Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It's not happening at all. Port Morris is not Mott Haven. The Concourse Is sorrounded by homeless shelters and low income housing. They're not going to get rid of these. How could they when the Bronx is where all the people priced out of Manhattan and Brooklyn go to. As a matter of fact, they're creating more affordable units in the Bronx not less. Even if by some miracle some of Port morris investments move into bordering Mott Haven, the bazillion housing projects in Mott Haven, Melrose, and Morissania will still be there and will still house all the dregs of society.
During WW2 the Germans liquidated the ghettos. Chicago blew up it's housing projects and dumped those ghetto people in poor suburbs and small towns (new ghettos were created). Not saying this will happen, but it certainly could happen under the right circumstances.

Just the fact that they are doing slum clearance all over Manhattan, Western Brooklyn, and Western Queens is giving you a direction of where things are going.

Statistically many African Americans and Puerto Ricans are being pushed out of the region and moving to the South.

Midtown Manhattan, Hells Kitchen, Greenwich Village, and where Central Park is all had large black populations. They aren't there any more!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 06:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
There's some interesting development going on in a few spots that points to it, but it's way too early to call it gentrification just yet. Gotta wait and see...

Very interesting about the Bronx. I guess it has to happen out there too. Bronxguyanese and SuperMario, you definitely don't see it happening on a Fort Greene or even Bed Stuy level, do you?
No. I can say that Mott Haven/Port Morris might have a Bedstuy level like gentrification especially since the area has historic districts with town houses and Brownstones, and remember Bedstuy is still a rough area, still plenty of high crime, poor schools and riff raf that gentrification has failed to eliminate. Mott Haven/Port Morris Gentrification will be very similar to that of Bedstuy. In matter of fact Bedstuy gentrification might be slowing due to prices can not increase in the area.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2138662

As for Fort Greene? Mott Haven will never see the type of gentrification that Fort Greene has. First off Fort Greene gentrification is mainly residential and not commercial/industrial besides restaurants/bars. As well as major demographic shift and changes from mostly black to a good proportion of white. Mott Haven is still mostly Hispanic and Black. The only demographic shift has been the decline of the areas Puerto Rican population being replaced by mostly Mexican and Dominicans. A few years ago my block was mostly Puerto Rican but is now mostly Dominican and to a lesser degree Mexican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Wait, are we really getting excited about hipsters in Port Morris? They've been there for ever. None of this is new. The bronx is status quo. No gentrification to speak of. I mean seriously, we're talking about Port Morris, a industrial neighborhood with a lot of empty lofts and warehouses and the lower Concourse, where the courthouse is. None of this is new.
I agree here. Their is nothing to get excited about Hipsters in Port Morris. They do some weird street art along the Major Deegan Expressway columns that these tards instamgram on their iphones. Lower Court House does have and always had professional folks especially of color for years, and in fact you are right none of this is new. NOthing to get exceited about when your rents go up or pay more for property tax when rumor has it that more and more of the gentry is moving into the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think it will happen 20 years ago. I don't expect it to happen significantly in the next two or three years.

Those corporate investments are for long term planning. I don't think anyone thinks the South Bronx will be Williamsburg or LIC.
The big problem for Lower Concourse, Mott Haven, Melrose and Port Morris is that its close to Manhattan, this is all a fact and no denying that which fuels some of its attraction by outsiders. First off all of Harlem, East Harlem and even Washington Heights east of Broadway needs to fully gentrify so that more spillover can infiltrate the lower Bronx. So far the lower Bronx has been receiving plenty of spill over from Harlem in recent years. Their is no denying that the lower Bronx is gentrifying but it has not gentrified, and this process may take decades, for example the East Village began to gentrify during the 1960s and fully changed during the 90s, a mere 30 year process. Another thing is that the back to the city movement is not permenant but just a trend and a sign of the times, things changes and trends change. We don't know how long the back to the city movement will last. You never know suburban educated whites would probably prefer rural areas vs urban areas in the next decades or so. Again I'm just saying. Also their is a growing movement to make suburbs sustainable, which can halt urban gentrification. The changes in Mott Haven, Port Morris, Yankee Stadium area are welcoming but there is still a long way to go. Like I said before the South Bronx is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle. Here is a video of the 2nd gentrification conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mRHTsCf0Lc

Old 03-15-2015, 06:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

The big problem for Lower Concourse, Mott Haven, Melrose and Port Morris is that its close to Manhattan, this is all a fact and no denying that which fuels some of its attraction by outsiders. First off all of Harlem, East Harlem and even Washington Heights east of Broadway needs to fully gentrify so that more spillover can infiltrate the lower Bronx. So far the lower Bronx has been receiving plenty of spill over from Harlem in recent years. Their is no denying that the lower Bronx is gentrifying but it has not gentrified, and this process may take decades, for example the East Village began to gentrify during the 1960s and fully changed during the 90s, a mere 30 year process. Another thing is that the back to the city movement is not permenant but just a trend and a sign of the times, things changes and trends change. We don't know how long the back to the city movement will last. You never know suburban educated whites would probably prefer rural areas vs urban areas in the next decades or so. Again I'm just saying. Also their is a growing movement to make suburbs sustainable, which can halt urban gentrification. The changes in Mott Haven, Port Morris, Yankee Stadium area are welcoming but there is still a long way to go. Like I said before the South Bronx is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle. Here is a video of the 2nd gentrification conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mRHTsCf0Lc
Even suburbanization did not stop NYC gentrification. What people don't like to discuss is that Midtown and even much of downtown where ghettoes. In the early 20th century and post WW2 the corporate sector expanded and continued to consume real estate in Midtown and Downtown, tearing down tenement housing. The Upper East Side was the ghetto even in the 40s (partially because who wanted to live near the busted up and noisy 2nd and 3rd Avenue els).

So if suburbanization could not stop the expansion of the Midtown and Downtown business district even during the era of white flight, what makes you think it could now?

Suburban whites are not the only educated people in the world who move to NYC and purchase or rent here. There's wealthy Asians, wealthy Europeans, and even wealthy Latin Americans and Africans. NYC is the world's financial capital.

When NYC rose to prominence as the nation's financial capital, and when the corporations went national (as opposed to be local businesses) the corporate sector grew powerful enough to gentrify big parts of Manhattan. That was never undone (Moses and others in NYC deindustrialized NYC to deliberately get rid of much of the working class). Globalization further concentrated certain types of jobs in NYC and further empowered NYC's corporate class.

If suburban whites come here in lower numbers, there are European whites, Asians, wealthy Latin Americans, Indians (the highly educated and affluent among them) to replace them.

But a certain number of suburban whites have ALWAYS moved to NYC to make it here (if you can make it here you can make it anywhere). This slogan has been around for decades, and you'll always get some suburban and rural whites coming here. For decades whites have moved here to make it in Broadway, Wall Street, publishing, academia, design, fashion, and now tech, film, and tv. It won't change.

Your argument is standard leftist denial. If only this downtown could stop NYC from being an expensive city and the poor from being constantly pushed further and further from desirable areas. But nothing as halted gentrification in over 100 years.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:09 PM

931 posts, read 801,547 times
I think we all predicted the Bronx would eventually gentrify to some extent or another. The gentrification seed has been planted. Gentrification will set its roots in the south Bronx because its closer to Manhattan and then slowly move its way up north. It's just a matter of time people. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. It will be a huge boost to the Bronx.

With all the beautiful art deco buildings along the Grand Concourse, I predict that the whole GC will gentrify eventually. It has to.

The writing is on the wall. You either have to embrace gentrification in the Bronx or get pushed aside because as we all know, money talks and investors need to keep their money moving and invest in the next big thing. Nothing that's been going on in the Bronx suggest that the borough is on the decline or depressed. Bronx real estate is dirt cheap compared to the other boroughs. Which means a ton of upside if you buy now. Savvy investors make money in a down market and recognize opportunity when others see blight. Mark my words, the Bronx is on deck to gentrify.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
There are also fears growing in Kingsbridge section of the Bronx because of the armory being converted into the worlds largest indoor all year round skating ring. Some people welcome the idea while many others do not with the fear of looming high rents. Also note that Kingsbridge is not part of the South Bronx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP5mQR1deWY

Old 03-16-2015, 05:48 AM

931 posts, read 801,547 times
Quote:
There are also fears growing in Kingsbridge section of the Bronx because of the armory being converted into the worlds largest indoor all year round skating ring. Some people welcome the idea while many others do not with the fear of looming high rents. Also note that Kingsbridge is not part of the South Bronx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP5mQR1deWY
Ice skating ring will also be a boost to the Bronx specifically that area. People need to get with the program. The Bronx needs such developments in order to improve. Because obviously the current demographic of residents are complacent and will not improve the Bronx for the better.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:05 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
Quote:
I see weirdos walking in and around 141st and Willis from time to time. However I sure do hate Chinese takeout spot in that block. I do agree about the areas you mentioned not receiving some sort of gentrification. Mostly like these areas you mentioned will remain hood forever. Let's see how Kingsbridge ice skating rink will do for the community.
You want good chinese food in the south bronx? Foo hing. 143rd and third

Old 03-16-2015, 01:10 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
Highbridge is gonna take a while to gentrify. The city needs to focus on developing the waterfront property and adding other amenities which will draw people to the bronx.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
So serious question .

I've been looking to move lately and have realized that buying a co-op is actually the better rationale (with a high down payment; ~50-60%) then renting at these absurd prices.

My range is around 120k and there are a few places around Yankee Stadium on E157 and E158 adjacent to the park/grand concourse and across the street from the Bronx County Clerk.

How's the area?

Last edited by wawaweewa; 03-16-2015 at 06:21 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, Westchester, Wakefield, Baychester, and parts of Staten Island (South Shore) will get some new settlers (in addition to those who will move to the South).
I highly doubt that. @ most the spillover will go into Yonkers which is the most affordable part of westchester. Most of Westchester is highly wealthy so theyre not going to go there. South Shore??????? Try stapleton if they even go down there. besides i dont think people like airborne guy want those folks as his new neighbors.

So far the Bronx has been stubbornly resistant to gentrification. And although NY is one of the models of gentrification, theres still large swaths of the city that havent been conquered by the gentrifier wave. Half of bushwick is still rough the same can be said for bed stuy and crown hts. Flatbush and the East Flatbush are damn near untouched. The city is trying to manually start a gentrification wave in East NY. This is not DC or san francisco where gentrification swallowed up darn near the entire city bc the city area was small.

You mention Chicago and what they did with their public housing. You forgot to mention how it took YEARS upon YEARS to evict the people out the projects and then it took even more time before they were finally bulldozed....and NYCHA has ALOT MORE public housing than the CHA ever did so yea....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City