Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:19 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Moving within the company does not mean staying in NYC, or starting in NYC. One can work in DE as a career step and be transferred to a higher post in NYC. One can get experience in DE, and land a higher post in another company in NYC. Or even London, Tokyo or SFO. Experience supersedes location whether when one is moving up internally or jumping companies. If most of the entry level and mid-management positions are elsewhere, they will have the advantage when it comes to getting promoted.
I disagree, networking trumps all especially when you are looking to transition into different type of job in which your experience does not have a direct relationship. During the golden days of wall street it was common for people in the back office (support role) who came from a less prestigious university to earn a quick reputation and move to the front office (revenue producing role), all you needed to know was a senior person in the front office who liked you and would vouch for you. Now a days to the front office, you are just a guy on the phone who has better English than the person in India.

Knowing the CEO and CFO of the company will open a lot more doors for you than whatever exaggerated claim you plan to list on a resume paper as experience you received (in which you will submit over the internet). I doubt you would claim corporate job is a meritocracy of fairness in which the most qualified person gets the job, rather it the person who is liked the best. Hence there is a lot of white male privilege at the corporate level. I would say women have it the worse, having to deal with sleazy bosses and double standards. I think the tv show "mad men" does a good illustration of it.

Last edited by NYer23; 03-24-2015 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 06:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I disagree, networking trumps all especially when you are looking to transition into different type of job in which your experience does not have a direct relationship. During the golden days of wall street it was common for people in the back office (support role) who came from a less prestigious university to earn a quick reputation and move to the front office (revenue producing role), all you needed to know was a senior person in the front office who liked you and would vouch for you. Now a days to the front office, you are just a guy on the phone who has better English than the person in India.

Knowing the CEO and CFO of the company will open a lot more doors for you than whatever exaggerated claim you plan to list on a resume paper as experience you received (in which you will submit over the internet). I doubt you would claim corporate job is a meritocracy of fairness in which the most qualified person gets the job, rather it the person who is liked the best. Hence there is a lot of white male privilege at the corporate level. I would say women have it the worse, having to deal with sleazy bosses and double standards.
Too many generalizations in your post. You can network from wherever you work in the world. My first job was with the Southeast Asian office of an MNC and I had colleagues who networked their way to assignments in the major hub offices in NY, Raleigh and San Jose. I know how it's done and it's not that difficult - managers will even create opportunities for their most promising employees to network and will put it in their career objectives. One can get an assignment in a cross functional team or special project and get exposed to colleagues and executives around the world. In my current employer, an investment bank, we take assignees from everywhere whether Madrid, Tokyo or Jacksonville. P&G, Unilever, and Shell are some of the many large companies that routinely offer employees everywhere the opportunity to network into their HQ. The current CEO of Coca Cola and his predecessor came from overseas branch offices which goes to show that the most ambitious employees stand out regardless of location.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 03-24-2015 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Are we thinking that East Flatbush would be a good location for banks to setup low cost satellite locations? Either that or this thread really went off topic.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:56 AM

14 posts, read 41,605 times
A lot of these comments got off topic. I think the area is improving- my background: I purchased an apt in East Flatbush (29th & Foster- 2nd to last stop on 2/5 train) in my early 20s in 2008 & never had an issue- I lived there for 4 years and took cabs home after 10pm (I'm a female). I ended up moving out and subletting it to a professional couple for one year and my current tenant is an older woman. I think if you like the area you should check it out to see how it is. I stay in touch with my previous neighbors and their feelings are that it is improving

Old 04-04-2015, 10:11 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescot1 View Post
A lot of these comments got off topic. I think the area is improving- my background: I purchased an apt in East Flatbush (29th & Foster- 2nd to last stop on 2/5 train) in my early 20s in 2008 & never had an issue- I lived there for 4 years and took cabs home after 10pm (I'm a female). I ended up moving out and subletting it to a professional couple for one year and my current tenant is an older woman. I think if you like the area you should check it out to see how it is. I stay in touch with my previous neighbors and their feelings are that it is improving
Just curious - where did you live before 29th and Foster?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-18-2015, 10:19 AM

Harlem 135 St between Broadway & Riverside - that area is now being taken over by Columbia U and young professionals looking for cheaper rent

Old 04-18-2015, 10:20 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescot1 View Post
Harlem 135 St between Broadway & Riverside - that area is now being taken over by Columbia U and young professionals looking for cheaper rent
Oh so u used to the hood.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-18-2015, 10:24 AM

What is your point? Areas change and can get better or worse. This forum asked if that area is getting better and my response was yes- I have seen it done before so u know the signs of when it is happening. Like I said in my original response if you like it then live there and just be careful of your surroundings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Just curious - where did you live before 29th and Foster?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Oh so u used to the hood.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:28 PM

203 posts, read 253,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
P.S. Try looking in the Bronx for cheap rents. There have been several threads over the past few months where people discuss which neighborhoods are good and affordable and have good subway access, etc.

That's where I'd look if I were new to the city, didn't already have a set of friends established in one particular place, and needed cheap rent.
Henna, if you do not mind, can you provide me or tell me what to put in the search box for the links of the above mentioned threads? Maybe I am not putting the correct words in the search box.

We are a family of 3 (DH, 3 yr old Pre-Schooler and myself), moving to Brooklyn in May. My husband will be a resident at The Brooklyn Hospital Center. We are looking for a 2 BR with a $1800 (max $2000) budget. Is that doable? Will need a good pre-school/elementary school as well.

The areas I had in mind were Park Slope, South Park Slope, Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Kensington, Midwood, Winsdsor Terrace, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Clinton Hill. I know my budget is very tight to get into with the areas above (though not for Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Kensington or Midwood).

Am I correct when I say that I want to stay away from Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, Flatbush, Crown Heights. How is Preospect Park and Prospect Lefferts Garden (near the Park / Ocean Ave.?). Any other areas that I overlooked? I am a SAHM and my husband will be driving to TBHC (maybe taking the subway during winter), not decided on the car vs subway part yet (winter or no winter), hence would prefer something walkable close to the subway line.

I am following the color coding for Brooklyn in this map strictly: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...fety-maps.html

Is the Brooklyn map upto date? It was posted 3 years ago, but just want to know if anything has changed since then? For Eg: Is Bed-Stuy / Clinton cusp - 125 Quincy St or 684 Myrtle or 140 Lexington Ave - Are these safe areas for us? I have a toddler and don't want to live in fear all the time while my husband is at work or working late nights.

Thanks !

Old 04-23-2015, 02:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Subway service?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/23...referrer=&_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City