Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:54 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times

Advertisements

not everyone feels the need to live in a hip area.

I know i could care less.

non hip, means nice and cheap......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 AM

857 posts, read 1,199,952 times
bc alot of the "hip" white people moving into the city came from the westchester NJ and LI suburbs......isnt this the whole point of the back to the city and gentrify movement? to get out of the suburbs that are not "hip"?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.man View Post
LOL, you really think the "hip" residents were the ones that spearheaded the charge into Bushwick and Bedstuy? Just stop, guy.

It's got nothing to do with distance. Plenty of affordable and safe housing right outside and even inside Manhattan, but you and I both know the reason they won't tread there.

Jeeze - I suppose any knownothing can spout off and when they see their text on the screen... it becomes real!

On the other hand, you might think hip white people just means... white people. In which case, its a simple comprehension failure.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:28 AM

148 posts, read 302,321 times
In NYC, hipness directly correlates to proximity to the city. Even in the 5 boroughs the farther you are from Manhattan the less hip it gets and the more normal/middle class it gets. There are plenty of desirable suburbs, and some have more liberal/gay reputations (the river towns in Westchester, West Nyack, and Sayville on Long Island for instance) but you aren't going to find any hipsters there, thank god. NYC is huge, unlike Boston which is tiny so it got gentrified out and spread its hipster-ness to Somerville and Cambridge. In order for the suburbs to get hip, gentrification would have to spread to the farthest reaches of the city, when Little Neck, Queens and Eastchester in the Bronx get gentrified out is when you will start seeing "hip" spread to the burbs. Fat chance of that happening. Places like Jersey city and Hoboken are "hip" (actually they are more yuppie first year Finance types than the contrived "artists" in Bushwick or something) because even though they aren't part of NYC, they are right next to Manhattan and essentially extensions of the city.

I have moved farther out intentionally to get away from "hip" types, I am not a fan and as you can see from this thread neither are most native New Yorkers who don't have a specific agenda (like owning property in a gentrifying area).

Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 AM

69 posts, read 93,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Jeeze - I suppose any knownothing can spout off and when they see their text on the screen... it becomes real!

On the other hand, you might think hip white people just means... white people. In which case, its a simple comprehension failure.
What's your definition of "hip?"

Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
our neighbors to the South (NJ) have Hoboken and Jersey City, and to some extent, Red Bank and Morristown.

New York has nothing. yes, I guess the outer boroughs could be considered "hip suburbs" (parts of Brooklyn, Queens, etc.) but nothing outside of that.

your thoughts?
Its debatable whether or not places like Hoboken, or Jersey City or even Newark are considered NYC suburbs especially since these places are urban and located in another state. According to Mr. Know it all Gantz and NYwriterdude these places are considered NYC suburbs. But personally, Hoboken and Jersey City are pretty hip these days, yet I don't know if I should call them hip suburbs. I would not call outer boroughs hip especially suburb parts of Bronx and Queens which connect with Westchester and Long Island hip. Nothing hip about Staten Island either. There is nothing edgy about them, its far away from the city, long commute to job centers, nothing much going on, but yet solidly middle class. Nothing hip about Queens or Brooklyn at the moment besides the extreme western edge of Queens and North Western Brooklyn which parallel Manhattan. Northwestern Brooklyn and Western Queens is hip due to close proximity to Manhattan, amenities have grown in these areas, along with close proximity to job centers of Manhattan which attracted young educated suburban white rejects across the Tri State area and the rest of the country.

The closer you are to Manhattan the more hip it is. Prior to this notion the more close to Manhattan the more low income, the more high crime and high poverty it would have been, a term known as inner city, but this term has been dying out in urban areas as of recently. The further you go out of NYC like Staten Island is heavily suburban, Eastern Queens like Bayside, Luarlton, St Albans Rosedale are suburban, places like Throgs Neck in the Bronx, Woodlawn, Country Club, City Island even Riverdale has a suburban feel. Brooklyn does not connect with a suburb, but some areas have suburban feel like Beach Gate. Also the more further out the more middle class these areas are.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
The hipster you see around in hoboken or JC don't live in that area. Real residents are old maids and working professionals.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
They'd have to be near left leaning universities. There aren't that many of them in the NYC suburbs. Maybe out by Stony Brook on Long Island you can check out Port Jefferson.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,500 times
They do exist: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/fa...-new-york.html

Just not as much coverage yet, especially since these are still like...roughly an hour commute to Midtown.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Closest New York State match would be some Hudson valley towns along the Hudson Line, though they appeal to an older crowd than the usual "hip" neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City