U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2008, 05:21 PM
 
4 posts, read 15,870 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I love New York, I was born here raised here and want to continue to raise my own family here but that is becoming an impossible feat nowadays. Crime is down 14 percent in NYC tops every newsline, as the NYPD roam inner-city neighborhoods killing innocent people they have replace the gangs in the city. New York isn't safer as a whole Manhattan is. Long ago are the days of Pimps, prostitutes and johns walking side by side with Drug Dealers, users and abusers strolling Times Square, where the XXX shops and Strip clubs are now replaced by Starbucks and Bistros that serve Foriegn food that you can't pronounce let alone afford. As Trump buys up NYC and his apprentices and wannabes do the same destroying relics of NYC like Brownstown, European and colonial era tenements for oblique glass and dry wall condos which they build in poor neighborhoods were we can't afford them and they bring in neighbors who cant ajust to the new neighborhood so the they ajust it to suit themselves.
What do I mean?

For an example Williamsburg Brooklyn is a perfect example. The once working class area which was a blend of Italian Americans, Irish Americans as well as African Americans and Latinos,with a bueatiful mix of Brownstones and tenements have become and area of large malls with useless stores and ugly oblique almost abstract 'post modern condos. Developers have been eyeing
this area for years because it's the most convient outerboro neighborhoods to the finanical district. Now Yuppies who cant find space in "Millionaires Manhattan" are now subjected to move to the outerboros and ruining middle class and low income areas with their coffee shops, Gristedes, and artsy districts, which means those Anthony Pizzas and Ortiz Deli & Grocery where you played you numbers both get replaced by two starbucks less than a bock away from each other.

Look no one wants NYC to go back to circa 1977 with the South Bronx riots but if whites who left New York to rot in the 70's and 80's for greener pastures in New Jersey want to move back to the city we all have to work together so everyone cant get their slice of theApple.
It's no lie it's getting roughout there. The economy sucks. Mary and Bill in Central NJ can't afford to drive their SUVs into NYC and back everyday now they want to move to NYC to be closer to work but if Safe "Millionaires Manhattan" is full where to they go?
Next door to me in Harlem or the Bronx or Brooklyn where they change my neighborhood and tell me that i can't afford to live here anymore well i did before you came.
New Yorks culture is diminishing as more Native New Yorkers are forced farther out the Metro, that NY accent and attitude gets lost and when that happens we lost our charm but most , our pride, why do you think our sports teams suck, because our city sucks. NYC is become more of a Transient state, kind of how no one in Florida's main cities speak with a southern accent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2008, 05:59 PM
 
Location: NYC
278 posts, read 1,139,772 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkMinute10550 View Post
I love New York, I was born here raised here and want to continue to raise my own family here but that is becoming an impossible feat nowadays. Crime is down 14 percent in NYC tops every newsline, as the NYPD roam inner-city neighborhoods killing innocent people they have replace the gangs in the city. New York isn't safer as a whole Manhattan is. Long ago are the days of Pimps, prostitutes and johns walking side by side with Drug Dealers, users and abusers strolling Times Square, where the XXX shops and Strip clubs are now replaced by Starbucks and Bistros that serve Foriegn food that you can't pronounce let alone afford. As Trump buys up NYC and his apprentices and wannabes do the same destroying relics of NYC like Brownstown, European and colonial era tenements for oblique glass and dry wall condos which they build in poor neighborhoods were we can't afford them and they bring in neighbors who cant ajust to the new neighborhood so the they ajust it to suit themselves.
What do I mean?

For an example Williamsburg Brooklyn is a perfect example. The once working class area which was a blend of Italian Americans, Irish Americans as well as African Americans and Latinos,with a bueatiful mix of Brownstones and tenements have become and area of large malls with useless stores and ugly oblique almost abstract 'post modern condos. Developers have been eyeing
this area for years because it's the most convient outerboro neighborhoods to the finanical district. Now Yuppies who cant find space in "Millionaires Manhattan" are now subjected to move to the outerboros and ruining middle class and low income areas with their coffee shops, Gristedes, and artsy districts, which means those Anthony Pizzas and Ortiz Deli & Grocery where you played you numbers both get replaced by two starbucks less than a bock away from each other.

Look no one wants NYC to go back to circa 1977 with the South Bronx riots but if whites who left New York to rot in the 70's and 80's for greener pastures in New Jersey want to move back to the city we all have to work together so everyone cant get their slice of theApple.
It's no lie it's getting roughout there. The economy sucks. Mary and Bill in Central NJ can't afford to drive their SUVs into NYC and back everyday now they want to move to NYC to be closer to work but if Safe "Millionaires Manhattan" is full where to they go?
Next door to me in Harlem or the Bronx or Brooklyn where they change my neighborhood and tell me that i can't afford to live here anymore well i did before you came.
New Yorks culture is diminishing as more Native New Yorkers are forced farther out the Metro, that NY accent and attitude gets lost and when that happens we lost our charm but most , our pride, why do you think our sports teams suck, because our city sucks. NYC is become more of a Transient state, kind of how no one in Florida's main cities speak with a southern accent.
Genterfication in my eyes is what's going to turn citys around into even better citys. It can only make citys better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 PM
 
Location: bronx - north
473 posts, read 1,598,568 times
Reputation: 110
when people think gentrification, they only think of white kids and girls wearing abercrombie and fitch with pink flip flops, taking over a neighborhood which formerly used to be predominantly hispanic,black etc - essentially moving into a NH which used to be anything but white.

how come this isn't happening in the bronx? since that's the "new craze" even though this is not new!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 PM
 
Location: NYC
278 posts, read 1,139,772 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
when people think gentrification, they only think of white kids and girls wearing abercrombie and fitch with pink flip flops, taking over a neighborhood which formerly used to be predominantly hispanic,black etc - essentially moving into a NH which used to be anything but white.

how come this isn't happening in the bronx? since that's the "new craze" even though this is not new!
Is this a bad thing?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 PM
DAS
 
2,532 posts, read 6,434,900 times
Reputation: 1104
Quote:
how come this isn't happening in the bronx? since that's the "new craze" even though this is not new!
Mostly because the areas of Manhattan (East Harlem, West Harlem) close to the bridges that connect Manhattan to the south Bronx are not gentrified. Those areas are still considered "ghetto" for the most part. If those areas gentrify then possibly you will see a spill over into the Bronx. The reason that these areas are slow to gentrify is the projects are near every bridge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 15,747,088 times
Reputation: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
.

how come this isn't happening in the bronx? since that's the "new craze" even though this is not new!
Yeah its the PJs. I highly doubt gentrification will ever be able to creep into Spanish Harlem because of all of the projects which they have there.

However the western part of Harlem and to the north of that, Washington Heights and Inwood are quite ripe for gentrification in my mind. There are fewer housing projects in those areas and as a result they it will be substantially easier to fix up those neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 PM
DAS
 
2,532 posts, read 6,434,900 times
Reputation: 1104
Quote:
However the western part of Harlem and to the north of that, Washington Heights and Inwood are quite ripe for gentrification in my mind.
Since he is refering to the gentrification of the south Bronx and why that's not happening so quickly, I'll just stick with the western Harlem part of your sentence. The western Harlem sections close to the bridges that connect to the south Bronx also have projects and are rougher neighborhoods. There are projects near Lenox and 145th some look like tenement buildings but are part of NYCHA. There are projects low rise ones on Adam Clayton Powell Blvd/7th Ave at McCombs Dam Bridge on W 155th St in Manhattan and Highrise ones on the Frederick Douglas Blvd/8th Ave on the uptown side. All of these projects and other lower income housing along the Harlem River east and west sides of Harlem.

More to the West there are luxury condos that are not selling because of the general area and the proximity to the projects and other subsidized low income housing. These condos were built on vacant land.

The other areas more west haven't gentrified more because they were already co-ops. Most gentrification has to do more with brownstones, not so much with apts. In recent years more and more apt buildings have turned co-op with tenants remaining in their buildings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 3,462,803 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
when people think gentrification, they only think of white kids and girls wearing abercrombie and fitch with pink flip flops, taking over a neighborhood which formerly used to be predominantly hispanic,black etc - essentially moving into a NH which used to be anything but white.

how come this isn't happening in the bronx? since that's the "new craze" even though this is not new!
because the people who would consider the bronx livable are not the people who would be gentrifying the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Pawleys Island, SC
1,696 posts, read 8,492,774 times
Reputation: 721
Quote:
as the NYPD roam inner-city neighborhoods killing innocent people they have replace the gangs in the city.
That's quite a statement to make. How many "innocent" people can you name? And I guess it is easy to overlook the 101 NYPD officers who have died in the past 20 years to make this city a safer place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 PM
 
Location: bronx - north
473 posts, read 1,598,568 times
Reputation: 110
if a group of hispanics and blacks displaced lower income hispanics and blacks will that be called gentrification? will people be making posts about how "bad" that is?

In the bronx, it seems the NHs are changing but it doesn't look like there are a lot of people moving in from outside the borough. Unlike queens and bk etc where people are moving all the time. How many people in the bronx are from kansas and iowa etc?

the rep the borough has is good enough to keep the "yuppies" away
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top