Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The Bronx got at least another 20 years before it even begins to resemble the gentrified parts of Brooklyn....if that even happens. The eastern part of the Concourse from 161st north to Fordham Road, eastern boundary Webster Avenue IMO is a lost cause. Too much rent stabilized, Section 8 and NYCHA (rehabs). You walk a block east of the Concourse and you're in another world.
Agreed. In fact once you live the immediate Yankee Stadium and court area, the Concourse buildings themselves become very run down and full of rent stabilized and Section 8 tenants. It would take a fantastic amount of money and a lot of time to get all that out and boy would there be a lot of opposition. There may not be enough well off people interested in living in NYC to gentrify that area, plus it is too FAR away from NYC's job centers.

Gentrified parts of Brooklyn are often a stop or a few stops away from job centers in Manhattan. The Bronx is a lot further from even Midtown.

And in case you say you already know all this, I am posting this for the benefit of people on this thread who may not know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Agreed. In fact once you live the immediate Yankee Stadium and court area, the Concourse buildings themselves become very run down and full of rent stabilized and Section 8 tenants. It would take a fantastic amount of money and a lot of time to get all that out and boy would there be a lot of opposition. There may not be enough well off people interested in living in NYC to gentrify that area, plus it is too FAR away from NYC's job centers.

Gentrified parts of Brooklyn are often a stop or a few stops away from job centers in Manhattan. The Bronx is a lot further from even Midtown.

And in case you say you already know all this, I am posting this for the benefit of people on this thread who may not know this.
right.. it's so horrible there in the bronx.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8297...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8244...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8270...7i13312!8i6656

you have no clue.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
btw, Asians in NYC have the highest median income of all races in NYC and there are plenty of well to do middle/upper middle class hispanics growing in number in the boroughs.
I think you have a strange myopic view of the realities of the city. Must be all that cyanide you're inhaling in Brooklyn.
I never said that there weren't well off Asian and Hispanics or that I don't know any.

Yet it does not change the fact that the work in hospitality (restaurants, bars, hotels, etc) is disproportionately done by RECENT HISPANIC immigrants, many of who have not yet obtained legal status.

This doesn't even mean that most US born Hispanics do these jobs, it means there's an endless supply of new immigrants to come to NYC to take crappy low level jobs. Not just Hispanics the same can be said of Asian immigrants who don't have legal status or degrees.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Many Asians in NYC are actually living in poverty. The poverty rate for Asians in NYC is 29%, as of 2012. There are recent studies attesting to that.

Poverty Rate in New York City at 45.6 % with Asian-Americans Leading the Way! | Tony's Thoughts
Correct. Many recent arrivals are not only poor but have poor language skills. Meaning they can't get the best jobs. So they have to get low wage jobs.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Correct. Many recent arrivals are not only poor but have poor language skills. Meaning they can't get the best jobs. So they have to get low wage jobs.
actually no, asians have the highest median salaries in the nation.

Real Median Household Incomes for all Racial Groups Remain Well Below Their 2007 Levels | Economic Policy Institute

if you read my previous post, and link, you'll see that recent asian immigrants below poverty line fall within transitory poverty and rise above in avg 3 years.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
That's because they're immigrants. Those first waves of Chinese that came in the 1970s for example are the ones now buying out in NE Queens/Bensonhurst or even out of the city all together. Places like Sunset Park, Flushing, Mott St etc are all first generation. The kids and grandkids want the house with the yard. The Dominicans, Indians, Mexicans are all just beginning to get there (wait 20 years). The Caribbeans have SE Queens/NE Bronx as their haven. The Africans will be right behind. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Yes many of the kids and grandkids of recent immigrants will move up socioeconomically and have better places, whether they buy a co-op or move out to where they can get a house and a yard.

All that means is that there is still an endless supply of new arrivals to take the crappy, low paid jobs. This is always been a big part of what has kept NYC afloat.

A lot of the construction work for the subway system, bridges ,and roads in the 1800s and early 20th century was likely done by recent arrivals from Europe. Ditto for building the actual buildings.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Yes many of the kids and grandkids of recent immigrants will move up socioeconomically and have better places, whether they buy a co-op or move out to where they can get a house and a yard.

All that means is that there is still an endless supply of new arrivals to take the crappy, low paid jobs. This is always been a big part of what has kept NYC afloat.

A lot of the construction work for the subway system, bridges ,and roads in the 1800s and early 20th century was likely done by recent arrivals from Europe. Ditto for building the actual buildings.
yes, but there is a difference. the thing is, asians don't enter unionized labor to self-protect low education jobs. that is the distinction, many asians who fall under poverty line become entrepreneurs and/or leave their 3 year sabbatical flipping woks and don't fall into the communist trap.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
yes, but there is a difference. the thing is, asians don't enter unionized labor to self-protect low education jobs. that is the distinction, many asians who fall under poverty line become entrepreneurs and/or leave their 3 year sabbatical flipping woks and don't fall into the communist trap.
And many Asians don't become entrepreneurs. Many of them work for other Asians or other people and don't get paid that well.

And it's not true that Asians don't enter unionized labor. I've met Asians in construction and in social services who were union. It may not be the majority of Asians but it certainly happens. I've known Asians in entertainment industry unions as well.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
And many Asians don't become entrepreneurs. Many of them work for other Asians or other people and don't get paid that well.

And it's not true that Asians don't enter unionized labor. I've met Asians in construction and in social services who were union. It may not be the majority of Asians but it certainly happens. I've known Asians in entertainment industry unions as well.
Not in the USA. you absolutely have no clue. how does a race lead the entire entire fabric of American culture in median income if not entrepreneurs. that is the alpha that gets anyone ahead of 9-5.

yes, one in 100 asians become welders.. congratulations for meeting one.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Control, don't waste your time with writerdude. Know it all who really doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City