U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:15 PM

678 posts, read 648,392 times

Advertisements

One NYC family's struggle to survive on a fast food salary Yes you can move to new York because of this article!! people tell me constantly that I cant make it in new York but after reading this my journey sounds like a walk in the friggin' park! I have "plans" to move mid/end of summer. All I know is that if a 25 year old women can support 7 PEOPLE! on a minimum wage job getting paid $8 an hr. Then hell yeah I can move to new York if all im doing is working and going to school
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM

7,658 posts, read 5,433,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
One NYC family's struggle to survive on a fast food salary Yes you can move to new York because of this article!! people tell me constantly that I cant make it in new York but after reading this my journey sounds like a walk in the friggin' park! I have "plans" to move mid/end of summer. All I know is that if a 25 year old women can support 7 PEOPLE! on a minimum wage job getting paid $8 an hr. Then hell yeah I can move to new York if all im doing is working and going to school
still got bladder control

Old 03-15-2015, 03:48 PM

515 posts, read 813,001 times
Quote:
I hope your plan doesn't involve KFC and Brownsville

Old 03-15-2015, 03:48 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,567,578 times
Sounds like a miserable life.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:05 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,434,804 times
Quote:
Before i read into that link, does she get welfare, medicaid, food stamps, ebt and live in public housing, if so thats why its manageable for her and her family and why it wont be as easy for you.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Before i read into that link, does she get welfare, medicaid, food stamps, ebt and live in public housing, if so thats why its manageable for her and her family and why it wont be as easy for you.
Her greatest expense is groceries, so it mentions nothing about paying rent.
It's vague, but there is no way she is swinging 7 on $8 an hour.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:20 PM

25,539 posts, read 21,722,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Her greatest expense is groceries, so it mentions nothing about paying rent.
It's vague, but there is no way she is swinging 7 on $8 an hour.
Her rent was $200 for living in public housing. So she also gets WIC, a program for poor mothers and she was applying for food stamps. I'm sure her mother has her own food stamps.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Her rent was $200 for living in public housing. So she also gets WIC, a program for poor mothers and she was applying for food stamps. I'm sure her mother has her own food stamps.
I see that now, I don't know why they said food at $53 takes up the biggest chunk of her budget.
Ironically, the woman is so poor she can only afford to live in one the most expensive cities in the US.

Can't say I envy her.
Ronald Reagan would have loved her.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:25 PM

40 posts, read 50,521 times
this video made me cry!

Old 03-15-2015, 06:27 PM

7,574 posts, read 5,736,033 times
No vacation, no benefits, no sick days, no personal days. mac and cheese with chicken every night. Sounds like a wonderful life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>