Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM

575 posts, read 672,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
But the city and the state should have a working relationship. With lack of leadership, that's not happening.
Sort of like the lack of leadership at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Ruining NYC and USA at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 PM

493 posts, read 511,621 times
My car is worth all the hell i deal with living in the city. My son is five never been on the subway (the lirr, metro north, amtrak YES, subway noway).I know people have to but its so unsanitary and I just never know what the person next to me is liable to do. The constant rush of beggars and loud ghetto people. The crowded station where you are one step from falling off. Just not my thing.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:27 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Has anyone ever taken the C or E train northbound to 34th street? Have you seen the crowd of people trying to transfer from the LIRR to the subway? . People are backed up from the platform all the way down the stairs into Penn Station sometimes! When I use to get off on that stop for work I use to say to myself, "If I had to endure this every morning I would make it my duty to find another job elsewhere!" Either that or find a different way to commute in.
I take that train every day. There's two problems.
1) Now there's some sort of interminable "construction" blocking part of the hall from the lower level of the subway station to Penn Station. If more than one subway train arrives at a time, that hall becomes a bottleneck. Exit by the stairs at track level to avoid.

2) If something happens on the LIRR or in the Hudson River Tunnels, that end of the Penn Station mezzanine level itself can fill up. This isn't normal though.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It's a one-sided relationship. The state controls the budget so working relationship is moot. Blasio was in Albany recently begging for the additional $15bn needed to fully upgrade the MTA and came back empty handed.
I'm pretty sure NYC can find some leverage when it comes to negotiations with the state it is a part of and pretty much supports.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure NYC can find some leverage when it comes to negotiations with the state it is a part of and pretty much supports.
Short answer is "No", with some qualifications. NYC does not have enough representation in the state legislature to get that big an amount. Majority of assembly members are either upstate and/or suburban, while the senate is GOP controlled. NYC may be able to squeeze a couple of billions here and there, but nowhere near the $15bn needed to fill the MTA capital budget gap.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Short answer is "No", with some qualifications. NYC does not have enough representation in the state legislature to get that big an amount. Majority of assembly members are either upstate and/or suburban, while the senate is GOP controlled. NYC may be able to squeeze a couple of billions here and there, but nowhere near the $15bn needed to fill the MTA capital budget gap.
The suburbs should have a shared interest. And the GOPs issue is more with deBlasio than anything else. You made it sound like our mayor wasn't even successful squeezing the couple billion here or there either.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
The suburbs should have a shared interest. And the GOPs issue is more with deBlasio than anything else. You made it sound like our mayor wasn't even successful squeezing the couple billion here or there either.
You need that $15bn to dramatically improve the subway system. It's either you get it all, or nothing - no newer cars, no more upgrades to the Queens railway lines, no more new signaling systems, no ifs, no buts. At the end of the day, the issue boils down to money, not party lines or personalities. It's a game of numbers, not reason. Would Bloomberg have tried congestion pricing if he could easily get funding from Albany? And the suburbs have their own issues to deal with, so don't count on them to give their wholehearted support.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 03-28-2015 at 04:58 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
You need that $15bn to dramatically improve the subway system. It's either you get it all, or nothing - no newer cars, no more upgrades to the Queens railway lines, no more new signaling systems, no ifs, no buts. At the end of the day, the issue boils down to money, not party lines or personalities. It's a game of numbers, not reason. Would Bloomberg have tried congestion pricing if he could easily get funding from Albany? And the suburbs have their own issues to deal with, so don't count on them to give their wholehearted support.
There has to be plenty of other programs to cut as a cost savings to offset some of this $15bn ask. Even this $15bn ask, I'm sure they can cut it to only cover the necessities.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
There has to be plenty of other programs to cut as a cost savings to offset some of this $15bn ask. Even this $15bn ask, I'm sure they can cut it to only cover the necessities.
Yes, but the operative question is whose programs are going to be cut. The obvious answer is it will all fall on NYC, not the suburbs, not upstate. Nobody outside of the city will sacrifice their money to pay for the city's subways. The state is already cutting funding for NYC's homeless shelters and public schools. What else in the city can be cut without breaking its back? It's not like municipalities in NY are in surplus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City