hour's commute to Manhattan's Penn Station, has good schools, and has a good number of Indian and Indian-American residents, which might make the transition for your family a bit easier. According to Wikipedia the Indian population there is about 20%, and Edison, for what it's worth, also has two "sister" cities in India, Vadodara and Unchi Bassi. It's a very pleasant, safe, diverse, and family-oriented middle-income community where you should be able to find something in your price range, though you will likely need a car to get around out there.

Lots of racism near that town, and in New Jersey proper against Indians......and in Old Bridge, New Jersey, there have been about five home invasions by thugs......one recently got caught.....

Old 03-13-2015, 03:50 PM

749 posts, read 848,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
Lots of racism near that town, and in New Jersey proper against Indians......and in Old Bridge, New Jersey, there have been about five home invasions by thugs......one recently got caught.....
Queens, New York, has a many Indian families......

Old 03-13-2015, 04:49 PM

5,004 posts, read 7,556,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
I remember a group called Dotbusters that was racist against South Asians, but that was at least a decade or so ago IIRC and I haven't heard or read anything about them since. You have citations in the news or something that they're active again? I also seem to recall for some reason that this group was in Hoboken or Jersey City or somewhere closer to NYC than to Edison.

As to Old Bridge...so what? There was crime in a town several miles away? You can say that about anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: