Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 AM

13 posts, read 12,961 times

Advertisements

OK, obvious bias aside by asking this in the NYC forum, I'd like the opinions of the locals.

I've been living overseas for half a decade. I have two BAs and have been working for my host country's government as an administrative assistant and writer. I'm also a musician and writer in my off hours. I'd be doing similar when I return to the US (day job and working to make it in my spare time).

FWIW I can't drive at the moment (making NYC a bit more palatable). :P

My big question: LA or NYC? I ask in terms of the local economy, unemployment rates, how trends in these industries are going, rent prices, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 01:23 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Truthfully the unemployment rates in either city don't matter. The true question is can you personally get a job that would enable you to support yourself.

Which city do you have some sort of support network in? That'll make it a lot easier. Being able to line up a job before you go, or at least having decent job prospects will help as well.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:35 AM

13 posts, read 12,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Truthfully the unemployment rates in either city don't matter. The true question is can you personally get a job that would enable you to support yourself.

Which city do you have some sort of support network in? That'll make it a lot easier. Being able to line up a job before you go, or at least having decent job prospects will help as well.
Hi NYWriterdude, sounds like we might get along!

I have friends/acquaintances in both cities. I will start applying for jobs in whichever city I decide before I leave, as well as ask contacts if they know of anyone who's looking.

I think whether I can support myself is mostly going to matter on rent, and if I were to choose LA, transportation costs as well. Based on what I want to spend on rent, I'd be living in Queens or The Bronx if I chose NYC.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyharlem View Post
Hi NYWriterdude, sounds like we might get along!
Love at first type.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 AM

295 posts, read 281,378 times
What kind of music? Just you and a guitar or keyboard? Full band? Computer/Electronic? Do you have a particular goal in mind? In NYC you're never more than a stone's throw away from a fairly accomplished musician and maybe with another throw, away from someone with a connection somewhere (for instance someone who could get you a gig or an engineer/producer that can put together a much stronger recording than you could ever do yourself). If you can't drive (you should probably learn anyway) you'll be better off in NYC for obvious reasons. You really want to be able to live on next to nothing to keep your options open and going into debt in service of a car will be a ball and chain.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:25 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyharlem View Post
OK, obvious bias aside by asking this in the NYC forum, I'd like the opinions of the locals.

I've been living overseas for half a decade. I have two BAs and have been working for my host country's government as an administrative assistant and writer. I'm also a musician and writer in my off hours. I'd be doing similar when I return to the US (day job and working to make it in my spare time).

FWIW I can't drive at the moment (making NYC a bit more palatable). :P

My big question: LA or NYC? I ask in terms of the local economy, unemployment rates, how trends in these industries are going, rent prices, etc.
You'll probably need to budget $1500 per month minimum on rent for a decent place with subway access in either Queens or the Bronx. More like $1700 or $1800 would be better. I have no idea what rent places are like in LA so can't compare.

One thing that did change in the 5 years you've been away is that rents have really gone up a lot.

If you arrive without a job, you'd probably have to start out in a roommate situation because landlords in NY are not too flexible with potential tenants who can't prove they make 40x the income (for a $1500 apartment that would be $60,000 per year gross).

Old 03-01-2015, 11:00 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
If you can't drive there really is no choice: it's NYC. In LA driving is your oxygen.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
If you can't drive there really is no choice: it's NYC. In LA driving is your oxygen.
Not true.

Believe it or not there are poor people in Los Angeles. They take the bus and train along with some middle class people.

It's just that in big cities people only want to see the richest people. Just as there are plenty of people in LA taking public transportation, there are many people in Manhattan living in housing projects or program housing though people like to pretend everyone in Manhattan is outrageously wealthy. Not true.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:29 AM

237 posts, read 329,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Uber.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:37 AM

237 posts, read 329,757 times
OP: if you come to L.A. admin. assts can get on as personal assistants to industry people(film/tv). Or work in law firms, etc.. Since you're a writer, L.A. can be a good fit depending on what you write. The choices on that front should be obvious to you. NYC is expensive. L.A. somewhat less so..Ubering around is fairly cheap. That said..if you end up working on sets..YOU WILL NEED A CAR, FULL STOP. If you plan on actually playing gigs as a musician..CAR.

If for some reason you're blocked from driving..go to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: