Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

Any electrical heat source left on for hours is dangerous.

It could be a cheap Chinese hot plate that fried that caused the fire.

Electrical fires burn fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 06:55 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
They've lost that loophole for the most part since the advent of the internet. Most Orthodox homes longer have a Shabbos Goy. Now the Orthodox call it a myth.
It's not a myth. I and several friends of mine were asked by Jewish neighbors to "help them out". They offered us cake and food for the trouble. Were very polite and nice about it too. I didn't mind helping them but always thought the idea pretty ridiculous. Course I kept that to myself.

Last edited by Aeran; 03-24-2015 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 07:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
It's not a myth. I and several friends of mine were asked by Jewish neighbors to "help them out". They offered us cake and free food. Were very polite and nice about it too. I didn't mind but always thought the idea was pretty ridiculous. Course I kept that to myself.
I think it's ridiculous too. If I want to initiate and complete an action (say, turning on a light) but don't do it because a rabbi told me not to, and then find someone else to do it instead, isn't that essentially the same as my initiating the action in the first place? Especially since I'm the one asking to have it done?

I can guess the answer is that to them it's not the same. But...sorry, it's the same!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think it's ridiculous too. If I want to initiate and complete an action (say, turning on a light) but don't do it because a rabbi told me not to, and then find someone else to do it instead, isn't that essentially the same as my initiating the action in the first place? Especially since I'm the one asking to have it done?

I can guess the answer is that to them it's not the same. But...sorry, it's the same!
My sentiments exactly! I was really young at the time and found the request rather silly. Had to bite my tongue to stop blurting out, "why can't you do it"? Anyway, they were very apologetic about it but I admit I was suspicious at first (thought it was a booby trap). I watched too many horror movies when young.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
It's not a myth. I and several friends of mine were asked by Jewish neighbors to "help them out". They offered us cake and food for the trouble. Were very polite and nice about it too. I didn't mind helping them but always thought the idea was pretty ridiculous. Course I kept that to myself.
Of course it's not a myth and keeping it quiet is key for most to continue to do it even though it is a violation of the 613 Mitzvot themselves in the Torah. And BTW, you've listed one of the loopholes depending on how the food ended up in your hands. If the food was simply shared, then no payment was exchanged thus you were not momentarily employed by them. If the food was given to you for doing it, then you were momentarily employed by them. Basically what the Torah/Talmud states is that you can't do it nor someone who is employed by you. The slick re-interpretation by some group of Rabbis is what allows it to be done.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Of course it's not a myth and keeping it quiet is key for most to continue to do it even though it is a violation of the 613 Mitzvot themselves in the Torah. And BTW, you've listed one of the loopholes depending on how the food ended up in your hands. If the food was simply shared, then no payment was exchanged thus you were not momentarily employed by them. If the food was given to you for doing it, then you were momentarily employed by them. Basically what the Torah/Talmud states is that you can't do it nor someone who is employed by you. The slick re-interpretation by some group of Rabbis is what allows it to be done.
As I recall, they insisted that I sit down and and have a piece of cake with them or some type of appetizer. You really could not refuse. I particularly remember this because I would go to great lengths to avoid them on occasion because sometimes I simply did not have the time to sit down with them and eat some food! (as pleasant as they were and good company). The cake and food were delicious btw. Would have loved to just take it with me but that would've been really rude.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
As I recall, they insisted that I sit down and and have a piece of cake with them or some type of appetizer. You really could not refuse. I particularly remember this because I would go to great lengths to avoid them on occasion because sometimes I simply did not have the time to sit down with them and eat some food! (as pleasant as they were and good company). The cake and food were delicious btw. Would have loved to just take it with me but that would've been really rude.
Thus you were a Shabbos Goy and they were not in violation of any mitzvot per their Rabbi.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:22 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
General Colin Powell was also a Shabbos Goy for awhile, growing up in the Bronx. When he travelled to Israel as Secretary of State, he floored Israel's leaders by addressing them in Yiddish.

Pruzhany, thanks for posting the family photo in post #104. It's important to consider what's been lost here.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:43 AM

Time to bring this thread to a close.

https://youtu.be/Rrxli4LyJCk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City