Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 09:55 PM

17 posts, read 29,592 times

Advertisements

Moving to new york - is it worth keeping a car parked on the street, or do you have to do the moving the car during street sweeping everywhere, even in harlem? How can you get around this problem if you are away at work during the day? Is it safe to leave a car parked on the street in central / west harlem?

Also, is the area west of Broadway in hamilton heights better or worse (safety wise) than the area to the east of Broadway?

thanks for your input. trying to decide where to buy and whether to sell my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 PM

503 posts, read 898,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslizard View Post
Moving to new york - is it worth keeping a car parked on the street, or do you have to do the moving the car during street sweeping everywhere, even in harlem? How can you get around this problem if you are away at work during the day? Is it safe to leave a car parked on the street in central / west harlem?

Also, is the area west of Broadway in hamilton heights better or worse (safety wise) than the area to the east of Broadway?

thanks for your input. trying to decide where to buy and whether to sell my car.
The area west of Broadway is by far much safe/cleaner than East of Broadway. In terms of parking, good luck, it all depends on alt side park days. Wednesdays/sat&sun you're smooth sailing but mon/thu, tue/fri it's a problem and a mission to find parking. Where do you work?

Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
West of Broadway also tends to have fewer quality of life issues, such as loud music, etc. than areas to the east. You can move the car the night before to a different zone, but have to learn when to move to get a spot before they are taken, and when to move back to your other zone. In some areas of Manhattan, the doormen or porters move vehicles for residents, but that practice is not common in Hamilton Heights.

Check BestParking: NYC Parking Map | Daily & Monthly Discounts to compare rates on garages, since you can sometimes find a monthly garage that is less expensive than a potential ticket, much less the body damage to a newer vehicle. Parking on the streets will tend to age a vehicle much faster in the city from parking "bumps," scratches, vandals, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
There really is a reason why 3/4 of the households in Manhattan do not have even one vehicle.

Stop thinking like some rube from Oshkosh, and get rid of the car -- either that, or move to another borough.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 AM

17 posts, read 29,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post

Stop thinking like some rube from Oshkosh, and get rid of the car -- either that, or move to another borough.
That is exactly what i wanted to hear. I told my significant other that we should sell all the cars, but i needed input from someone who really knows to help convince him. Thanks!

Thank you all

Old 03-14-2015, 03:34 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
I'm in Hamilton Heights and have a car and it's not too bad, but it depends on your schedule. I have parking at work, so if I work a normal 8-4 day tour or whatever, then it's not an issue. If I'm working an evening or overnight though, it is. The street cleaning on my block isn't until 11am, so if I'm off, but need to move my car, I can still sleep in.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
In parts of Harlem you get to park your car absolutely free...ONCE.

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-14-2015 at 06:21 AM..

Old 03-14-2015, 11:40 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
I'd sell that car if I were you.

Cheap Parking & Tips on Driving in New York City

Old 03-14-2015, 11:54 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
West of Broadway also tends to have fewer quality of life issues, such as loud music, etc. than areas to the east. You can move the car the night before to a different zone, but have to learn when to move to get a spot before they are taken, and when to move back to your other zone. In some areas of Manhattan, the doormen or porters move vehicles for residents, but that practice is not common in Hamilton Heights.
True in Hudson Heights but not so much south. I heard from friends who lived a bit north and west of Broadway that there are a lot of break-ins around the mid-140s.

Doormen are not quite nonexistent in Hamilton Heights but they are rare.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:51 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslizard View Post

You will need to move your car for street cleaning. Alternate side of the street parking! This means if you don't get a good spot (on the side you need to be on) car must be moved before street cleaning time. If you're home during the weekday, then this may be doable for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City