Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Miss. Girl is shredding documents! *LOL*

Somebody better check her pocketbook for a passport! *LOL*

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2167908
Some poor schmucks fresh out of cadet school are going to be busy with scotch tape this summer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
sucks for her. greedy money hungry murderer.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 PM

Pretty surprised noone has published a picture yet of owner Maria Hrynenko who tapped the con ed gas lines

Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 AM

What makes no sense about splitting the gas line, the LL doesn't pay for the gas, each tenant pays thier own gas? right? so what would make them do that?

On the news this morning, saying what we have been reading about con ed shutting it off and then someone turned it back on, then the explosion.

The LL will be prosecuted, and rightfully so.

Who plays with gas lines???? Who does this?????

and on another note, I think if the LL told ME not to call con ed, to call her, I would have told her, and WTF are you gonna do???? moron!!! of course Im calling 911, and con ed......from across the street. LOL

Old 04-01-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and on another note, I think if the LL told ME not to call con ed, to call her, I would have told her, and WTF are you gonna do???? moron!!! of course Im calling 911, and con ed......from across the street. LOL
It didn't go down like that, the Korean guy who ran the Sushi restaurant knew they were doing work in the back - this is what he told the press. When he smelled gas he thought the best thing to do was contact the owner because her people were on site doing something. I don't think he's wrong for doing that

But on the messing with gas pipes, man I don't know what to say. That's as dumb as dumb can be, especially by the OWNER who should know very well about the concept of LIABILITY

Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It didn't go down like that, the Korean guy who ran the Sushi restaurant knew they were doing work in the back - this is what he told the press. When he smelled gas he thought the best thing to do was contact the owner because her people were on site doing something. I don't think he's wrong for doing that

But on the messing with gas pipes, man I don't know what to say. That's as dumb as dumb can be, especially by the OWNER who should know very well about the concept of LIABILITY
I'm sorry, I don't agree. That decision falls under the category of "dumb."

Sure they were doing work, but my logic tells me con edison is the one to call if I smell gas, for they have the knowledge of what to do, not some dumb contractor, which is exactly what happened.

Just because the building had a contracting company working there doesnt make them competant, trust me, there are a lot of contractors out there that dont know a hammer from a nail.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't agree. That decision falls under the category of "dumb."

Sure they were doing work, but my logic tells me con edison is the one to call if I smell gas, for they have the knowledge of what to do, not some dumb contractor, which is exactly what happened.

Just because the building had a contracting company working there doesnt make them competant, trust me, there are a lot of contractors out there that dont know a hammer from a nail.
I don't think it was necessarily dumb. When you call Con Ed there's going to be a delay before people show up. If you know people are there already, it makes sense to get in touch with them as he tried to do, because they will be able to address the situation faster.

That being said, at the first strong smell he should have shut down the restaurant and had everyone evacuate the building

Old 04-01-2015, 11:44 AM

"The working theory is that one or more gas lines were surreptitiously tapped over several months; then the siphoning apparatus was dismantled or hidden on Thursday before Consolidated Edison conducted an inspection. As soon as the utility inspectors left, an attempt to resume the diversion of gas went awry, setting off the explosion, according to two law enforcement sources
Investigators are focusing on the possibility that the building’s landlord, Maria Hrynenko, or others might have instructed residents on how to respond to questions from Con Edison workers about the gas service.
"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/ny...siphoning.html

All these people should be in jail already

Old 04-01-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
"The working theory is that one or more gas lines were surreptitiously tapped over several months; then the siphoning apparatus was dismantled or hidden on Thursday before Consolidated Edison conducted an inspection. As soon as the utility inspectors left, an attempt to resume the diversion of gas went awry, setting off the explosion, according to two law enforcement sources
Investigators are focusing on the possibility that the building’s landlord, Maria Hrynenko, or others might have instructed residents on how to respond to questions from Con Edison workers about the gas service.
"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/ny...siphoning.html

All these people should be in jail already

This I agree with.

2 young men are dead because of this, and the other tenants of the other buildings now have no home.

this is unacceptable!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
[/color][/u][/b]This I agree with.

2 young men are dead because of this, and the other tenants of the other buildings now have no home.

this is unacceptable!
Yet it seems to be more common than many assume.

Sketchy Gas Hookup Possibly "Hidden" From Con Ed Minutes Before East Village Explosion: Gothamist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City