Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:42 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,157,284 times

Advertisements

what do sports teams have to do with any of this? you actually had a good post until then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 05:40 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,795,323 times
gentrification has nothing to do with race

its people with higher income pushing out people with lower income

in many cases it just happens to be white people with the higher income

Old 01-13-2008, 10:20 PM

242 posts, read 924,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
if a group of hispanics and blacks displaced lower income hispanics and blacks will that be called gentrification? will people be making posts about how "bad" that is?

In the bronx, it seems the NHs are changing but it doesn't look like there are a lot of people moving in from outside the borough. Unlike queens and bk etc where people are moving all the time. How many people in the bronx are from kansas and iowa etc?

the rep the borough has is good enough to keep the "yuppies" away
The answer is location, location, location.
Who really wants to commute from the BX to midtown or the financial district? Its easier and more comfortable to do it from the burbs by metro north or LIRR.

In addition outside of a select group of neighborhoods the quality of housing, schools, food and shopping leaves much to be desired.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,981,056 times
I for one would prefer to commute from Mott Haven to Midtown versus live out in the suburbs and commute via LIRR. It is NOT easier to commute via LIRR..who told you that? Most people do not live close enough to a train to even walk there..so they either drive to the train AND pay parking fees, or have someone drive them to the train. HOw is that easier than walking to the train 4 blocks away?

Furthermore, the trains run on a specific schedule, which means...your life is determined by the train schedule. If you stay late for work...you better check that schedule accordingly.....same goes for after work events, or coming into the city for any reason...you are at the mercy of that schedule....and doesn;t service just STOP after about 1am? Guess you better hightail it from whereever you are becuase you are gonna be sleeping in grand central. Now how is that easier than 24 hour train service?

And lets not forget...the LIRR goes down..what other option do you have? Exactly...if a train line goes down..or the ENTIRE system goes down..you can still find your way into work either by cabs, buses, or even bike. Try that in the burbs...yeah the LIRR and MetroNorth are so much easier...lol....I didn't even get into the costs either...

Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,984,559 times
But why is it so important to commute to Manhattan ( Midtown/downtown)?

I see so many people here list that as an important factor but what does Manhattan offer that I cant get in the Bronx?

I got everything I need right here.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 PM

And the only thing SAVING NYC is the revitalization that is occuring...anyone who believes NYC is worse now than it was 20 or 30 years ago or believes cops are targeting innocent civilians FOR ANY REASON is delusional, never lived in the city, and is not worth responding to. Let's just ignore this thread.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM

SuperMario...surely you are kidding right? Are you being sarcastic?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:34 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,984,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
SuperMario...surely you are kidding right? Are you being sarcastic?
No im serious. Why would I go downtown, where people push you, traffic is insane, and the mere overcrowdeness on the sidewalk is enough to make me sick. And for what?

The only time I go downtown is to go to the movie theaters. The ones in the Bronx tend to be of higher crime, but 42nd street isn't much better so I would have to rethink that.

But what does it have? Besides everything being expensive and no room to walk. Please, I'll die happy if I never have to step foot in the city again.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Supermarios....this is ridiculous assertion and I cannot believe that you would make such a blatantly silly and ludicrous statement...give it some thought for a minute. I cannton believe I have to answer this question..... Why would SO MANY PEOPLE want to know about the commute to midtown? Because thats where ALL the high paying/professional/white collar jobs are for starters. Where exactly are you going to work in the Bronx and earn $100,000 a year in just about every white collar profession? And for that matter...what jobs are there in the Bronx that would meet this need...I would sure like to know!

Besides the obvious Broadway shows, picturesque parks, plazas, upscale shopping, historic districts, immacuately maintained neighborhoods/communities/buildings, 5 star dining, 24/7 nightlife,....geez I dont want to keep typing. Supermario...don't be such a SuperDummy.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM

473 posts, read 1,666,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
But why is it so important to commute to Manhattan ( Midtown/downtown)?

I see so many people here list that as an important factor but what does Manhattan offer that I cant get in the Bronx?
jobs jobs jobs. people getting there in the a.m rush are hardly going for movies lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City