Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and a baby on the way) are relocating to NYC. My husband will be working in Battery Park.

We are looking to rent a 2 BDRM/ 2 BA (at a minimum 2 BDRM, 1.5 BA). We would like to spend no more than $3500 on rent.

Ideally speaking we want to live in Chelsea, Financial District or Battery Park area. This way commute time for my husband will be less and we will still be in Manhattan. We don't want to be in Hoboken or Brooklyn. We'd rather go to Upper West if nothing is available within our price range.

1. Will we be able to find something in the areas that I mention and within our price range?
2. I've been to NY a couple of times and always found the financial district dead at night but I've also heard that places are more affordable there. Is it safe to walk at night in that area?
3. Any other suggestions.....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 05:27 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine2 View Post
My husband and I (and a baby on the way) are relocating to NYC. My husband will be working in Battery Park.

We are looking to rent a 2 BDRM/ 2 BA (at a minimum 2 BDRM, 1.5 BA). We would like to spend no more than $3500 on rent.

Ideally speaking we want to live in Chelsea, Financial District or Battery Park area. This way commute time for my husband will be less and we will still be in Manhattan. We don't want to be in Hoboken or Brooklyn. We'd rather go to Upper West if nothing is available within our price range.

1. Will we be able to find something in the areas that I mention and within our price range?
2. I've been to NY a couple of times and always found the financial district dead at night but I've also heard that places are more affordable there. Is it safe to walk at night in that area?
3. Any other suggestions.....

Thanks
you're at the low end, get a sunday NY Times and view the listings

Old 01-13-2008, 11:12 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,265 times
2BR, 1.5BA places are hard to find in Manhattan and command a premium. As a a previous poster indicated, your $3500/mo budget is on the low end of the scale for Manhattan. You might find something, but there will likely be a trade-off (tiny rooms, 4th floor walk-up etc.).

Battery Park City is beautiful. You literally live on a waterfront esplanade. The main criticism, however, is that you are isolated from the city, with very few grocery stores, etc. To get to lower Manhattan or TriBeCa, you have a cross a pedestrian bridge over West St., which is basically an expressway.

I've read that rents in the financial district are falling a bit. A lot of new luxury buildings went up there in the last few years, with developers taking advantage of post 9/11 tax breaks. Several office buildings were also converted. I guess so far, the area hasn't really reached "critical mass" to become a vibrant 24-hour neighborhood. There are some beautiful brand-new apartments, however. As for the safety, I can't comment specifically, but I can't think of any reason it would be dangerous. The usual advice applies: keep your eyes and ears open.

It will be easier to find 2BR places with more square footage in the outer boroughs or Jersey. Give those areas a chance. A lot of relocators initially have the "Manhattan or nothing" attitude until they get to see how nice some areas outside of Manhattan really are. Park Slope Brooklyn is exceptionally child-friendly and very upscale. When you have your baby, you will find a ton of other families and activities/support systems in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City