Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:41 AM

575 posts, read 672,270 times

Advertisements

You might consider searching for a crash pad. These are apts or homes, with multiple beds, even bunk beds, commonly used by airline employees who are in and out of town. Try Craig's List as a place to start. These are not places where people actually live, but who want the ability to have a home away from home of sorts, and usually people about your age. In your case it would be a place to crash, just like an airline employee. I only have one friend that I know of, a Continental employee, based in Houston but his home is not there. They are usually near the airports. Brooklyn Museum is not that close to JFK or LGA, but you have a free Metro Card and you are young, so who cares. A few million people commute farther than this distance.

This is a short definition from Wikipedia and may be worth looking into: "A crashpad is a location used by airline employees for temporary lodging and is not generally used a permanent domicile or permanent place of residence. A crashpad is strictly a place one can use to rest, eat meals, clean-up ones self and their clothes before returning to work. Many are based at an airport other than the location in which they live. A crashpad is used for resting and sleeping when commuting before or after a trip, or working a shift or shift(s). Single-family homes, apartments, and hotels are common dwellings that airline employees use as a crashpad."

This might be worth looking into. Check with Mr. Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 AM

575 posts, read 672,270 times
By the way, you are lucky to be compensated at all for a good internship anyway.

My daughter interned in Music City and got no compensation at all. "Hey Dad, I hate to ask you but . . ." "Of course honey, I planned for this. And next year you will be asking me about studying abroad." She did.

Of course I visited her in both places. London is more fun than Nashville. And about 4 or 5 times the cost of living too. LOL

Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,125 times
Here's a suggestion that bubbled up as I read all the above posters and combined a few ideas.

You scored an internship at Brooklyn Museum, so I assume you have college education and can speak English well. If you also are ready to work with children, then read on.

Seek living quarters with a Brooklyn or Manhattan family by offering nanny services part-time to school-aged children, as long as you can work out a compatible schedule with your paid museum internship.

Try running your own Craigslist ad under Domestic Services, or try replying to ads others have posted. Look for 15-20 hours/week childcare, living quarters, no salary, and some scheduling flexibility.

Think over your skills and offer what you might do for them. Examples: homework help, music practice supervision, simple meal preparation tasks, some light housework. If you're a native or fluent English speaker, state that, as it is prized. If you also have any foreign languages, list them but state truthfully whether they are "fluent speaking" or "reading/academic only."

Keep the focus on their child as you try to get a family to reply and interview you. If you're far away, skype the interview. Then, as you negotiate terms, keep the emphasis on bedroom privacy, unless you don't mind living in same bedroom as a child. Don't sleep in with an infant, or you'll be too tired to work the internship. Be clear that you must honor the hours required by your internship, as well as theirs, planned in advance. No last-minute emergency childcare, such as a child home from school for illness. They'll have to make other arrangements for that.

I recommend you focus on school-age children, perhaps in a two-career household, because their schedules are more predictable than infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers. However, if you find some wonderful stay-at-home parent that just wants some relief from fulltime care, and has living quarters for you, that could also work.

Personal safety note: Ask that your first interview be in a public place, even a Starbucks. Never go directly to a private address, based only on Craigslist correspondence. If the first interview in public goes well, have the second interview in their home to see the living quarters and meet the child.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 03-26-2015 at 07:34 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Blech. I think I'd rather live like a 3rd world immigrant than find myself raising somebody else's kid.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:50 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Personally I'd pitch a tent on the museum's roof. You can't live on 15K in NYC in 2015.

Although Brightrabbit's point is a actually a very good one. Check it out.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 03-29-2015 at 05:54 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 AM

93 posts, read 109,900 times
Sugar Daddy.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,451 times
I thought this thread was a goof on all the humblebragging "Moving to NYC with a salary of 500k, Can I afford Manhattan" threads.

Get a share with a bunch of other kids OP, you'll get by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City