Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 10:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
How were you able to attend NYU?
It was paid for you, scholarships, you paid?
my parents paid. back in 1986, 4 year tuition cost $32k total at NYU.
we come from a middle class background and our family and relatives have resided in the 5 boroughs for 70 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
we come from a middle class background and our family and relatives have resided in the 5 boroughs for 70 years.
4 years at NYU now must be pushing 240k.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:40 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
4 years at NYU now must be pushing 240k.
Who goes to NYU except for underachieving foreign students who couldn't make it to good schools in their home countries or in the US or clueless non NYC'ers who drink the NYU kool-aid because all they really want to do is experience NYC for a few years.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:53 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
puerto rico is not ESSENTIALLY american. it's a territory, but liable for it's debts, not covered by the US govt. it's a quasi sovereign, unless attacked, which the US is there to protect. there is a big difference between a territory and state in terms of legal status. an illegal entering puerto rican does not become American, EVER and won't ever even thru immigration reform.

there were two big white flight periods in NYC history, when the southern blacks came up in the early 1900's and during the civil rights movement in the 60's.

According to Queens 2012 census estimates, 27.2% of the population was White,[13] 20.9% Black or African American, 24.8% Asian, 12.9% from some other race, and 2.7% of two or more races. 27.9% of Queens's population was of Hispanic or Latino origin (of any race).[14]

What are the major ethnicities in Brooklyn?
Race and Ethnicity 2010 Data — data in parenthesis is 2008 estimated data
42.8% (51.4%) are White
34.3% (37.2%) are Black or African-American
0.5% (0.5%) are Native American Indian and/or Alaska Native persons
0.0% (0.1%) are Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (although listed as 0.0%, it's actually 1,243 persons in 2010)
10.5% (9.3%) are Asian
36.8% are White persons of non-Hispanic/Latino origin
19.8% (19.2%) are of Latino or Hispanic origin
10.1% (10.1%) reporting some other race
2.8% (1.6%) reporting two or more races
37.8% were born in a foreign country
46.7% speak a language other than English at home

according to the 2012 American Community Survey, White Americans made up 58.9% of Manhattan's population; non-Hispanic whites made up 50.7% of the population. Black Americans made up 15.5% of Manhattan's population; non-Hispanic blacks made up 13.0% of the population. Native Americans made up 0.3% of the population. Asian Americans made up 10.3% of the population. Multiracial Americans made up 3.4% of the population. Hispanics and Latinos made up 23.8% of Manhattan's population

another dumb transplant with no knowledge of NYC history and current facts
wow youre one stupid fockkk......since u wanna play census games....

BROOKLYN 2010 census

49.5% White (35.8% non-Hispanic White)
35.8% African American
1.0% Native American
11.3% Asian
0.1% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
2.2% Two or more races
8.9% Other races
19.8% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)

QUEENS 2013 estimate

Non-Hispanic white 26.7%
Black or African American 20.9%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 28.0%
Asian 25.2%

BRONX 2013 estimate

Non-Hispanic white 10.5%
Black or African American 43.3%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 54.6%
Asian 4.2%

STATEN ISLAND 2010 census

64.0% non-Hispanic White
10.6% Black or African American
17.3% Staten Island's population was of Hispanic or Latino origin (of any race)
7.5% Asian

so the debate is how whites are outnumbered in every outer bourough except staten island.... according to these figures, this is exactly true......esp if you add blacks, latinos and asians......to be majority you have to be @ least between 45 and 50%......in these figures whites dont even come close to that number. So according to this i know EXACTLY what im talking about and youre just butthurt that:

- the other outer bouroughs are not staten island
- that white people have to share new york with nonwhite people

Furthermore, youve shown yourself to be another keyboard warrior, internet toughguy, and CD retard. Please have a seat when grown folks and smart people are talking

Old 10-10-2015, 12:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
It looks like Chipotle is also coming to 161st street. All we need know is Shake Shack. Thankfully in my neighborhood I have access to 4 southern Mexican cuisine spots.

Chipotle To Join Starbucks in Melrose in The South Bronx | Welcome2TheBronx

Old 10-11-2015, 10:13 AM

85 posts, read 64,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Who are the real New Yorkers?

The housing project and social services crowd, dependent upon programs financed by the federal government?

Rich white New Yorkers are indistinguishable from the Midwestern white kids you hate. They go to the same universities, have the same social services and they can all AFFORD to live where they want to. This is something denied to working class and poor New Yorkers of color who increasingly will have to live in the Bronx or the poor parts of Brooklyn.

For any well paying job in the private sector in NYC, employers would by far prefer to hire WHITE KIDS (whether New Yorker or Midwestern or European) that NYC born non whites. For those that choose to stay in NYC they definitely can make it and they will do well. Do not delude yourself. The city and the nation revolves around them. There is no NYC privilege but there is certainly white privilege.

I have known many educated white transplants and immigrants who moved to NYC and who establish themselves here.

Meanwhile what you call real New Yorkers can only dream of living in or even NEAR Manhattan.
You sound like a white country-bumpkin from flyover dumpster midwest where a $400k McMansion on mortgage made your parents feel "rich", who upon moving to the city, discovered that whites were nobody special, and so needed to desperately cling onto your hilarious delusions of fantasized white privilege as a coping mechanism.

I have lived in the city all my life, except for a year in a suburb. You sound desperate to convince yourself of something, and nothing you say corresponds to reality.

Its funny, the per capita income nationally of whites is below Asian Americans, so among middle class tiers, you are not number 1 either. The richest transplants in NYC are not white Americans, but are the East Asian or Arab foreigners who buy $25 million condo units that are empty most months of the year, or until their child is old enough and flies from somewhere in Asia or a boarding school in Surrey, England to the US for college.

No one from the global elite jetset ever moved to Anycity, Podunk State, USA. So your whole life you thought that the only rich people on earth were white.

Last edited by Islander7; 10-11-2015 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 12:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
You sound like a white country-bumpkin from flyover dumpster midwest where a $400k McMansion on mortgage made your parents feel "rich", who upon moving to the city, discovered that whites were nobody special, and so needed to desperately cling onto your hilarious delusions of fantasized white privilege as a coping mechanism.

I have lived in the city all my life, except for a year in a suburb. You sound desperate to convince yourself of something, and nothing you say corresponds to reality.

Its funny, the per capita income nationally of whites is below Asian Americans, so among middle class tiers, you are not number 1 either. The richest transplants in NYC are not white Americans, but are the East Asian or Arab foreigners who buy $25 million condo units that are empty most months of the year, or until their child is old enough and flies from somewhere in Asia or a boarding school in Surrey, England to the US for college.

No one from the global elite jetset ever moved to Anycity, Podunk State, USA. So your whole life you thought that the only rich people on earth were white.
I'm not white.

That does not exclude white privilege and that fact that whites from other places who move to NYC are more likely to be affluent and have better educations than native born new yorkers of color. And they will get better jobs and move up in NYC in far greater numbers. This has to do with national socioeconomic forces, and wealthy Asians coming here actually does NOTHING to CHANGE that.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:31 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It looks like Chipotle is also coming to 161st street. All we need know is Shake Shack. Thankfully in my neighborhood I have access to 4 southern Mexican cuisine spots.

Chipotle To Join Starbucks in Melrose in The South Bronx | Welcome2TheBronx
This is great news!
I love how the article disses it as "generic" fast food chain. Yet there are already plenty in the area. (McDonalds, Subway, dunkin Donuts, the Chicken places etc. ) While chipotle isn't the healthiest food it offers choices to people.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 10-11-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 01:37 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
You may be from upper middle class, I don't know anyone from a middle class family who can afford to pay to send their children fully to college. I hope you know how fortunate you are and what a big help your parents were able to provide.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:04 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post

As far as I know or think that I know from past info revealed by NYWriterDude about himself, he is black (African-American), is a native New Yorker (raised in Jackson Heights, Queens), attended an Ivy League university, and is apparently a successful (or successful-enough) professional. So all your presumptions about him are incorrect . . . unless some of the facts I think I remember about him as stated here by myself are incorrect. Whether some or all of his varied points and contentions throughout this thread which he started are correct or agreeable to any or all of us is a different topic (I'm sure that will vary amongst the whole cross-section of posters and readers here who partake of this thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City