Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:09 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,188 times

Advertisements

Sorry bud but if you have to ask, you are probably a lost cause. But like I said earlier, lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Where can I find me one of those?
Same here. Website, please!!!

Old 03-27-2015, 07:31 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
You've got a part time girlfriend, you're definitely Hoboken material. But at 90K, maybe more of a JC or Queens budget.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 PM

515 posts, read 875,461 times
If you want to live in Hoboken you might have to make her full-time to make it work. Personally, that's a risk I wouldn't take so go for JC or Queens like nybbler said.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:26 PM

285 posts, read 868,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I have an offer from a friend and his new start up company in Chelsea.

The salary will either get bumped up to about $150K after a year or the company will go bust and I'll just move on.

I'm 40 and I don't really go out or do much besides work and try to stay in shape. I.e. I don't care about bars or restaurants but being near a park to go running would be good. I have a part time girlfriend in Union Square who I'd see a few nights a week.

I lived in Williamsburg a long time ago. My rent was only $700 if that gives you any idea.

Anyway, I know $90K in NYC is probably $30K where I live now but I hate my current life and want to see if I could do NYC again.

I just know the typical 1990s KIDS areas... E. Village, Astor, Union Square, Williamsburg, etc. I don't really know anything about Queens, or places like Inwood, Battery Park City, New Jersey, etc.

Any tips on where to look for a place?
I won't give you any grief about your girlfriend situation

Forest Hills, Queens is a place you can check out. Much of Forest Hills is accessible by Long Island Railroad (fastest trip to Penn Station ever but it'll cost you more than a Metrocard plus you'll still need a metrocard) or you can just hop on the subway: E, F, M, and R lines. It is close to Manhattan and there are some shops, restaurants, etc. in the area.

Hoboken, downtown Jersey City, Edgewater are nice but not everyone is up for the interstate commuting even though it's a relatively short trip, it's a multi-step strip (might have to take a bus or drive to NYC transportation, then travel to NYC, then get to your job) though many people I know use this as an opportunity to walk.

Not everyone in NYC is loaded. I've known people who made less than $90k and had pretty expensive apartments. I also know mature people who make great salaries but live in inexpensive or studio apartments and have roommates. Everybody feels differently about how much of their salary they're willing to spend on rent. But if you check out some of the areas mentioned here, you can figure out how comfortable you are with the lifestyle.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:55 AM

138 posts, read 208,076 times
It kind of depends which part of Chelsea, but I would suggest Inwood in Manhattan or Kingsbridge / Marble Hill in the Bronx. The former has access to Inwood Hill Park and the latter to one of NYC's most spectacular wild spaces, Van Cortlandt Park. If you're on the west side of Chelsea, the trains from Astoria aren't going to be that useful and while there's a park in Astoria, it can feel like a long way away from some parts of the neighborhood and the whole area is sadly lacking in green space (when I lived there I used to go running in the cemetery if that tells you anything).

Old 04-03-2015, 08:06 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Not sure if it was mentioned or I just didn't see it, but you kinda got to provide some sort of budget in order to get recommendations.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
RE Hoboken and parts of Jersey City - OP should look at his job requirements and see if the commute will be compatible (he said he will work for a startup). I heard PATH service has diminished significantly in the late evenings/early dawn to the downside of those who work unpredictable hours. In that case OP might want to consider somewhere in Manhattan easily accessible by Uber like Yorkville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City