Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,108,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Actually Jersey Street has gotten worse, much worse since the 1980's or even before. And don't get me started about much of Port Richmond especially around Richmond Avenue from about
I saw you started writing this comment in my post, but didn't finish. I'm guessing you mean "from about Post Avenue and further north".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Lamberts Path is a freaking disgrace. Bad enough they are over developing every single square inch of SI but does anyone build *ANYTHING* other than townhouses. No wonder people are getting fed up and moving, all the reasons you once lived on The Rock are vanishing. In another ten or so years Staten Island will largely look just like much of Brooklyn and Queens; high density housing with all problems that come with it.

Worse they are building this Lamberts project on wetlands. Hope these suckers take out flood insurance...

Empty lot in Staten Island's Graniteville section to be site of 106 townhouses | SILive.com
It's not even necessarily the townhouses that bother me, but rather the way the layout in which these things are built. You build these high-density cul-de-sacs, where you're packed tooth-by-jowl with your neighbors, but you're still not within (easy) walking distance of anything. You basically have all the disadvantages of density without any of the benefits. Of course, the same goes double for many parts of the South Shore.

To me, it shouldn't be too much to ask, that if you live in a townhouse, you should be a short walk from a little retail strip and a reasonably frequent bus route to get your kids to school, and unfortunately, that's not the case for much of Staten Island.

As for the wetlands, to be fair, the flooding risk isn't that high (I think it's like a Zone 4 or 5 on a flood map, with 1 being the worst). The surrounding area is roughly at the same elevation (including those Regal Walk condos across from Charlie Brown's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Colt View Post
Much to take in and consider. I value all your information. Since I'm planning to buy, I need to make a good, decent choice as to where I'm going to live. I won't be able to say later what a mistake I made and just simply pack up and relocate. I value peace, quiet and safety. Honestly the last thing I want is to be living in an area surrounded by hood-rats and classless, filthy individuals. I think that goes for most folks. I don't want to fear driving up or walking up to the home I'm paying a mortgage for. If the folks around the neighborhood are hardworking, clean, have some morals and show some class, I'm in. Obviously I will need to place my boots on the ground. Go see the areas in person during the day and night. During the weekends when the crumb-crunchers are not safely behind the walls of the educational system. As well as during the warm weather months to see what these neighborhoods will be like. Obviously I have lots of research to do besides look at pictures of homes.
Definitely. Good luck, my friend, and if you have any questions about any specific blocks, I'm from that area, so I'll be more than happy to answer them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:56 AM

31,750 posts, read 26,706,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I saw you started writing this comment in my post, but didn't finish. I'm guessing you mean "from about Post Avenue and further north".

It's not even necessarily the townhouses that bother me, but rather the way the layout in which these things are built. You build these high-density cul-de-sacs, where you're packed tooth-by-jowl with your neighbors, but you're still not within (easy) walking distance of anything. You basically have all the disadvantages of density without any of the benefits. Of course, the same goes double for many parts of the South Shore.

To me, it shouldn't be too much to ask, that if you live in a townhouse, you should be a short walk from a little retail strip and a reasonably frequent bus route to get your kids to school, and unfortunately, that's not the case for much of Staten Island.

As for the wetlands, to be fair, the flooding risk isn't that high (I think it's like a Zone 4 or 5 on a flood map, with 1 being the worst). The surrounding area is roughly at the same elevation (including those Regal Walk condos across from Charlie Brown's).

Yes, meant "from about Post Avenue and further north". Sorry for the bad editing.

Again on the townhouse thing it really drives me up the wall. Seems since the 1980's nothing else except for high end housing is built on SI but these god awful townhouses.

Look at what they did on Slosson Avenue and Victory Blvd across from P.S. 29. Where two nice old houses stood they tore them down to build four or five duplex "townhouses". They call the place "Moonlight Court".

Those living around the Mount Manresa property have every right to be worried. They know what is coming but are truly powerless to prevent yet another high density town house project from arriving in their backyards.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:34 AM

Now for a bit of trivia:

Graniteville, Bulls Head and the rest of that area was once part of the town of "Northfield" on Staten Island.

Like the other four towns; Castleton, Middletown, Westfield and Southfield, Northfield was dissolved and incorporated into the City of New York in the later 1800's.

This explains some of the street and place names seen today on The Rock such as "Northfield Savings Bank".

In fact many of the areas we know today as neighborhoods of New York City were once separate towns. These later either became annexed to a particular city (Brooklyn) and then later incorporated into New York City, or simply annexed to the City later on.

List of former municipalities in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Background: History, Geography, and Community - Staten Island, Richmond County, NY, Genealogy Resources

Now to get an idea of how totally different the North Shore of Staten Island was say from the early 1900's through WWII years you can look at cemetery/burial records.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ny...y19161919.html

From these we can see in areas now mainly minority on the North Shore once were heavily Irish, Italian, German, and Scandinavian.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:

Someone explains better than I could, and took pictures!
PORT RICHMOND TO WEST BRIGHTON | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Old 03-11-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Much to take in and consider. I value all your information. Since I'm planning to buy, I need to make a good, decent choice as to where I'm going to live. I won't be able to say later what a mistake I made and just simply pack up and relocate. I value peace, quiet and safety. Honestly the last thing I want is to be living in an area surrounded by hood-rats and classless, filthy individuals. I think that goes for most folks. I don't want to fear driving up or walking up to the home I'm paying a mortgage for. If the folks around the neighborhood are hardworking, clean, have some morals and show some class, I'm in. Obviously I will need to place my boots on the ground. Go see the areas in person during the day and night. During the weekends when the crumb-crunchers are not safely behind the walls of the educational system. As well as during the warm weather months to see what these neighborhoods will be like. Obviously I have lots of research to do besides look at pictures of homes.
Not exactly an in-depth look but at least you'll know the players:

Staten Island neighborhoods: What you need to know about all 63 communities (with map) | SILive.com

Old 03-11-2015, 06:20 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,213,143 times
Likely another drug filled neighborhood in Staten Island.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:21 AM

6 posts, read 8,816 times
Quote:

Definitely. Good luck, my friend, and if you have any questions about any specific blocks, I'm from that area, so I'll be more than happy to answer them.

So much good information. Thank you.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:01 PM

749 posts, read 918,522 times
Quote:
Yes I heard Bullshead is nice too. Looks like I'll have to do lots more reasearch.
The area near the Staten Island Mall, is called Mid-Island, and has many very, very nice condos for rent......

Stay away from most of the North Shore areas.....

Old 03-13-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I think your over reacting about how bad that neighborhood is. And to point out anything about a drug dealer in the same breath as amping up the south shore is comical as most of the problem is centered around south shore areas. Staten Island is pretty simple, north shore, lower income, higher density, more urban, mid island, working class, tree lines blocks, south shore, bigger homes, business owner types, higher paying managment positions. Obviously those are vast generalizations but they hold pretty true, naturally you have pockets of affluent homes on the north shore, and pockets of less than desirable areas on the south shore. Granitville in my opinion falls into that mid island working class type.
Where in the South Shore have you seen pockets of ''less than desirable areas." Show me please......If you are talking about Midland Beach.......that is considered East Shore.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
Latin? Huh we are talking about two different places lol. Nowhere in the island besides the projects has any significant non white populations below the highway. The area around CSI has all Jews, actually a decent population of Hasidic jews. Where are these latins you speak of? Peppered around the island there are some Nuyoricans but nowhere on the south or mid shore is "diverse" islanders don't stand for that. That's the whole reason SI took off because the italians and the irish and the Jews were escaping diversity in their neighborhoods. Graniteville is a small area south of Mariners harbor that is mostly blacks and low class white people.

On the other side of the expwy Bulls head is lower class whites lots of Italians and Jews
Willowbrook is all Jews

New springville is getting more Hasidic by the day
There are some Hassidic families, with some very- beautiful large homes by Drumgoole Road East, near Pleasant Plains, and some one here sometime ago pointed out to me, that most of them are poor, so how did they got there? Those homes are valued very close to a million ........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City